• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ridgefield, CT

CT Barfly

Ridgefield PD have apparently not been trained on OC...was quite surprised to hear from an officer that if a citizen calls 911 in response to a lawful OC, the OC'er will be arrested and the "courts can sort it out."

Maybe it was just "big talk"...maybe not.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Really? I visited the PD several months ago and found the chief to be decent ... I asked for all their gun records (copied some of them) and they said "sure, come on in" ... generally antis don't do that ...

Sounds like just big talk.

No need to train .. we ALL are expected to know the law.

You gotta train someone that water is wet?

heckle

Here is a snip from an e-mail response from the Chief in Rockville/Vernon when asked about LEO Training/Directives on a person who is openly carrying a handgun.

"There is no clear law as to open carry in the state, in fact the laws are silent on the topic which the supporters of open carry state makes it legal. To me I am indifferent to the subject. My officers have been told that until the matter is decided that a otherwise qualified person, licensed to carry a firearm will not be arrested for simply open carrying the weapon."

CT Barfly

Here is a snip from an e-mail response from the Chief in Rockville/Vernon when asked about LEO Training/Directives on a person who is openly carrying a handgun.

"There is no clear law as to open carry in the state, in fact the laws are silent on the topic which the supporters of open carry state makes it legal. To me I am indifferent to the subject. My officers have been told that until the matter is decided that a otherwise qualified person, licensed to carry a firearm will not be arrested for simply open carrying the weapon."

tell me you mis-cut-and-pasted...the chief isn't illiterate, is he?

heckle

tell me you mis-cut-and-pasted...the chief isn't illiterate, is he?

Nope. That is what he said. There was a little more to the e-mail on different items but that was just what he said about open carry and mainly his officers not arresting for it. Not much more details and did not feel like a drawn out back and forth. He actually suggested that I carry concealed to prevent calls and issues with business owners. :shocker:

Last edited:

Rich B

He actually suggested that I carry concealed to prevent calls and issues with business owners. :shocker:

I don't see how that is shocking. I would recommend the same. Some people are not as concerned about 'issues' like this though, and to them open carry is worthwhile.

I have never been arrested for playing billiards when I wasn't openly carrying. I have never been asked to leave a store when I wasn't carrying unconcealed.

CT Barfly

Well looks like Vernon has a lot of extra cash lying around....

I suppose Ridgefield does, too...but we already knew that. I believe the firearms death toll this year is 1...and it was an officer shooting a Ridgefield resident while responding to the man's home.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I suppose Ridgefield does, too...but we already knew that. I believe the firearms death toll this year is 1...and it was an officer shooting a Ridgefield resident while responding to the man's home.

You can go to the council on POST training (Police Officer Standards and Training Council) website and see a summary of policemen's injury and deaths (in a PDF of a training powerpoint presentation) -- its dated 2011 but it will give the reader a sense of how injuries occur and deaths occurrences. It has language like "make sure you get home" throughout the PP presentation and seems to put policemen's lifes on a level of value higher than others.