• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shocking Video: Ohio trooper's car hits motorcycle

Jordysoso

That's supremely messed up. The cop looked like he floored it before hitting them. Wait til local clubs see this, that trooper will be fired for sure.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Seems to me the trooper MAY have been operating while distracted, drowsy, OR WORSE... seems to drift to the left lane marker a couple times with a correction or too BEFORE the collision. I wonder what the data feed from from his in vehicle data terminal will reveal as to keyboard activity just prior to the impact?

As to the appearance of him speeding up just prior to impact I'll just say without any other vehicles in view going his same direction it is difficult to "see" apparent speed. Now it is obvious, he was going faster that the motorcycle he rear ended!

Reviewing the video again focusing on the speed that the lane marker lines pass it doesn't seem to me that he accelerated just before impact. I guess if someone KNEW the actually length of the lane makers and the space between them the troopers speed could be calculated/approximated. No I've not done any calculations on this situation.

IF someone from that area could gather the data as to paint line length and interval spacing, then the speed could be approximated.

Last edited:

eye95

Some folks mindsets are so locked in that they can only see nefarious intent and will perceive things that did not happen (acceleration) just to fit that mindset.

This is probably pure negligence, possibly criminal, and needs to be dealt with as negligence.

BTW, curiously, the first news story I saw on this (I live in the Dayton area and get the Fox station that initially aired the story) said that the riders were not hurt that badly because they were wearing helmets. This story seems to indicate much more severe injuries (far more believable).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Texting??

That would be my first guess. I can't count the number of cops I've seen drift from their lane, miss the moment the light turned green, etc, their head bent and turned obviously toward the in-car computer. The number of stop signs run, and right-turns on red without stopping--without obvious signs of responding to a call--is another subject.

Of course, those cops are likely included in the group that when they hand you the traffic warning or citation, they say they're doing it for your safety.

I found it encouraging that the first line in the news report is a quote from the prosecutor.

Last edited:

OC for ME

<snip>

Reviewing the video again focusing on the speed that the lane marker lines pass it doesn't seem to me that he accelerated just before impact. I guess if someone KNEW the actually length of the lane makers and the space between them the troopers speed could be calculated/approximated. No I've not done any calculations on this situation.

IF someone from that area could gather the data as to paint line length and interval spacing, then the speed could be approximated.
National federal highway standards dictate 10' stripe, ~30' separation between stripes. review the tape to first determine the approximate speed of the motorcycle by time/number of stripes they pass. then do the same for the cruiser.

Based on a rough analysis the trooper was doing ~80mph and the motorcycle was doing ~55mph.

OC for ME

National federal highway standards dictate 10' stripe, ~30' separation between stripes. review the tape to first determine the approximate speed of the motorcycle by time/number of stripes they pass. then do the same for the cruiser.

Based on a rough analysis the trooper was doing ~80mph and the motorcycle was doing ~55mph.

• Dash lines are 4 in. wide, 10 ft. long; with 30 ft. skip spaces. However, the last skip line of each block will vary in width. If it is shorter than 10 ft. long, then it must be connected to the nest to last skip line. All dash lines shall stop 1 ft. before the back edge line of a crosswalk.

http://dc.gov/DC/DDOT/Publication F...ication_design_and_engineering_ch43__ddot.pdf
From the source.

OC for ME

12/4/2012 12:07:00 PM

Patrol announces the 2012 Xenia Post Trooper of the Year

XENIA — Ohio State Highway Patrol Trooper Jacob Daymon has been selected 2012 Trooper of the Year at the Xenia post.

The selection of Trooper Daymon, is in recognition of outstanding service during 2012 at the Xenia Post. Fellow officers stationed at Xenia, chose Trooper Daymon based on leadership abilities, professional ethics, courteous treatment of others, enthusiastic work attitude, and cooperation with supervisors, peers, and the public.

Trooper Daymon is now in contention for the District and State Trooper of the Year Award to be announced at a later date. Trooper Daymon joined the Highway Patrol in December of 2007 and began his career at the Wilmington Post in Clinton County, Trooper Daymon transferred to the Xenia Post in August of 2011, originally from Stow Ohio and a graduate of Wallsh High School in Cuyahoga Falls Ohio, Trooper Daymon graduated from Kent State University with a bachelor’s degree. Other Highway Patrol awards received in the past include: The Highway Patrol’s Health & Fitness Award in 2009, the Highway Patrol’s Safe Driving Award in 2010, and the Wilmington Post Trooper of the Year in 2010.

http://xeniagazette.com/main.asp?SubSectionID=4&ArticleID=178084&SectionID=2
Double DOH!!!

JoeSparky

Centurion

Assuming the collision occured on a Federal highway or a State highway painted in compliance to the federal standard----
And with an "approximate" speed difference of 25MPH = to just less than 37 fps. What is the officer doing or distracted by in the cruiser to NOT BE ABLE TO RESPOND / AVOID then impending collision as the motorcycle and rider's come into view of his headlights?

Last edited:

justherenow

Trooper is on desk duty pending grand jury, if it were us, tickets issued and court date set

______
Sent from my Motorola X using Tapatalk 4.0

Werz

um...Facing a grand jury and felony charges is a bit more worrisome than just "tickets and a court date."
Even if there's no decent evidence of a felonious mens rea, grand jury is the best way to go. Just from reading the highly imaginative speculation in this thread, it should be clear that, regardless of what is charged, somebody will be screeching bloody murder about it. The smart way to do it is to put all the available evidence in front of nine citizens chosen at random*, provide them with all the charges which might reasonably apply, and let them decide what to charge.

* For those who are likely to speculate how Ohio grand juries are comprised, here's some reality therapy. In my county, they are randomly chosen from the voter list; the first nine who show up and are reasonably available to serve are chosen, and they are struck only for substantial cause. Lawyers, cops, former felons, right-wing facists, left-wing hippies, 18-year-olds, 80-year-olds ... they're all welcome. Well, except for the people who ask lots of questions just to hear themselves talk; they annoy everyone.