• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

concealed permit OC?

newell711

Ok I have a question for you Ohio guys. My uncle who is an Ohio resident told me that in Ohio if you have a concealed carry permit, it must be concealed and that once you have the permit you are not permitted to open carry. I just want to know is this is true or bogus? I just want to know. Thanks

Brian D.

Speedy, factual answers from those who arrived here before me.

Newell, that myth has persisted in Ohio since licenses were first issued in 2004. No doubt the same thing pops up in other states as well.

eye95

This was a real problem in Alabama when I lived there. Each county created its own license form, and many sheriffs included words to the extent that the license did not permit OC. The license did not. That right preexisted to issuance of the license, and the right could not be removed by the license. However, many LEOs thought that the submission of a citizen to permission slip to carry concealed meant that he submitted to whatever whims the sheriff deigned to print on the back of the physical license, however unlawful or misleading they were.

We need to fight for unlicensed carry, not just for open carry or for carry and conceal.

newell711

Well you guys are confirming what i thought. I asked a lawyer friend in wv the sane thing and he also confirmed it. Thank you guys. Btw since i have my drivers license i don't walk lol.

FreeInAZ

Ok I have a question for you Ohio guys. My uncle who is an Ohio resident told me that in Ohio if you have a concealed carry permit, it must be concealed and that once you have the permit you are not permitted to open carry. I just want to know is this is true or bogus? I just want to know. Thanks

Not just OH that this myth is rampant. Many CCW instructors help spread it. Why? OC which in many states requires no permit, cost nothing. Hence makes them (CCW instructors) ZERO $$$. It helps their wallets to keep it going. I sat in a CPL class (MI ccw) and had the instructor say this nonsense. I politley pointed out that this was not the case and cited the law. At the break a older guy came up to me and said "dang it- had I known about OC being legal in MI I would have saved myself the $150 for this class!" He just wanted to be able to carry on his private hunting land in the UP without worrying about breaking the "law". When I told him in MI a resident can carry concealed or open on their own property [no permit needed]- his face turned a bright shade of red. Clearly he had been sold a rolex when he only needed a timex. :eek:

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

And then you have the 'you lose your tactical advantage' folks, and the 'you'll be the first one shot' folks.

What's funny is that neither of these issues affect THEM. If a CC'er and an OC'er are in a store when the bad guy starts shooting, the bad guy focusing on me should give the CC'er more time to respond or flee.

I am of the 'they see I am armed and might chose not to attack me' school of thought.

Have you asked your uncle where he got his information?

To all those against OC:

I'm an OC'er. I accept the 'risks' as you may perceive them. Now S T F U.

newell711

And then you have the 'you lose your tactical advantage' folks, and the 'you'll be the first one shot' folks.

What's funny is that neither of these issues affect THEM. If a CC'er and an OC'er are in a store when the bad guy starts shooting, the bad guy focusing on me should give the CC'er more time to respond or flee.

I am of the 'they see I am armed and might chose not to attack me' school of thought.

Have you asked your uncle where he got his information?

All he told me is " Its the law" I tried to explain to him that it is your right to OC but he can be very opioniated. He mustve been fed that by an LEO or his instructor but I dont really know.

MyWifeSaidYes

The polite thing to do is either hand him a copy of the Attorney General's handbook or provide him with the ORC link, http://codes.ohio.gov, or do both, then ask him to point out where that particular law exists.

When someone pays for an instructor to tell them something, they will often treat that information as gospel.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I hear it in Colorado, that's for sure.

I've also heard from a CO permit holder that it is illegal for a CO permit holder to OPEN CARRY but that it was legal for those carrying in CO with a permit from another state that CO recognized to OC. I showed him the law and we searched for this specific info.... Strange thing is that we couldn't find the restrictions on CO residents except for ANYONE in Denver County where OC is illegal per current court rulings for ANYONE!---- makes we wonder how the POLICE in Denver County OC without running foul of this law!

SteveInCO

They do what they want in Cook County, Jr., I mean, Denver County.

Can anybody say "Recall"?

I often refer to it as the City and Cesspit of Denver. (as opposed to "City and County" which is the official but less accurate version.)

Supposedly the Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms (with a "right of no person.... shall be called into question") yet a specious legal argument was used to justify their OC ban (If I recall correctly, it was that no law had been passed preempting Denver on OC even though one had been passed on CC, and like I said it was very tortured logic), and the judge-critters bought it.

I look forward to 2015, hopefully with pro gun majorities in both houses and a pro gun governor, we can finally preempt Denver. About 15 microseconds after we repeal the ******** that passed this year. Actually repeal COULD happen next year if the not-terribly-committed Dems are frightened enough. (And our governor is looking nervous....)