• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a good source of consolidated info.

Humanshield

So my father and I are looking to travel out west next year for a sort of "Father Son Roadtrip" . We are talking maybe heading up to the Chicago area and going southwest a way on route 66. Ultimately heading into Southern California or New Mexico . Then up north and back east through Wyoming/Minnesota. So with this very rough itinerary and a ton of state to go through. I need to decide weather I want to take a long a firearm. I am a CCW holder in Ohio so finding reciprocity agreements with other states is the easy part. What I was wonder is if there was a good consolidated place to find information on the other states. Like how I can travel with the firearm. Can I open Carry. etc.. I know I can review each states laws individually. It just seems this is the kind of information that could be charted or consolidated easily. And I wonder if anyone or any organization has done so.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
So my father and I are looking to travel out west next year for a sort of "Father Son Roadtrip" . We are talking maybe heading up to the Chicago area and going southwest a way on route 66. Ultimately heading into Southern California or New Mexico . Then up north and back east through Wyoming/Minnesota. So with this very rough itinerary and a ton of state to go through. I need to decide weather I want to take a long a firearm. I am a CCW holder in Ohio so finding reciprocity agreements with other states is the easy part. What I was wonder is if there was a good consolidated place to find information on the other states. Like how I can travel with the firearm. Can I open Carry. etc.. I know I can review each states laws individually. It just seems this is the kind of information that could be charted or consolidated easily. And I wonder if anyone or any organization has done so.

I start with the Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States. The 2013 edition can be found at:

http://www.amazon.com/United-States...guide+to+the+firearm+laws+of+the+fifty+states

or at: http://gunlawguide.com/

Since laws are subject to change in between printings of the above, you should also check the content at http://www.handgunlaw.us/ -- I believe that they keep this site updated.

eye95

If that is the guide found in most gun stores, I recommend against it. It is full of misinformation.

Your best sources? The folks here at OCDO and hangunlaw.us.

Illinois will be a pain, unless you pass through without stopping. Otherwise, make sure you are up to the minute with their gun laws. They are changing daily.

ShootinRugers

I use handgunlaw.us, in the upper right corner are links to different websites focr that state.

Printing presses cannot keep up with the rapidly changing gun laws.