• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Makes you go, hmmm!

The Big Guy

Two short sentences ...and our government.

"We are told NOT to judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics."

BUT...

"We are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics."

TBG

mbogo470

Careful there, TBG. Someone will accuse you of being Islamophobic for telling the truth. :lol:

mbogo

TheAlien

Honestly, you really don't want me to get into this one. It would be a serious "hijack" and I really don't wanna do that. With that in mind, where does anyone get the "few lunatics" part when mentioning Muslims? :confused:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Honestly, you really don't want me to get into this one. It would be a serious "hijack" and I really don't wanna do that. With that in mind, where does anyone get the "few lunatics" part when mentioning Muslims? :confused:

The "lunatics" was not indicative of a class.

There are lunatic Muslims.
There are lunatic Christians.
There are lunatic agnostics.

There are lunatic gun owners.
There are lunatic _________.

28kfps

There is one group that is hard to tell if any of them are lunatics and that is rednecks, hard to tell them apart. A rednecks favorite saying “Hey watch this!”

Maverick9

Are there really any members of those groups who are not lunatics in someone's eyes?

Back in early Ireland, the church had homes for abandoned women. They took these women in, providing shelter. But then they realized they could give them work, make a profit off of them and not pay them. Then they realized they could 'create' abandoned women.

Of those groups, the last two probably contain the least percentage of lunatics, if you make 'gun owners', 'legal gun owners' (i.e. not felons, pass a BG check for DUI, DV, felonies, etc.). Agnostics/non-theists have a code of ethics they instill, versus paying lip service to a code of behavior that is thrust upon them.

The religious operate from a position of dogma and greed and the need to proselytize, even if that includes genocide. So that's not a good start.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nope, you really don't want to go there on this forum. There are radical elements in any group, but they don't define the larger, non-involved group.

There are many (majority?) Muslims in our communities that are decent hard working people, educating their kids, looking to provide for and protect their families, and who just follow teachings of a different leader. Not unlike proponents of Christianity or Judaism, they want to live in peace and are encouraged to treat their fellow man well.

Mr Birdman

Muslims

Nope, you really don't want to go there on this forum. There are radical elements in any group, but they don't define the larger, non-involved group.

There are many (majority?) Muslims in our communities that are decent hard working people, educating their kids, looking to provide for and protect their families, and who just follow teachings of a different leader. Not unlike proponents of Christianity or Judaism, they want to live in peace and are encouraged to treat their fellow man well.

Very true most Muslims are very nice people, but the Muslim religion is not very nice. Over 100 times in the Koran it demands death if you do not convert or try to leave Islam.. Not a peaceful religion at all full of death and HATE.

Turbod'1

Beaten into submission means being: tolerant, oblivious or racist.

I object.

There are lunatic Muslims. [Who kill you or aid and abet those that would.]
There are lunatic Christians. [Who annoy you by telling you crazy stories about 'how it is!'; you'll more than likely live.]
There are lunatic agnostics. [Who have no idea what's going on in the greater scheme of things but really want you to know you're wrong. About...something: you'll more than likely live.]

There are lunatic gun owners. [Wanton criminals aside, a minuscule factor and easily dealt with by us armed CITIZENS and if you cause no harm in our presence; you'll more than likely live.]

I see you took the very "PC" route there MAC and I can --sorta-- understand why you might; being nice and all...

There are many (majority?) Muslims in our communities that are decent hard working people, educating their kids, looking to provide for and protect their families, and who just follow teachings of a different leader.

First, it strikes me as odd that, even you seem to question, via the use of "(majority?)" --whilst also missing that all those 'Muslims' educating their kids might be doing it in such a way as to "lay low".

Now to me, that begs the question: where is that "majority" of Muslims who decry the violence that their "Lunatic" 'splinter cell' perpetrates?

Hm?

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/AboutSite.htm

I'm not religious, nor, am I'm I stupid: comparing Islam to the other groups is plain silly when I've seen it and the proof is evident when you toss out BS things like being "PC" and such:

IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

First, it strikes me as odd that, even you seem to question, via the use of "(majority?)" --whilst also missing that all those 'Muslims' educating their kids might be doing it in such a way as to "lay low".

Now to me, that begs the question: where is that "majority" of Muslims who decry the violence that their "Lunatic" 'splinter cell' perpetrates?

Hm?

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/AboutSite.htm

I'm not religious, nor, am I'm I stupid: comparing Islam to the other groups is plain silly when I've seen it and the proof is evident when you toss out BS things like being "PC" and such:

IT IS WHAT IT IS.

First "majority?" was obviously posed as a question and only intended to referred to those in America.

More importantly OCDO is not the place to attack any religious group, excepting any stance against OC - doing so violates the Forum Rules.

I do recognize the conflict between certain practices/beliefs espoused by some of their members and how we wish to live, but outright condemnation of all Muslims is not acceptable - that is the bottom line.

Turbod'1

Nice to see that I wasn't banned for my egregious lack of etiquette. Seriously. :)

First "majority?" was obviously posed as a question and only intended to referred to those in America.

I didn't see that from BG's statement?; I think the parity of what he said and what we can see has NO bearing on/in statistics and whatnot. :confused:

More importantly OCDO is not the place to attack any religious group, excepting any stance against OC - doing so violates the Forum Rules.

I do recognize the conflict between certain practices/beliefs espoused by some of their members and how we wish to live, but outright condemnation of all Muslims is not acceptable - that is the bottom line.

Probably my last post given that I am "breaking the rules" --by means of relaying PERSONAL experience:

1) Have been institutionalized, by way of being "disowned" at 3 and tossed into various orphanages, foster homes, "group homes" and later...homeless

2) ...which gave me the opportunity to OBSERVE people of multiple races, beliefs, circumstances and personal character.

3) Taken in by well meaning people and tired of the lack of control over my life, I joined the Army and all I can say is that:

I've been around the block, many counties, with much pain and sacrifice [that, TBO, wasn't that a big of a deal given all things equal (they never are, yaknow :( ]l] and yet, time and time again "stereotypes" exist for a reason.

Not an upbringing thing nor is it an Army thing... spend enough time observing and rejecting what you see with eyes wide open... You are either sheltered/unworldly or --afraid to be chastised for what you see because it's important that you be "nice".

That said, I OC daily and I'm always nice because, I'm genuinely nice.

Until you aren't.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Banning someone, especially a relatively new user, is not common practice unless the act is so intentional and egregious that it cannot be ignored.

Majority? (with a question mark attached) came from my previous post, not the OP.

Stereotyping is the very thing condemned/restricted in the Forum Rules
History shows us that those of other heritages (i.e. Japanese) have been persecuted as a class w/o valid reason.

I think we are getting off-topic a bit too much here though as the OP was comparing this phenomenon to the persecution of gun owners - the latter being relevant to OCDO. The former is not.