Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC with a FTA traffic warrant

OC with a FTA traffic warrant

Does having a failure to appear warrant on a traffic ticket (seat belt violation) take away a persons right to open carry in Ohio? I am waiting till I get paid so I can take care of this matter, I want to continue to open carry my pistol now though. I'm rather scared, I've never been in trouble before. at the same stop I was issued a citation for a misdemeanor 1st degree for possession of a small amount of marijuana... I screwed up! I've learned my lesson, I wear my seat belt all the time now, and I haven't touched marijuana since then. so can I open carry my pistol still?

Thanks
    John

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Your first time post because you are in trouble.

I suggest you get an attorney.

So, how did you appear for the marijuana charge and not the seat belt charge?

So, what did you get stopped for, the seat belt or marijuana?

Banned
    I disagree completely. He should get an attorney.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it before , but you should speak with your attorney, and or your public defender (if still applicable).

Re: OC with a FTA traffic warrant

I can't believe no-one has mentioned this yet, but you really should get an attorney.

Welcome to OCDO.

Centurion
    In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, GET AN ATTORNEY! OH, yeah, QUITE VIOLATING THE LAW! We have enough problems with our rights being violated by Opinion Enforcement Officers WITH them having a valid legal reason to harass us!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Banned
    I know that no one has mentioned getting an attorney before, but if you do decide to get one, despite no encouragement from us to do so, ask him if that FTA would cause you to be considered a "fugitive from justice."

Re: OC with a FTA traffic warrant

Really, OCDO?

I would have surely thought someone would have advised him by now to get an attorney..

I'm disappointed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Your first time post because you are in trouble.

So, how did you appear for the marijuana charge and not the seat belt charge?

So, what did you get stopped for, the seat belt or marijuana?

__________________________________________________ _____________________
    so you think I should get an attorney right? lmao
    I got the seat belt violation long before the pot charge... the seat belt violation hadn't gone to warrant when I got the pot charge. I got stopped for a whole other charge and caught the pot charge.
    I'm not a dumb ass and don't appreciate being treated like one. I get the point I should get a lawyer.
    I took care of the pot charge, forgot about the seat belt ticket.. I screwed up. since I've been replied to like I'm just a dumb ass, I'd like you to know that I have not touched pot since.
    all the replies and not a true answer to my question other than get an attorney.
    Thanks.

Banned

Nobody was replying to you like a dumbass. One guy advised you to talk to a lawyer. It was good advice. The rest of us were just having some fun with each other.

There are certain questions most of us won't answer. We will leave it to a lawyer.

Anyway, in case no one else tells you. Let me advise you to get a lawyer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
    I got the seat belt violation long before the pot charge... the seat belt violation hadn't gone to warrant when I got the pot charge. I got stopped for a whole other charge and caught the pot charge.
    I'm not a dumb ass and don't appreciate being treated like one. I get the point I should get a lawyer.
    I took care of the pot charge, forgot about the seat belt ticket.. I screwed up. since I've been replied to like I'm just a dumb ass, I'd like you to know that I have not touched pot since.
    all the replies and not a true answer to my question other than get an attorney.
    Thanks.
    What state is the warrant in? which state do you reside in? which state do you intend to open carry in?

does your state remove gun rights from people who fail to appear? there's not enough information here to tell you. others on the this thread have said to get an attorney, me personally... I'd consult an attorney.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Nobody was replying to you like a dumbass. One guy advised you to talk to a lawyer. It was good advice. The rest of us were just having some fun with each other.

There are certain questions most of us won't answer. We will leave it to a lawyer.

Anyway, in case no one else tells you. Let me advise you to get a lawyer.
    As usual, you are WAAAY off base.

Help the guy - you know, the one who can't be bothered to properly capitalize, tell the whole story in his plea for information, or show any appreciation - you know, that guy.

Be a pal and at least tell him to SPEAK WITH A LAWYER!

Banned

You're right. I dropped the ball. I shoulda told him to talk to a member of the bar!

<o>

CoL, Eye, you two need to set aside your differences and give the OP some really good advice, not just a short one liner!

The advice I would give would be "Get a person who not only has their Juris Doctorate, but one who is also admitted before the par to act as solicitor and counselor in your state of residence."

(I know there's some mighty big words there... and what it is that I'm actually trying to get CoL and Eye to agree on saying is: "Get an Attorney!")

Moving on...
    Last edited by BriKuz; 09-13-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Banned

CoL told him to get an attorney. I disagree emphatically. Instead he should get an attorney.

<o>

If you two ever agreed on something, we'd already be in brotherly-love, Oberlin paradise, and wouldn't ever need a firearm again, as even the raging wild animals would stop at the love being produced by the attackee... but since one of you wants him to get an attorney, and the other wants him to RETAIN an attorney, all is still right with the world!

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
    Thanks.
    First, we only give sympathy when sympathy is due. Crocodile tears don't usually work around here.
    Second, I assume (pretend) that this all happened in Ohio.
    Third, if the seat belt charge had nothing to do with the pot charge, why was the pot charge even mentioned.
    Forth, were you ONLY charged with a seat belt violation? ORC 4513.263(D) seat belt charge is secondary charge. In other words you cannot legally be stopped just for a seat belt violation.
    Fifth, nobody said you were a dumb ass. But, what you wrote sure made you look like a dumb ass.
    Sixth, it's tough to give you our worthless opinion without the facts.
    Seventh, with that said, the fact is you need a GOOD attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by BriKuz View Post
    CoL, Eye, you two need to set aside your differences and give the OP some really good advice, not just a short one liner!

The advice I would give would be "Get a person who not only has their Juris Doctorate, but one who is also admitted before the par to act as solicitor and counselor in your state of residence."

(I know there's some mighty big words there... and what it is that I'm actually trying to get CoL and Eye to agree on saying is: "Get an Attorney!")

Moving on...
    what? your jurisdiction doesn't allow reading for the law?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I was being facetious.... though, now that you mention it, I really don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BriKuz View Post
    I was being facetious.... though, now that you mention it, I really don't know...
    The County-seat Lawyer is a dying breed. That I know, only California, Maine, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington still allow law readers bar admission. Wisconsin until quite recently. Follow the money.

http://www.volokh.com/2013/09/12/ele...th-law-school/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-13-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Well,,,

Fact is that you will need to go to court.
    You will need to pay the fines they levy against you.
    You will need to beg enough that the court will forgive you for being late,
    enough so that they will quash the warrant and restore your citizenship to normal status.

You have not lost your right to carry,,, yet!!
    You should not open carry, wear funny clothes, talk loud, etc...
    You should not even go out in the world, or anywhere that a cop might see you, recognize you, or stop you for any reason!

You have a Warrant!!!!
    You can be Arrested just for being You!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Does he really need an attorney?

Can't he just offer the judge and prosecutor some of his bud if they'll just drop the charges?

Just wondering.

------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    Does he really need an attorney?

Can't he just offer the judge and prosecutor some of his bud if they'll just drop the charges?...

Finally, a sign of intelligence on this thread!

Banned

I have an idea! How about instead of a lawyer, he just offers the judge a baggie full of the good stuff?

<o>

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I have an idea! How about instead of a lawyer, he just offers the judge a baggie full of the good stuff?

<o>
    It is a little hard to process with this great buzz I've got going on, but did you just suggest a bribe? Wouldn't that be illegal and therefore against the forum rules?

Just asking.

Oh, and BTW, I don't do illegal drugs of any kind to the Buzz comment was NOT a reference to being high or intoxicated in any manner!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast