• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about long gun transport

stephen92

I know this site is directed more towards handguns and the carry of handguns; however, I have been trying to find a law that prohibits the transport of a loaded long gun (not concealed) in a vehicle. I have searched through the DOJ's material and tried my google skills to find the law, but I have been unable to find it. I was wondering if I am making this up, or is there a law that prohibits the transport of a loaded long gun in NC?

Thanks.

carolina guy

I know this site is directed more towards handguns and the carry of handguns; however, I have been trying to find a law that prohibits the transport of a loaded long gun (not concealed) in a vehicle. I have searched through the DOJ's material and tried my google skills to find the law, but I have been unable to find it. I was wondering if I am making this up, or is there a law that prohibits the transport of a loaded long gun in NC?

Thanks.

While IANAL, I am unaware of any NC law that distinguishes between loaded and unloaded in NC. As long as it is not concealed and you are legally able to own/posses the weapon, you should be good to go!

stephen92

While IANAL, I am unaware of any NC law that distinguishes between loaded and unloaded in NC. As long as it is not concealed and you are legally able to own/posses the weapon, you should be good to go!

Thanks. I knew this applied to hand guns, but I could have sworn there was some law about keeping ammo separated from long guns. I'll keep looking, but it is good to know that I might be wrong.

bc.cruiser

Thanks. I knew this applied to hand guns, but I could have sworn there was some law about keeping ammo separated from long guns. I'll keep looking, but it is good to know that I might be wrong.

You may be thinking of the Firearms Owners Protection Act (1986) which is also known as 18 USC 926A; this pertains to interstate transport of firearms, under which the gun must be unloaded and inaccessible.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You may be thinking of the Firearms Owners Protection Act (1986) which is also known as 18 USC 926A; this pertains to interstate transport of firearms, under which the gun must be unloaded and inaccessible.

To clarify, this is only if you are seeking the protection of that act. Much interstate travel does not require the protection of this act.

stephen92

That's it. Thanks. It's good to know I can have my long guns loaded as long as they aren't concealed. I've been unloading them every time I transport within NC borders.

Thanks again guys.

solus

Thanks.

OP please be aware the NC AGs position paper (covers xportation of firearms in vehicles) normally on the DOJ website and other ancillary sites has been temporarily taken down from the internet (according to DOJ briefing held the 5th) to allow changes to be made for the upcoming statute changes which is why you couldn't find any type of info from DOJ's or NC sheriff's websites.

ipse

carolina guy

This is the best that I can find. According to wikipedia you can oc a handgun but you can not oc a long gun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_North_Carolina
Also you may want to think about this. If an LEO or WRO stops you and sees the loaded long gun they can say that you are useing it for illegal hunting.

Kevin

Do you have a cite for this, other than Wikipedia? Wiki has been updated to remove the incorrect listing of "No" for long gun carry. IFAIK, NC has no restrictions on long gun carry, and the original wiki entry had no references to law or court cites that would restrict long gun OC.

Note: And just to keep it within rules, long gun OC is technically OT for OCDO. ;)

Last edited: