Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Man aged 107 killed *** ***** by police in his bedroom

Man aged 107 killed *** ***** by police in his bedroom

http://www.thv11.com/news/article/27...tout-with-SWAT

Lord knows you can't outwait those 107 year olds, they never ever sleep.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-08-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Inflammatory verbiage edited/deleted
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Moderator Comment

In light of several of our rules (LEO bashing, personal attacks, etc.) please refrain from including descriptors for affect in your threads/posts/replies - an indication of your personal negative bias, but IMO not in keeping with OCDO standards.

We deal in facts. The presentation of overtly negative verbiage, particularly before the facts are fully known, represents a premature conclusion which at best is yellow journalism.

In general, I have observed a decided tendency to seek out and report LEO transgressions, particularly by a few certain users. While such reports are certainly of interest to many here, the preponderance of them seen recently is beyond the intended scope of OCDO.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Of course, he was shooting at them, so it's "justified".

On the other hand, it would take one hell of a "disturbance" to convince me that police actually needed to get the upper hand on this centenarian in the first place. What was the compelling interest preventing them from simply leaving him alone, other than their own egos?

I know that if I were checking out a "disturbance" in my neighborhood, and a 107-year-old neighbor shot through his door at me, I'd consider that an invitation to wrap up my investigation and go home, not a challenge to my masculinity. There's very likely no crime a 107-year-old is going to commit that merits my – or anybody else's – concern.
    Last edited by marshaul; 09-08-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    I can't help but wonder if Agent107 wanted to end it all. Or, was very willing to risk that in order to repel boarders/asssert his right to be left alone.

Separately: a 107-year old operating a handgun. That's one amazing guy. Racking the slide on a semi-auto, or pulling the trigger on a double-action revolver just cannot be easy at that age.

Too bad they had to kill the old guy. But, I can't help wondering if he didn't go with some personal satisfaction from resisting.

If he was resisting because he was tired of government, those dumb cops just played right into his hands.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Never call the police. They're worthless at best, murderous at worst. What functioning adult couldn't diffuse the situation peacefully with a 107 year old man? No, the old man had to be punished. Disgusting.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    SNIP...Too bad they had to kill the old guy. But, I can't help wondering if he didn't go with some personal satisfaction from resisting.

If he was resisting because he was tired of government, those dumb cops just played right into his hands.
    Fight til the end? Compared to the possibility of dying alone in a cold hospital room, riddled with tubes and hooked up to a respirator, having been stripped of dignity, I guess being swarmed by SWAT isn't the worst way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Never call the police. They're worthless at best, murderous at worst. What functioning adult couldn't diffuse the situation peacefully with a 107 year old man? No, the old man had to be punished. Disgusting.
    fortunately, the general public strongly disagrees. Polling data show they overwhelmingly consider the police honest and professional and my Agency routinely handed out anonymous "customer comment cards" to people at calls we responded to. The returned comments showed overwhelmingly positive responses. You can continue in your factfree aversion to the cops, but thankfully most of the public knows it's rubbish and they do dial 911 when they need help.

There's nothing magical about being 107 that renders one a 'non-threat' if one is actiing assaultively with a firearm. One of the strongest reasons I am pro RKBA is that firearms ARE the great equalizer. They offer the physically weak(er) a method of protection - women, the elderly and the infirm. This is not to say all women are weaker than all men, of course. I train on a weightlifting team with some of the strongest women in the country (google Melanie Roach, former Olympian Weightlifter), but on average they are weaker than their attacker. Ditto the elderly and of course the infirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Moderator Comment

In light of several of our rules (LEO bashing, personal attacks, etc.) please refrain from including descriptors for affect in your threads/posts/replies - an indication of your personal negative bias, but IMO not in keeping with OCDO standards.

We deal in facts. The presentation of overtly negative verbiage, particularly before the facts are fully known, represents a premature conclusion which at best is yellow journalism.

In general, I have observed a decided tendency to seek out and report LEO transgressions, particularly by a few certain users. While such reports are certainly of interest to many here, the preponderance of them seen recently is beyond the intended scope of OCDO.
    Shocking sentiment, grape. We're a couple of Sandy Houcks away from private gun ownership being outlawed, not to mention open carry. Nearly half the country believes only those wearing state issued costumes should be armed. Almost the entire country would say police have the right to machine guns, grenades, tanks, etc, while our possession of the same should send us to jail for years.

The police state is here and out of control by any metric, by anyone paying attention.

Shocking sentiment, grape. We're a couple of Sandy Houcks away from private gun ownership being outlawed, not to mention open carry. Nearly half the country believes only those wearing state issued costumes should be armed. Almost the entire country would say police have the right to machine guns, grenades, tanks, etc, while our possession of the same should send us to jail for years.

The police state is here and out of control by any metric, by anyone paying attention.
    Utter rubbish. There are few areas of constitutional law that are proceeding in a more positive fashion than the RKBA. Over the last few decades we have seen a massive expansion in the existence of shall-issue and constitutional carry jurisdictions, as well as reciprocity laws. That's not opinion, that's fact. RKBA is recognized in far more states NOW than 10, 20, or 30 yrs ago. I don't know what fantasy world you are living in, but here in the reality based community, there are few more positive narratives than the story of how courts, and state legislatures are expanding both the constitutional viewpoints on the 2nd amendment (McDonald, Heller, etc.) , as well as the statutory requirements to RKBA (many states moved from may issue to shall issue).

There is no "police state" in the US, which is especially obvious if you've ever visited an actual police state (I have), you will kiss the ground of the US upon return

Banned
    What was the 107 YO's demand? Some Matlock episodes?

The SWAT team was in no real danger .. they have ballistic shields don't they? Well...they work, don't they?

Could have waited 1/2 hr for the guy's nap time.

Good patience for their gestapo agents .. they must have been in a hurry to bust into another house suspected of having a seed of weed germinating.

Quote Originally Posted by PALO View Post
    fortunately, the general public strongly disagrees. Polling data show they overwhelmingly consider the police honest and professional and my Agency routinely handed out anonymous "customer comment cards" to people at calls we responded to. The returned comments showed overwhelmingly positive responses. You can continue in your factfree aversion to the cops, but thankfully most of the public knows it's rubbish and they do dial 911 when they need help.

There's nothing magical about being 107 that renders one a 'non-threat' if one is actiing assaultively with a firearm. One of the strongest reasons I am pro RKBA is that firearms ARE the great equalizer. They offer the physically weak(er) a method of protection - women, the elderly and the infirm. This is not to say all women are weaker than all men, of course. I train on a weightlifting team with some of the strongest women in the country (google Melanie Roach, former Olympian Weightlifter), but on average they are weaker than their attacker. Ditto the elderly and of course the infirm.
    That's sweet about the comment cards, I almost shed a tear. As if your "services" were a product of the market, lol.

Did you read the story? A 107 man was barricaded in his room with no hostages and the police were completely safe. They sent a mad dog killer in to finish the guy off. I'd charge the killer cop with 2nd degree murder.
    Last edited by 77zach; 09-08-2013 at 06:27 PM.

That's sweet about the comment cards, I almost shed a tear. As if your "services" were a product of the market, lol.

Did you read the story? A 107 man was barricaded in his room with no hostages and the police were completely safe. They sent a mad dog killer in to finish the guy off. I'd charge the killer cop with 2nd degree murder.
    My service is respected by the community, if the comment cards are to be believed. Since they are anonymous, people are free to speak their mind, and the minds spoken are overwhelmingly positive towards our agency. And nationwide, according to polling data, the same is true.

I bring this up to reconfirm, for those interested in facts, that your attitude and beliefs about cops is a tiny niche minority attitude/belief set. It will remain so, because the general public will base their beliefs upon their experiences with the cops, despite what the anti-cop bigots want them to believe

I read the story. I know from experience in details *I* have been involved in, that relying on the lay media for accurate details on incidents like this (and it's always about the details ) is problematic at best. There simply is no way to know at this point if it is murder, andor if it's a justifiable shoot even

Your commetns about a "mad dog" killer are amusing, but not relevant to the case at hand. I see nothing in the article even assuming it's accurate on the details that support a charge of "murder". that is simply absurd
    Last edited by PALO; 09-08-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Utter rubbish. There are few areas of constitutional law that are proceeding in a more positive fashion than the RKBA. Over the last few decades we have seen a massive expansion in the existence of shall-issue and constitutional carry jurisdictions, as well as reciprocity laws. That's not opinion, that's fact. RKBA is recognized in far more states NOW than 10, 20, or 30 yrs ago. I don't know what fantasy world you are living in, but here in the reality based community, there are few more positive narratives than the story of how courts, and state legislatures are expanding both the constitutional viewpoints on the 2nd amendment (McDonald, Heller, etc.) , as well as the statutory requirements to RKBA (many states moved from may issue to shall issue).

There is no "police state" in the US, which is especially obvious if you've ever visited an actual police state (I have), you will kiss the ground of the US upon return
    You must be living in an alternate universe. 40 years ago, OC was the law of the nearly everywhere and New Jersey and California had constitutional carry. This year we saw the banning of military pattern firearms in Maryland, New York, Connecticut, and soon the retroactive ban of registered military pattern weapons in California.

Heller and McDonald have done nothing. It is still nearly impossible to REGISTER a revolver in DC (most semiauto's still banned). If I were travel to your state with a machine gun, where they are illegal, regardless of federal law, you would gladly kidnap me on behalf of your masters, ruining my life, and there would be no one to rescue me or even feel bad. If I refused to pay your salary, you would kill me, if I persisted in not paying you.

You should try polling outside your circle of family and friends.

No, but, as I said, there is something about being 107 which makes it incredibly unlikely that the cops had any real compelling reason to get the upper hand on this guy, other than "never let anything go", standard police practice.

"Who gives a **** about preserving the peace? That guy gave us an excuse!"

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    You should try polling outside your circle of family and friends.

No, but, as I said, there is something about being 107 which makes it incredibly unlikely that the cops had any real compelling reason to get the upper hand on this guy, other than "never let anything go", standard police practice.

"Who gives a **** about preserving the peace? That guy gave us an excuse!"
    I've already cited the poll. It was by gallup and nationwide. and it's been year after year. Consistently, cops rate very high in the %age of people who consider us honest and professional. That's not opinion. That's fact. Your viewpoint is the niche minority. 3% rate us very poor in honesty and professionalism and 7% rate us poor. I can live with that. we rank WAY above lawyers, journalists, etc. etc. We, and military officers are the only govt. employees that rank high in the list iirc. teachers and nurses also rank higher than us. I can live with that, too.

Just recognize that your viewpoint is NOT the viewpoint of the 'average' american when it comes to cops. It's part of what makes this job so rewarding, is the public support I get in my community. We work closely with them, through neighborhood watches, citizen academies, etc.

His age is entirely irrelevant to the question you think you have answered.
    Last edited by PALO; 09-08-2013 at 07:36 PM.

And what question is that?

Incidentally, Gallup returning such a facially ridiculous result only further undermines their credibility, already reduced to basically nothing in the last couple years. And even if that weren't true, I'd reject their methodology as statistically (and sociologically) invalid.
    Last edited by marshaul; 09-08-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Only a cop could say such a thing. I had to do a portion of residency in a nursing home/assisted living, it is true that not all 90 year olds are equal. 95, wow, usually not a lot of difference, but still sometimes you get one that can do everything themselves. Over 100? Forget about it. I actually was on the floor when a 97 year old man pulled a gun on a nurse because they wouldn't let him leave (he was very confused and a danger to himself), the situation was diffused and the police were never even called.

Banned
    I'm only surprised that the cops did not burn the guy's house down and lock the neighborhood down and search every house....then send in the drones and bombed his house for good measure.

A 107 year old guy is not much of any threat, with a handgun or not. Why even storm the house?

PALO is telling us that cops deemed the activities as being acceptable. Good to know.

nsa spying
    https://www.google.com/search?q=nsa+...ficial&tbm=nws

Updated story now claims the 107 yr old was blind and deaf.
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 09-09-2013 at 12:50 AM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Unfortunately, he's reported as pointing the gun at 2 people, then shooting at police at least 3 different times.
    With a gun, even a 5yo is a threat.

And have you considered that maybe this extremely elderly man was not in his right mind, so was not thinking clearly or responding 'normally', so was more of a threat?

It's sad this happened, and I think there could have been a better way out, other than killing him, but from what is presented (yes, I know all about how the media mess things up) it sounds like he was actually a threat.

As for Gallup polls about police, all it takes is a Google...
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/1654/hone...ofessions.aspx
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/1597/conf...titutions.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Unfortunately....
    The only thing we know is a 107 yr old man is dead. Killed by a SWAT team. That's it. And most likely all we will ever know.
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 09-09-2013 at 01:28 AM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    The only thing we know is a 107 yr old man is dead. Killed by a SWAT team. That's it. And most likely all we will ever know.
    You're asking too many questions ... we'll need you to come down to the station with us ....

Agent 107 is a hero for showing US the real size of our world. I hope that I can go as easily and give such value to the world. The ethical cloud is unfortunate.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Don't shoot at cops, they really really don't like that. Bad things happen when you shoot at cops. Heck, just being armed is hazardous when cops are around.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Heck, just being armed is hazardous when cops are around.
    Hence the need to disseminate stories like this. It shouldn't be hazardous at all unless you're at the scene of a shooting. Many, many people feel safe in front of armed strangers as long as they're wearing a uniform. This is crazy. We shouldn't feel any more or less comfortable because someone is wearing a uniform. The police in this country have established a species of priesthood. This is very dangerous and I'm not sure if Grapeshot understands.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast