Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me list the Phrases, You and We, Hate!!!

Help me list the Phrases, You and We, Hate!!!

Recently, in this thread Seattle PD, when will you keep your booger hooks off the bang switch?

Some folks voiced their displeasure with some often used phrases.
    I would like to list them, and also list some of the ones I think are dumb and/or dumber...
    Sooo without further ado... Wow that might have been one of them right there!

Without further ado
    Booger hook on the bang switch... actually, I like to say this one!
    Touch base
    It is what it is
    With that being said
    Lets agree to disagree
    Be that as it may... doesnt even sound like a thing.

I had others in mind, until I started to list them, but then I was hit by brain farts.
    Please list all the other stupid things you/I and others write
    because you/I/we are to lazy to think of real things to say/write...
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 09-13-2013 at 04:28 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

At this point in time I have virtually nothing that brings anything meaningful to the table without thinking outside the box.

stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 09-13-2013 at 05:09 AM.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Is that the new concealed carry?!? /points to open sidearm

"moving on"
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Banned
    All the more reason to use it.

Moving on.

At the end of the day, overused phrases remain overused.

I could care less.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

"Common sense" when used by politicians.

Re: Help me list the Phrases, You and We, Hate!!!

"Gun Buy-back".

It can't be a buy-back if they never owned them in the first place!

"It could be worse."

Just because things aren't as bad as they could possibly get means that we shouldn't try to make them better?!?!?!?
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

• long-story-short
    • grammar-nazi
    • spelling-nazi
    • ****-nazi
    • nazi not referring to Nationalsozialist
    • troll the epithet
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-13-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

"...as long as everyone gets to go home tonight."

"It's for the children."

Founder's Club Member
    I'm hoping there is a separate circle in Hell for inventors of government euphemisms. Certainly, their terms deserve their own category here.

Checkpoint. Cop-speak for roadblock. I just use the word roadblock.

Officer safety. Cop-speak to nullify the line in Terry v Ohio about nothing in the initial moments of an encounter serving to dispel the officer's concern for his safety and others nearby. Just invoke the holy words officer safety, and nobody bothers to wonder whether the cop used any judgement as required by Terry.

Resisting arrest. Cop-speak (as proved by a number of videos) for being completely still while being handcuffed and held by several cops. Can include trying to defend yourself from a gratuitous police assault prior to cuffing.

Furtive movement. Cop-speak for reaching for your license in the console, glove box, or visor during a traffic stop, but before the cop arrives at your car door. Excludes a jurisdiction where an appellate court expressly ruled that reaching for your license is not a furtive movement, highlighting that some cops actually have to be told this by an authority figure. The problem with the term is that the word furtive is not a fact; it is an evaluation of a fact. A movement is just a movement. In order to determine whether it was furtive, more facts are needed to know whether the adjective is appropriate. What was it (facts) that made it furtive? When a cop testifies to a furtive movement, he's hoping listeners will not notice the evaluative nature of the word furtive and omit to ask for the rest of the facts that made it furtive.

Dynamic entry. Cop-speak to cover up/gloss over the violence of battering down a door, possibly while tossing flash-bang(s) into the residence.

Pyro-technic device: Cop-speak for an explosive device called a flash-bang. If you've ever seen one detonated, you have no doubt it is an explosive. Pyro-technic device includes tear-gas grenades, so its actually a legitimate term perverted whenever applied to flash-bangs.

C(onductive) E(lectrical) D(evice): Cop-speak for electro-torture pain-compliance devices. Also known as tasers.

Less-lethal: Cop-speak for sometimes lethal. Usually in reference to tasers. The term was converted from the original non-lethal after so many people died from these things as to force the change. There are a few interesting things to note. A taser is regarded as a deadly weapon when seized by a criminal and used against a cop. Also, people are known to suffer brain injuries, and broken bones and teeth, from falling rigidly against sidewalks and curbs. Compare to part of the justification for lethal force in self-defense: threat of grave bodily injury or death. Police training videos are very revealing--when police or cadets receive a demonstration tasering, they are often wearing helmets and fall onto gym mats.

Reasonable articulable suspicion (RAS): Cop-speak/court-speak to cover up temporarily seizing an equal when the cop doesn't even know whether that equal is as little as probably guilty. Government openly acknowledges that numerous innocent equals are seized. The fallacy includes the underlying lie that the equal consented to be governed thus. Also, the term reasonable gives it a nice flavor.

Readers, please chip in.
    Last edited by Citizen; 09-13-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Thomas A. Swift's Electric Rifle euphemised as TASER.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

'back where I come from we did ...<blah blah blah>.......'

Then go the hell back there if it was so flippin' great

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Gun crimes- there are no guns that commit crimes

Constitutional Rights-Constitution grants us no rights- I still use this though out of habit.

The misuse of "Society"-people misconstrue this with government
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Centurion
    "For MY safety" "So, I can go home at the end of my shift" and all the variants that others us as an excuse to VIOLATE MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO PROTECT MYSELF WITH A FIREARM!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

GUN CONTROL , the only thing you control with a gun is hitting what you aim at

it is people control, or gun infringement.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post
    "It could be worse."

Just because things aren't as bad as they could possibly get means that we shouldn't try to make them better?!?!?!?
    [Froederick and Igor are exhuming a dead criminal]
    Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What a filthy job.
    Igor: Could be worse.
    Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: How?
    Igor: Could be raining.
    [it starts to pour]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

The family has "closure".
    Packing Heat
    He has a gat.
    Snap
    My Bad
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b0neZ View Post
    "Gun Buy-back".

It can't be a buy-back if they never owned them in the first place!
    They own it all. Everything you think you own is pledged to the national debt. Even your labor.

And don't you ever forget that, Capiche.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    SNIP Everything you think you own is pledged to the national debt. Even your labor.
    Thanks for reminding me.

National debt. Its not my debt. Its not the nation's debt.

Its the government's debt. They incurred it. They spent it.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Thanks for reminding me.

National debt. Its not my debt. Its not the nation's debt.

Its the government's debt. They incurred it. They spent it.
    Bingo, that's a big one.

Not sure what specific phrases would sum it up, but I hate it when "we" are considered to be "at war" when the reality is that "we" are not. Our government is at war. I'm not. I didn't send anybody to go kill on my behalf.

Basically what both of these boil down to is that the government in fact does not represent the people. If it did, then you could say "national debt", or that "the US" is at war. They are their own entity, and they alone are responsible for the actions they take.

Seems like I remember reading or hear somewhere that this - this disassociation from government - is like, one of a series of steps toward something. I don't remember if it was presented as positive, or negative, though.

Oh, another one I hate... "Uncooperative" - "You're being uncooperative" or later "they were uncooperative". As in, "I couldn't pursue the investigation of the assault against them, because they were uncooperative and seemed to be hiding the full story" It really just means that somebody didn't do or say something that a police officer wanted them to, so the officer excused them self from any feelings of personal responsibility to help.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 09-14-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    SNIP Oh, another one I hate... "Uncooperative" - "You're being uncooperative" or later "they were uncooperative". As in, "I couldn't pursue the investigation of the assault against them, because they were uncooperative and seemed to be hiding the full story" It really just means that somebody didn't do or say something that a police officer wanted them to, so the officer excused them self from any feelings of personal responsibility to help.
    "The suspect is not cooperating with the investigation." Just shows police hostility to freedom. Compare to what a police opinion manipulator spokesperson could say:

"The suspect, as any true American would, is exercising his Fifth Amendment right, forcing us, in the finest tradition of liberty going back to 1649, to find our own evidence against him."

No police spokesperson will ever be heard saying that. No. They'd rather play on the "protect and serve" deception their PR machine perpetuates. We should be happy to cooperate with police because they protect us.
    Last edited by Citizen; 09-14-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast