Thread: Miller County/Texarkana PD response to Act 746

Miller County/Texarkana PD response to Act 746

Over at Arkansas Carry, we're painting a map county by county, to show where the change in law is recognized and honored, versus where lawful carriers are still subject to arrest.

Reply from Texarkana Arkansas Police Department:

Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:07 AM
    To: TAPD-Harrison, Bob
    Subject: RE: Training or guidance on Act 746

According to the information received from the Attorney General, the only operational change in the statute was that a JOURNEY was defined as a resident leaving the county in which he/she resides.

To my knowledge, there have been no TEST CASES as the result of arrests. Yet.

Absent a concealed carry permit, subjects in Texarkana, Arkansas are still subject to arrest for CPW under Act 746. We've received no change in operational procedures from any COURT ORDER, or recommendation from any PROSECUTOR.

Capt. Mark Lewis
    Patrol Commander
    Texarkana Police Department

And a reply from a friend at Miller County Sheriff's Office:

I will check with the Prosecuting Attorney to see if the interpretation changes anything. Currently if any of the listed weapons are in a personís possession away from their residence it is implied they are for unlawful intentions. I will let you know what they say.

have you inquired with Crittenden county?

Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    have you inquired with Crittenden county?
    No, but if that's where you live, then you should feel free.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Over at Arkansas Carry, we're painting a map county by county, to show where the change in law is recognized and honored, versus where lawful carriers are still subject to arrest.

Reply from Texarkana Arkansas Police Department:

And a reply from a friend at Miller County Sheriff's Office:
    Wow!!

SCOTUS has ruled in numerous cases that LEO is supposed to know the law he/she is upholding. I know they can read plain english. 746 is plain english.

Let me translate those two responses:
    The legislature can pass any law they want, and the governor can sign it into law; however, we won't uphold the law until a prosecuting attorney or a judge orders us to.

Unbelievable!

I have said it before and I will keep saying it, and I will keep getting blue in the face from a lack of O2. Until every cop is sued under 42 USC 1983 and 1989 for violating civil liberties, this type of response will continue. LEO is a huge part of the problem.

markm