• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RTD article on women and guns

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While this is mostly quite positive and well done, there are some areas worth looking at in more depth.

1) "In reality, few crimes are thwarted by gun-wielding victims." This ignores the power of prevention inherent in OC = visual deterent. Also John Lott's studies indicate a very diffent result.

2) "“I don’t recommend anyone to have a gun loaded in their home without being properly trained.” Safety training is good, but I will never go so far as to require such training to legally defend oneself. Please get as much training as you can afford and say that it was "recommended", not required.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/l...cle_321de0f5-4f28-5b05-b3b8-d807e4ddc985.html

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I also recommend that no one boil water or reset an electrical circuit breaker in their home without proper training.

And I also advocate that such training, along with safe use of firearms, be part of public school curriculum.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I also recommend that no one boil water or reset an electrical circuit breaker in their home without proper training.

And I also advocate that such training, along with safe use of firearms, be part of public school curriculum.
It is good to be well grounded, but not so much around electrical circuits :p

At the minimum, would like to see "safe use of firearms" as an elective in all schools.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
If driver's ed is mandatory (it is), then so too should be "shooter's ed", as the ownership of firearms is every bit as integral to being a self-reliant adult as is the skill of driving. Moreover, its an integral part of citizenship in any free society.

At a bare minimum, "Eddie Eagle"-style gun safety lessons needed to be provided at a young age, for safety and 'teh chillun', regardless of one's stance on the RKBA itself.

Last edited:

POPS VA

It is good to be well grounded, but not so much around electrical circuits :p

At the minimum, would like to see "safe use of firearms" as an elective in all schools.

+1 When I was a young'un, Prince William Co. was very rural and most of us boys hunted. My school offered and sponsered an NRA hunter safety course in lieu of study hall. It was a great way to publicly educate proper firearm handling in a venue we could all participate in.
This was before the invasion of "intelectuals" from the north. That was almost 50 years ago, and I wouldn't hunt with anyone in my school that had not taken the course. Now we have the novites who scorn firearms of all kinds, as well as our hunting heritage. My grandkids grew up in rural Caroline Co. and the two oldest love hunting and shooting. Unfortunatly no such NRA course will be sponsered again in Virginia public schools, because school systems fear the loss of federal funds if they were to provide that kind of training, but they'll teach them "guns are evil". Peter Nap is correct when he says "don't go north of the Ni".

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If driver's ed is mandatory (it is), then so too should be "shooter's ed", as the ownership of firearms is every bit as integral to being a self-reliant adult as is the skill of driving. Moreover, its an integral part of citizenship in any free society....

Driver's ed is an elective here, but I still agree with your latter part. The public at large has a vested interest in every child's reading, writing, arithmetic, and firearms safety.