My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

The comments are the best part. From what people are saying it will be a bunch of drunk gun slingers who will no doubt end up shooting at anything that moves or the possible sound of gun fire (like a car backfiring or fireworks).
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Re: Guns encouraged at Riverside Park picnic

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    The comments are the best part. From what people are saying it will be a bunch of drunk gun slingers who will no doubt end up shooting at anything that moves or the possible sound of gun fire (like a car backfiring or fireworks).
    Yeah the typical dribble of the the "dumbed down" members of our society. To them I say this: surely GR is a safer city than Detroit right? Then how can it be that there have been very large OC picnics on Belle Isle, without incident? I would even go as far to say that if Detroit police kept accurate crime statistics (I'm dreaminlg, I know) - they would show a decrease in violent crime on the island the days those events took place. My point? If LAC's can have events in the heart of Detroit, GR should be a walk in the park. Unless people there are overly stupid & lawless....is that what their trying to say?
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 09-12-2013 at 04:59 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Yeah the typical dribble of the the "dumbed down" members of our society. To them I say this: surely GR is a safer city than Detroit right? Then how can it be that there have been very large OC picnics on Belle Isle, without incident? I would even go as far to say that if Detroit police kept accurate crime statistics (I'm dreaminlg, I know) - they would show a decrease in violent crime on the island the days those events took place. My point? If LAC's can have events in the heart of Detroit, GR should be a walk in the park. Unless people there are overly stupid & lawless....is that what their trying to say?
    It's not people who are overly stupid and lawless just gun owners.
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 09-12-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Re: Guns encouraged at Riverside Park picnic

Well I am sure you know this, but gun owners in general are very responible. If you talk about those with permits - that number pans out to more than 8 times less likely to commit a crime than the average citizen. So those who are commenting are ignorant to the facts or just stupid. Sadly, many US citizens cannot tell you what's in the bill of rigjts. So it makes sense they don't care when those rights are being taken away from others. These types only care when they start losing their rights. Until that happens, no hope for them.

Rant off.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

If you live in GR, contact your commissioners and urge them to meet you there. I think it's time they address their prejudice. I know this isn't likely to happen, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Detroit Police hire based on diversity, not merit, unlike most police departments.......no one could expect anything less out of such a fine city.