• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just Moved to TN

Natalie White

Hi guys! I just moved here Sept 2 from MD. I currently have one of those UT CC Permits and I was reading on the TN.gov website that I have to apply for a TN Carry permit within 60 days of moving here. It also stated that I have to go through a firearms safety training class AND pay the $115 fee x 2 (BOO!! as my husband carries too) so, I was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap handgun safety classes near Clinton, TN? We literally came out without jobs and need to get one but, we also need to get a TN DL and TN CC/OC permits asap. (just shoot me now.. :banghead:)

THANKS!

Natalie

Ken56

Welcome to Tennessee. You have 6 months to get your TN permit, not 60 days. Check with your local PD and see if they offer a class. Wife and I moved to Dandridge this past june and went thru the whole process. Dandridge PD offered a class for $60.00. The wife is still carrying on her Mich. CPL. She has till December to get hers. The training certificate is good for 6 months too so you have a bit of time to deal with it all. Good luck with finding jobs and getting settled.

Silvertongue

Like Ken said, Welcome to Tennessee!

When I went through the course in February, it took three weeks to get my permit in the mail. Hopefully things have calmed down since then and you get yours quickly; I've heard that they can be back as quickly as a week and a half.

BLKH2O

Welcome to the Forum and welcome to Tennessee. The wife and I moved here ten years ago. Guess we were the lucky ones as seeing we both had carry permits from Florida, we surrendered our permits from Florida and obtained Tn. carry permits without having to take a handgun course. When I received my carry permit from Florida, all I had to do was give the state a copy of my DD214 from the military, my wife on the other hand had to take a course.

Oh Shoot

Welcome to the Forum and welcome to Tennessee. The wife and I moved here ten years ago. Guess we were the lucky ones as seeing we both had carry permits from Florida, we surrendered our permits from Florida and obtained Tn. carry permits without having to take a handgun course. When I received my carry permit from Florida, all I had to do was give the state a copy of my DD214 from the military, my wife on the other hand had to take a course.

That all changed not too long ago. Everybody has to do the full drill and pay full price regardless of existing other state permit.

- OS

docachna

transfer in or take the class ?

That all changed not too long ago. Everybody has to do the full drill and pay full price regardless of existing other state permit.

- OS

Not everybody. DPS now decides whether the licensing requirements in your former state are "substantially similar" to the TN requirements. If they are not, you have to take the class. If they are, the procedure has not changed - just apply and pay the money.

I got mine in June '12 under the old system. By the time my wife retired from teaching in March '13 and moved to TN, they had changed the procedure, and now she has to take the class.

Call the licensing office in Nashville to find out if your state qualifies.

Fallguy

Not everybody. DPS now decides whether the licensing requirements in your former state are "substantially similar" to the TN requirements. If they are not, you have to take the class. If they are, the procedure has not changed - just apply and pay the money.

I got mine in June '12 under the old system. By the time my wife retired from teaching in March '13 and moved to TN, they had changed the procedure, and now she has to take the class.

Call the licensing office in Nashville to find out if your state qualifies.

Didn't you proved Oh Shoot right in your own post?

I'm not sure when exactly it changed, but the state used to have on it's websites what different requirements persons from different states had to do to get a TN HCP, but now it is the same full application process for all.

docachna

"full drill"

- OS

According to DPS, under the old rule, anyone with a license/permit in another state could get their TN permit without taking a class. Under the new rule, it is on a state-by-state basis.

If your out-of-state license had requirements that TN considers "substantially similar" to TN's, you don't have to take the class. If the requirements are not "substantially similar" to TN's, you do have to take the class. It's up to DPS as to whether the licensure requirements in your former state are "substantially similar".

Example - if the state issuing your former license would license people moving into that state who had undergone online training in THEIR former state (i.e., VA licensee moving to OH, then moving to TN and wanting a TN license), TN will not honor your OH license, and will make you take the class, since TN doesn't accept onlne training.

Unless it's changed AGAIN since DPS explained it to me, this is the current policy.

Oh Shoot

According to DPS, under the old rule, anyone with a license/permit in another state could get their TN permit without taking a class. Under the new rule, it is on a state-by-state basis.

If your out-of-state license had requirements that TN considers "substantially similar" to TN's, you don't have to take the class. If the requirements are not "substantially similar" to TN's, you do have to take the class. It's up to DPS as to whether the licensure requirements in your former state are "substantially similar".

Example - if the state issuing your former license would license people moving into that state who had undergone online training in THEIR former state (i.e., VA licensee moving to OH, then moving to TN and wanting a TN license), TN will not honor your OH license, and will make you take the class, since TN doesn't accept onlne training.

Unless it's changed AGAIN since DPS explained it to me, this is the current policy.

Current from TNDOS site:

"If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee.

All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21), take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted."

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.shtml

- OS

Last edited:

docachna

but....

...there's also this:

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee.

All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21), complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted. All applicants, except those with valid permits from New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas must take a DOS approved handgun safety course. Licensing requirements are not included in the reciprocity agreements between states. The mutual recognition of handgun possession privileges between states has not changed and is listed on this website.

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/apprequirements.shtml

Fallguy

Good catch.

Well, then obviously one of those two statements must be wrong. Wonder which one it is?

I sent email to email.safety@tn.gov asking about the dichotomy. Have Lisa Knight's addy somewhere, but this should get forwarded I think, will report back.

- OS

They are not necessarily contradictory.

I take it to mean whatever safety course you have to take in those states is recognized by TN, but you application will still be processed as original application. The law does not say the class has to be taught in TN

39-17-1351(e) The department shall also require an applicant to submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course. Any form created by the department to show proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course shall not require the applicant to provide the applicant's social security number. Any instructor of a department approved handgun safety course shall not withhold proof of the successful completion of the course solely on the fact the applicant did not disclose the applicant's social security number. The course shall include both classroom hours and firing range hours. Beginning September 1, 2010, and thereafter, a component of the classroom portion of all department-approved handgun safety courses shall be instruction on alcohol and drugs, the effects of those substances on a person's reflexes, judgment and ability to safely handle a firearm, and the provisions of § 39-17-1321.

However I would wager most other states courses don't include the part added a few years ago about instruction on 39-17-1321. So who knows.

docachna

change

Good catch.

Well, then obviously one of those two statements must be wrong. Wonder which one it is?

I sent email to email.safety@tn.gov asking about the dichotomy. Have Lisa Knight's addy somewhere, but this should get forwarded I think, will report back.

- OS

I still haven't figured out if this change was due to a change in the statute, or if DPS just "decided".....haven't had time to research any statutory changes. If the statute did NOT change, I question whether DPS can change this, as the old statute clearly made provisions for waiving the class if your old permit's state's requirements were "substantially similar" to TN's requirements.

Oh Shoot

They are not necessarily contradictory.

I take it to mean whatever safety course you have to take in those states is recognized by TN, but you application will still be processed as original application. The law does not say the class has to be taught in TN...

You know, you're right, and you most often are FG. I wasn't thinking clearly. The two statements are indeed not contradictory, mea culpa.

I still haven't figured out if this change was due to a change in the statute, or if DPS just "decided"........

TCA 39-17-1351 has not changed, but it clearly says "successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course."

Hence, TNDOS may change it's mind at any time as to which ones it approves.

Contrast that with fact that TN recognizes all other states' HCP, because that is mandated in the same statute and is not a matter of TNDOS approval.

- OS

Last edited:

Fallguy

IMO nothing in the law allowed them to have different application procedures for those from different states in the first place.

Wonder if it was something they did till someone caught that.

That being said, the old way wasn't bad.....just not allowed by law in my opinion.