• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The bicycle bandit has been caught....somewhat OT

Bernymac

This leads to an interesting question!

Would you shoot a 12 year old carrying a gun? I have to say I would have a hard time justifying such an act unless I was sure my life was in immediate danger, and even then I may hesitate.

Deploy in a war zone where they use juveniles as soldiers. You will not have a hard time justifying that act as it occurs, very, very tragic. However, the baggage after coming home is unimaginable. Don't ask how I know:(

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I think if I am looking at a muzzle I will not be thinking about age, but caliber. It would suck to shoot a kid, but I would blame the parents. As pointed out some of those child warriors have been taught to be incredibly ruthless. Some gangs even use young kids to do their dirty work, because they know they will just get a slap on the wrist. Right now it takes five or more incidents with a gun before it is treated seriously here in WA. (IIRC)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
William Henry McCarty Jr. (aka Henry Antrim, William H. Bonney, and Billy the Kid) started his life of crime at the age of 15. It is said that he killed 21 men over the course of his infamous career. While that number is disputed, lives could have been saved if he had been stopped earlier.

Freedom1Man

William Henry McCarty Jr. (aka Henry Antrim, William H. Bonney, and Billy the Kid) started his life of crime at the age of 15. It is said that he killed 21 men over the course of his infamous career. While that number is disputed, lives could have been saved if he had been stopped earlier.

How many lives did the Pinkerton Detective agency end?

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Would you shoot a 12 year old carrying a gun? I have to say I would have a hard time justifying such an act unless I was sure my life was in immediate danger, and even then I may hesitate.

If you're old enough to pull a gun to rob someone, you're old enough to get shot.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

sudden valley gunner

Deploy in a war zone where they use juveniles as soldiers. You will not have a hard time justifying that act as it occurs, very, very tragic. However, the baggage after coming home is unimaginable. Don't ask how I know:(

Berny,

I won't ask but but hang in there.

The aftermath and damage I have seen to my family and loved ones has made me a hardened opponent of the empires war machine.

Freedom1Man

So you managed to include Pinkerton in the thread and then attempt to justify it by asking an already answered question. Sleep deprived?

I accepted the age argument and dropped the Pinkerton side and switched to only age and killing. Our own people put youth on the front lines with musket in hand.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I accepted the age argument and dropped the Pinkerton side and switched to only age and killing. Our own people put youth on the front lines with musket in hand.
Guess I need to keep up and read between the lines :)

Understood, it is the youth that we ask to hold the front line..

Blueslant

If I felt that my, my families, or bystanders lives were at risk, age would not be a consideration. A 4 year old playing with a gun can be stopped without the use of force, but a 12 year old who knows that he is holding a weapon, and is doing so with the intent to intimidate or threaten those around him, threatening the use of force.. It would not be a hard decision to make.

In this case, I think that being threatened by an individual with a firearm would meet my requirements for when it is appropriate to use deadly force with the intent to kill. It might not be a popular opinion, and I would feel terrible for the 12 year old's family, but I would feel bad for them after the fact.