Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54

Thread: New Resident of Henderson [confused]

  1. #1
    Regular Member Turbod'1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Henderson, NV now Texas. I move a lot.
    Posts
    184

    New Resident of Henderson [confused]

    Hello all, first time posting here and I'm hoping I could get a little insight that might relive my confusion over the firearm laws in Nevada, esp. Henderson.

    Now, I have done due diligence, in that I've spent HOURS reading from various forums and the laws themselves, and yet... I'm still unsure on how to proceed.

    Facts:

    * Recently got out of the Army after a 7 year stint (Honorably, and deployed twice, if that matters to you.)
    * Bought a Glock in Alaska a few days later (And it was nice reclaiming my rights I might add; if you've been in the military, you'll probably know that you lose many of the rights you swore to defend.)
    * Moved to Henderson, NV
    * I really like commas and ellipses.

    So, the question is... now what?

    With particular regard to "The Big Guy"'s efforts in untangling the current laws that Henderson has, I'm left on the fence as;

    * Personally, and for tactical reasons, I'm not fond of OC, but will if it's --in fact-- legal and necessary given that...
    * I don't believe I should have to "Register" my firearm, constitutionally speaking.
    * I just got an NV DL and vehicle registration 3 days ago, so I guess I'm now a 'resident' and the clock is ticking on whether to register?

    Do I [CAN I] carry open until I decide (and I might add that I've seen no one do it since I've been here)?
    Do I HAVE to register as it stands now or risk arrest after 57 days?
    Has there been a break inasmuch as a future redaction of Henderson's registration 'laws'?

    As an aside, before the Army I was a PA state certified 'Rent-a-cop'. Despite the 24/7 carrying and ****** details in ****** neighborhoods, I received a tremendous amount of training as one of the places I worked was guarding the Pittsburgh Police Academy. During my time there, I got taken under-wing and was often allowed to sit in on many of the classes -- even got OC sprayed and 'Tazed' three times [yes, I'm quite dim] and, yet, made several friends in blue. I have no desire to antagonize the Police, it's just that I can't carry one around with me.

    Any advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks

    PS:

    I'm tired and that makes me ramble a bit; I'll be more succinct in the future.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Open carry is perfectly legal and almost completely uneventful here, especially in Henderson where the city and its police actually respect it. There are several of us who do on a daily basis, even though it is not exactly common to run into each other on a regular unplanned basis.

    I would not be surprised if there were not several of us who own unregistered handguns, however I do not advocate breaking any legitimate laws, of course. It may be a good idea to at least register one that you carry regularly as the police do have the authority to disarm you during a legitimate stop, and they will always illegally ask about the registration. You are welcome to exercise your right to remain silent, of course, but everyone has to decide for themselves at each instance how far they wish to be free versus detained further.

    I am one of the very few licensed CCW instructors in the state who advocates open carry and teaching the truth about it. There are plenty of reasons for both modes of carry, and I hope you stick around and enjoy our forum even if you decide that OC will not be your usual method. We are proud Nevadans with a more active than usual participation in our civics.

    That said, I don't like you. Army. Glocks. I mean, you're just TRYING to not get along with me, aren't you?
    Last edited by MAC702; 09-08-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  3. #3
    Regular Member Turbod'1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Henderson, NV now Texas. I move a lot.
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Open carry is perfectly legal and almost completely uneventful here, especially in Henderson where the city and its police actually respect it. There are several of us who do on a daily basis, even though it is not exactly common to run into each other on a regular unplanned basis.

    I would not be surprised if there were not several of us who own unregistered handguns, however I do not advocate breaking any legitimate laws, of course. It may be a good idea to at least register one that you carry regularly as the police do have the authority to disarm you during a legitimate stop, and they will always illegally ask about the registration. You are welcome to exercise your right to remain silent, of course, but everyone has to decide for themselves at each instance how far they wish to be free versus detained further.

    I am one of the very few licensed CCW instructors in the state who advocates open carry and teaching the truth about it. There are plenty of reasons for both modes of carry, and I hope you stick around and enjoy our forum even if you decide that OC will not be your usual method. We are proud Nevadans with a more active than usual participation in our civics.

    That said, I don't like you. Army. Glocks. I mean, you're just TRYING to not get along with me, aren't you?
    Frankly, sir, I don't appreciate you busting me out for the obvious fact that I was seeking to offend you for both your lack of love of the Army nor Glocks.

    I don't care for you as well!




    Thanks for the info. And yes, I read between the lines of what you said and know what you're getting at. MMMV?

  4. #4
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297

    Post

    I have to say, I like that you were Army, and I could care less that you preffer Glocks. I own a Glock and a 1911, but I have to admit, I really hate you because you like commas and elipses. I mean, anyone who doesn't advocate for the superiority of the semicolon and the trapizoid just rubs me the wrong way.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    67
    Uh, oh... another Army and glock man here...

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    united states
    Posts
    627

    Re: New Resident of Henderson [confused]

    I don't like you because you like firearms.and because you made me google elipses.

    That being said, welcome to one of the more free states in the union, and welcome to your newfound freedom from the military. At first glance Nevada might not look as pretty as a place like Alaska, but it's beauty lies at such a depth that only a few people are willing to see it. You just have to look a little harder (differently) and you will see scenery here that rivals any woodland.

    As for your problems with open carry I leave you with an appropriate quote from Catch Me If You Can "...people only know what you tell them..."

    (Like my usage of elipses?)
    Last edited by vegaspassat; 09-13-2013 at 10:40 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Turbod'1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Henderson, NV now Texas. I move a lot.
    Posts
    184
    Been out of the loop seeing as how nobody likes me (for their various reasons).

    Anyway, I have yet to open carry nor have I registered with Henderson at this point.

    On the downside, I asked the lady at the smoke shop next to Smiths whether anyone every open carried in the store and she said yes BUT that she knew he was a cop. She did point out that her boss saw him one day, and not knowing him, she was headed towards the phone to --presumably-- call the police.

    Another lady at Smith's said that she didn't really know and I should ask a manager which I took as her never seeing anyone actually DO IT. The manager was pretty busy so I passed.

    So... that's not exactly a good start.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    united states
    Posts
    627
    Honestly man most people don't notice. And as long as you are polite if they do notice then they think that you are "supposed" to be carrying it. I'll tell you what - make a little road trip tonight up to Lucky's tonight at 6 with me and a few other guys. you can open carry if you like but we won't hold it against you if you don't. There is a sticky thread for details.

  9. #9
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbod'1 View Post
    Been out of the loop seeing as how nobody likes me (for their various reasons).

    Anyway, I have yet to open carry nor have I registered with Henderson at this point.

    On the downside, I asked the lady at the smoke shop next to Smiths whether anyone every open carried in the store and she said yes BUT that she knew he was a cop. She did point out that her boss saw him one day, and not knowing him, she was headed towards the phone to --presumably-- call the police.

    Another lady at Smith's said that she didn't really know and I should ask a manager which I took as her never seeing anyone actually DO IT. The manager was pretty busy so I passed.

    So... that's not exactly a good start.
    I and several others that I know of open carry always, no matter where we go in Henderson and this includes City Hall and the parks. Also the last thing you want to do is ask in advance. Just do it as if it the most normal thing you can do. Almost no one will even pay attention. If they do, and they don't want you there, they can ask you to leave. It can't just be some box boy or checkout girl however. It must be someone in authority.

    I OC in all my local grocery stores and have been for years. This includes Smiths, Food For Less, Von's, Albertsons and others.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Turbod'1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Henderson, NV now Texas. I move a lot.
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    I and several others that I know of open carry always, no matter where we go in Henderson and this includes City Hall and the parks. Also the last thing you want to do is ask in advance. Just do it as if it the most normal thing you can do. Almost no one will even pay attention. If they do, and they don't want you there, they can ask you to leave. It can't just be some box boy or checkout girl however. It must be someone in authority.

    I OC in all my local grocery stores and have been for years. This includes Smiths, Food For Less, Von's, Albertsons and others.

    TBG
    As I told the guys at Lucky's tonight, I did actually register with Henderson. I want to at least keep legit until this is all sorted out.

    In the mean time, until having a CCW, and the inevitable OC between, good advice!

  11. #11
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbod'1 View Post
    As I told the guys at Lucky's tonight, I did actually register with Henderson. I want to at least keep legit until this is all sorted out.

    In the mean time, until having a CCW, and the inevitable OC between, good advice!
    Just to set the record straight, if you registered at the Henderson PD you did not register with Henderson but with Clark County. Henderson has a code but they have illegally substituted the Clark County registration for the Henderson Registration.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Turbod'1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Henderson, NV now Texas. I move a lot.
    Posts
    184
    So, what would you advise I do?

    I'm just trying to stay legit in the event that I'm stopped in Henderson... thought the blue card would be enough while OC'ing.

  13. #13
    Regular Member DooFster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nellis AFB, Nevada
    Posts
    445

    New Resident of Henderson [confused]

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbod'1 View Post
    So, what would you advise I do?

    I'm just trying to stay legit in the event that I'm stopped in Henderson... thought the blue card would be enough while OC'ing.
    You don't have to have the blue card with you.
    IT is better to have a gun on you and NOT need it, than to need a gun and NOT have it on you...

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbod'1 View Post
    So, what would you advise I do?

    I'm just trying to stay legit in the event that I'm stopped in Henderson... thought the blue card would be enough while OC'ing.
    You did fine. TBG is very instrumental in our efforts to show the City (especially) how wrong and unlawful the process is. But in the meantime, the boys in blue will expect the firearm registered in the way you did it.

    And DooFster is correct. You do not need to carry the blue card. You don't even need to keep it. I only save mine for ceremonial burnings every once in a while. Yes, the cops have been trained (finally) so that even if they ask you for the blue card, they will agree that you don't have to have it when you tell them you don't. And they are going to do their illegal search on your firearm's serial number whether you have the blue card or not.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  15. #15
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Just keep in mind that they can't just stop you and check your firearm because of OC. They have to have cause to believe a crime has been committed, is being committed, or is about to be committed. Even if they stop you for speeding they have no right to run your firearm. The only time I had an encounter with the PD they asked me if I had a blue card and I told them I wasn’t required to have it. They agreed. They asked if they could take possession of my firearm for officer safety and I again told them no. I told them I was going to place it in my car. I put it on the front seat and locked the door. End of story.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  16. #16

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    16
    I am glad to be living in Hendersonlandtucky now. OC is even that much easier here than it was in Summerlin (where it was frankly very easy). I CC most of the time, but when it is hot outside, I OC. Why? Cause I can.

    Thoughts: OC is easy. If you have your wits about you, I don't worry too much about the tactical disadvantage it might place you in. No one every really notices my firearm anyways. When they do, they usually don't think much of it. I have found this even more true in Henderson.

    My Jeep was stolen right in front of me one night at 3 am. I pursued them on foot (feeble attempt, doesn't matter how fast I can run (decent) when they're in a car, but armed and OCing...) They ditched the jeep around the block. I am convinced it was because they saw an armed man chasing them that they aborted. Police arrived within 15 minutes. I was not disarmed, but rather asked to "put the gun away". I just went inside and "put the gun away", in my IWB holster...On a side note, they found a loaded beretta px4 on the floor of my jeep. Stolen of course. Glad I was armed, and glad they chose not to engage me.

    I also OCd while camping at Valley of Fire and Mt Charleston recently. Park rangers didn't have anything to say.
    Last edited by CE310QT; 09-17-2013 at 03:20 PM.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by CE310QT View Post
    ...the tactical disadvantage it might place you in...
    And it's a pretty fuzzy "might" at that. After all, there is a bigger tactical advantage in being left alone, than in having the surprise of being armed when you are not left alone.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    And it's a pretty fuzzy "might" at that. After all, there is a bigger tactical advantage in being left alone, than in having the surprise of being armed when you are not left alone.
    Agreed! The "tactical disadvantage" theory ranks up there with unicorn sightings. I'm not saying they don't exist, but...
    Hoka hey

  20. #20
    Regular Member Turbod'1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Henderson, NV now Texas. I move a lot.
    Posts
    184
    Thanks to all that have responded and I take it in stride as a 'nOOb" here in Vegas --let alone Henderson.

    Again, I feel the need to reiterate that, from what I have read regarding these laws, there are SO many loopholes to snag people like me who don't register AND don't wish to antagonize police via OC'ing.

    Everyones argument would make FAR more sense had I seen ANYONE in Henderson OC'ing; at least 1/2 months here and... not once.

    I find it hard to believe [after what I've (not seen)] that Henderson is that "liberal" with guns... like I told those a Lucky's, he said "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

    ...and I told him: until I get a CCW, can I carry YOU around?


  21. #21
    Regular Member Turbod'1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Henderson, NV now Texas. I move a lot.
    Posts
    184
    *1 1/2 months.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    united states
    Posts
    627

    Re: New Resident of Henderson [confused]

    I'd like to know who exactly gets antagonized by police for simply ocing. I've had MANY encounters (more like run ins) with cops and most of those encounters involved me waking past them. A few times it was at the bar, and others at gas stations or on the street. I'm still here today with a clean criminal record and just as many bullet holes as when I was born.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Turbod'1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Henderson, NV now Texas. I move a lot.
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    Agreed! The "tactical disadvantage" theory ranks up there with unicorn sightings. I'm not saying they don't exist, but...
    And my problem with the 'deterrent' of OC - I've KNOWN very bad people that WILL target you -under the premise of getting a free gun.

    When you carry open, you leave yourself open; unless you're so vigilant protecting the firearm on your side, and all the attention that will attract, which would be bad-- don't ever believe that bad guys won't target YOU, with the drop on you.

    All in the game of getting a free gun.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Turbod'1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Henderson, NV now Texas. I move a lot.
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspassat View Post
    I'd like to know who exactly gets antagonized by police for simply ocing. I've had MANY encounters (more like run ins) with cops and most of those encounters involved me waking past them. A few times it was at the bar, and others at gas stations or on the street. I'm still here today with a clean criminal record and just as many bullet holes as when I was born.
    'Cause, like I said, when I asked (I shouldn't have), the Smoke store lady told me how they REALLY react [Call the cops!!].

    I don't wish to be harassed at any nor every situation where I OC.


    See what I mean?

    *edit*

    You also don't live in Henderson. :P
    Last edited by Turbod'1; 09-17-2013 at 07:56 PM.

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbod'1 View Post
    And my problem with the 'deterrent' of OC - I've KNOWN very bad people that WILL target you -under the premise of getting a free gun...
    Then why have they never done so to anyone? In fact, not only did they not, but there is only one case in the entire country where someone has, a statistical zero. You've known guys who talk big or just don't get out much, me thinks...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •