• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Verify that I have understood AZ OC laws correctly?

BubbaFromAZ

First off, as my first post here I'd like to say hello to you all. I'm Bubba (not my real name but what I'm known as for many people :p)

I'd also like to address something that I've seen elsewhere on the internet while looking for info on OC, I am 17 of current for about another week, so yes I am just coming of age, however I have been raised around guns and do respect them, I am looking into OC'ing once I am of age, but I want to go about it the right way such as taking classes on safety and carrying of a handgun and so on. I am young, however I am not wanting to OC to 'simply be carrying a gun'. I would really appreciate it if you all gave me a fair shake and did not dismiss me as 'some kid who wants to try and look tough.' like others on the internet have thus far.

That being said I have been looking into the AZ Laws on guns and OC specifically and I was just wondering if any of you fellow Arizonans could see if I have it understood about right?

as of age 18, you can purchase (private sale) a handgun and OC in the state of AZ,with exceptions of
Any property with a gun buster sign OR after being asked to leave by people of an establishment.
Cannot OC in any place that serves alcohol. (requires age of 21 and a CWP and weapon being concealed)
cannot OC on school grounds, *gun may be left in locked vehicle, in parking lot, unloaded and out of sight (many conflicting things online, not sure)

That's about all I have gathered so far, and of course I will continue researching to verify the laws myself.

Again, I'd just like to thank you guys for any help you can offer up, I really appreciate it and I know it will help me to eventually becoming a safe and responsible AZ gun owner and carrier! :D

Rusty Young Man

First off, as my first post here I'd like to say hello to you all. I'm Bubba (not my real name but what I'm known as for many people :p)

I'd also like to address something that I've seen elsewhere on the internet while looking for info on OC, I am 17 of current for about another week, so yes I am just coming of age, however I have been raised around guns and do respect them, I am looking into OC'ing once I am of age, but I want to go about it the right way such as taking classes on safety and carrying of a handgun and so on. I am young, however I am not wanting to OC to 'simply be carrying a gun'. I would really appreciate it if you all gave me a fair shake and did not dismiss me as 'some kid who wants to try and look tough.' like others on the internet have thus far.

That being said I have been looking into the AZ Laws on guns and OC specifically and I was just wondering if any of you fellow Arizonans could see if I have it understood about right?

as of age 18, you can purchase (private sale) a handgun and OC in the state of AZ,with exceptions of
Any property with a gun buster sign OR after being asked to leave by people of an establishment.
Cannot OC in any place that serves alcohol. (requires age of 21 and a CWP and weapon being concealed)
cannot OC on school grounds, *gun may be left in locked vehicle, in parking lot, unloaded and out of sight (many conflicting things online, not sure)

That's about all I have gathered so far, and of course I will continue researching to verify the laws myself.

Again, I'd just like to thank you guys for any help you can offer up, I really appreciate it and I know it will help me to eventually becoming a safe and responsible AZ gun owner and carrier! :D

Hello Bubba, welcome to OCDO. Applicable law can be found in ARS Title 13 Chapter 31. I can sympathize with being 18 and not knowing about firearms purchases. You seem to be correct on all accounts so far, except that the signs need not really be official gunbuster signs; if I understand correctly from the conversations here, even a homemade sign written on a pair of whitey tighties carries the force of law, but you could probably avoid litigation if it is not clearly visible and apparent. YMMV.

Because you probably look young, I would recommend reading some threads on OCDO regarding the carrying of a small video recorder to record any and all interactions (gun-grabbers have been known to make the Devil look honest). FreeInAZ should know what the best recorder is if you have funds; as a university student, I can really only afford recorders like the Veho Muvi Pro. AT THE VERY LEAST, carry a voice recorder. Applicable law can be found in ARS Title 13 Chapter 30 (Eavesdropping and Communications).

Other than a good holster and tucking in your shirt to avoid accidental concealment, I imagine you would be good to go. Best of luck!

azcdlfred

Bubba - the laws on carrying for those 18-21 are contained in the Weapons Misconduct statutes, ARS 13-3102.B.3. Per the law, you may only open carry and the following must be adhered to:

3. A firearm that is carried in:
(a) A manner where any portion of the firearm or holster in which the firearm is carried is visible.
(b) A holster that is wholly or partially visible.
(c) A scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons that is wholly or partially visible.
(d) Luggage.
(e) A case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.

Bear in mind that because of your age, you are inviting law enforcement scrutiny when you carry. Add tattoos, piercings and all the other "look at me" accouterments and habiliments your peers call fashion and you may be in for creative interpretation of the law by LEO's. In 1994 pre-Constitutional Carry (2010) statutes the courts determined that if a cop can't see a firearm, the person was carrying "concealed." Theoretically those decisions don't apply to the new law, but since the language for under 21 carry is similar, I can envision attempts to apply the old standards.

Fred

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Welcome Bubba.

Rusty & Fred covered the bases for you. You may want to try OCing when you are with family or friends at first. Why? It will help you be relaxed. Carrying a sidearm is as normal as carrying a cell phone in my opinion.
But we all were new at it at some point and it is easy to get jittery the first couple of times out.

I strongly suggest a few things.
1. Join AzCDL and if possible attend the upcoming luncheon in Tucson. This will give you a chance to see how hundreds of others OC. Rare that one gets to see so many types of holsters and styles/methods of carry under one roof.
2. Buy a copy of the Arizona gun owners guide by Alan Korwin - it covers everything you'll need to know (and more) in easy to understand terms, no law degree required.
3. Try to setup a OC lunch /dinner in your area. It is always easier for a new OCer to get started in the company of other OCers in my opinion. I'm in the NE phoenix "valley" foothills; if you ever are in the area send me a PM & I'd be happy to grab a burger or sub etc.. with you.

Last edited: