• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with a FTA traffic warrant

MyWifeSaidYes

Does he really need an attorney?

Can't he just offer the judge and prosecutor some of his bud if they'll just drop the charges?

Just wondering.

:confused:

eye95

I have an idea! How about instead of a lawyer, he just offers the judge a baggie full of the good stuff?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

JoeSparky

Centurion
I have an idea! How about instead of a lawyer, he just offers the judge a baggie full of the good stuff?

<o>

It is a little hard to process with this great buzz I've got going on, but did you just suggest a bribe? Wouldn't that be illegal and therefore against the forum rules?

Just asking.

Oh, and BTW, I don't do illegal drugs of any kind to the Buzz comment was NOT a reference to being high or intoxicated in any manner!

Werz

A few practical issues to consider:

• If he needs to save up money to pay for a seat belt violation, is he likely have some difficulty in paying an attorney's retainer?
  • Is a judge likely to appoint him legal counsel at no cost while he is still at large on a failure-to-appear charge?
  • If he knows that he has an outstanding capias, does he really want to walk around in public with a visible handgun?
Just sayin' ...

JediSkipdogg

Ditto Werz and wowzers, it's threads like this that remind me why I only stop on here every few weeks instead of more option.

He has a traffic capias out on him for a seat belt ticket. He should call the courthouse to find out how much the fine is. Then he should find a friend to to loan him the money to pay said fine. After that is complete he should leave his firearm at home and have said friend drive him to the courthouse to pay the fine. All should then be taken care of.

~There is no need to call an attorney for a seat belt ticket.
~I would not carry the firearm as since it's a capias/warrant out for him if the officer decides to take him to jail, his firearm will be locked up and be more of a hassle to get back than anything.
~I would not drive as courts have been issuing License Forfeitures like crazy on any warrants as a punishment for the warrant being issued. This means your license MAY be suspended.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Ditto Werz and wowzers, it's threads like this that remind me why I only stop on here every few weeks instead of more option.

He has a traffic capias out on him for a seat belt ticket. He should call the courthouse to find out how much the fine is. Then he should find a friend to to loan him the money to pay said fine. After that is complete he should leave his firearm at home and have said friend drive him to the courthouse to pay the fine. All should then be taken care of.

~I would not carry the firearm as since it's a capias/warrant out for him if the officer decides to take him to jail, his firearm will be locked up and be more of a hassle to get back than anything.
~I would not drive as courts have been issuing License Forfeitures like crazy on any warrants as a punishment for the warrant being issued. This means your license MAY be suspended.

He would not be calling an attorney for a non-jailable minor misdemeanor seat belt violation. He would be calling an attorney for a jailable warrant for his arrest.

JediSkipdogg.........it's threads like this that remind me why I only stop on here every few weeks instead of more option.

And I'm sure this standard also applies to OFCC, BFA and all the other gun forums that have an equal number of threads just like this.

Last edited:

JediSkipdogg

He would not be calling an attorney for a non-jailable minor misdemeanor seat belt violation. He would be calling an attorney for a jailable warrant for his arrest.

And I'm sure this standard also applies to OFCC, BFA and all the other gun forums that have an equal number of threads just like this.

A jailable warrant on a minor misdemeanor traffic violation that can be handled by paying probably $50. What can the attorney do? he's going to say pay me $200 and turn yourself in. The attorney can't get rid of the warrant, only the OP can. And to do that he either needs to pay the fine out or turn himself in to either be recited and given a new court date or to taken to jail for the next arraignment. Either case, I see nothing an attorney can do to assist in this matter.

eye95

His question was not simply about a traffic ticket. He had dug a much deeper hole than that--and then asked us for what is essentially legal advice about his unique situation. I can tell him what I'd personally do (clear up the warrants and tickets and not carry until I did), but any advice about his specific situation should come from a lawyer.

<o>

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
A jailable warrant on a minor misdemeanor traffic violation that can be handled by paying probably $50. What can the attorney do? he's going to say pay me $200 and turn yourself in. The attorney can't get rid of the warrant, only the OP can. And to do that he either needs to pay the fine out or turn himself in to either be recited and given a new court date or to taken to jail for the next arraignment. Either case, I see nothing an attorney can do to assist in this matter.
Great advise telling a pot smoking neophyte, who asked non-attorneys for legal counsel, to enter the belly of the beast on his own accord.

Do you really think Werz would be telling the judge to go easy on this abecedarian?

JediSkipdogg

Great advise telling a pot smoking neophyte, who asked non-attorneys for legal counsel, to enter the belly of the beast on his own accord.

Do you really think Werz would be telling the judge to go easy on this abecedarian?

I bet you'd tell someone to consult an attorney as well to expunge that misdemeanor weed ticket after a year. Attorneys aren't needed for everything and actually, I do think Werz would go easy on him because Werz sounds like a good guy. I work with 34 officers that would go easy on a first time violator that forgot to pay his citation out before the court date. I know about a thousand more that would go easy as well. I know about 20 that would waste time and take him to jail to prove a point and about another 20 that would charge him with weapons under disability if the seatbelt warrant is from another state (if it's from Ohio then it wouldn't apply.)

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I bet you'd tell someone to consult an attorney as well to expunge that misdemeanor weed ticket after a year. Attorneys aren't needed for everything and actually, I do think Werz would go easy on him because Werz sounds like a good guy. I work with 34 officers that would go easy on a first time violator that forgot to pay his citation out before the court date. I know about a thousand more that would go easy as well. I know about 20 that would waste time and take him to jail to prove a point and about another 20 that would charge him with weapons under disability if the seatbelt warrant is from another state (if it's from Ohio then it wouldn't apply.)
You would loose that bet if the that person had the ability to think on his feet and grasp the facts on his own. Many people don't have the personality or the wherewithal to handle such a task, hence, a man who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client.

This is a dead issue. The OP, more than likely, will not be heard from again.

Werz

I don't handle misdemeanor cases, but I'm familiar with the usual process. Judges don't want to waste jail space on stuff like this. It is likely that he will incur more fines and more court costs.

If he can't pay the fine and costs, the judge may give him a couple of weeks, maybe a month, and set a hearing for him to appear and pay or explain why not. If he fails to appear, another warrant issues.

This process can go on for quite a long time. Every time he fails to pay, he incurs more fines and costs. Every time he fails to appear, a warrant is issued and he's subject to a search incident to arrest.

Sure, the pick-up radius may be in-county only. But the outstanding warrant will pop up for every stop, so that means handcuffs and a search each time, even if it's just a "catch and release." The faster he can pay this off, the better.

Logan 5

I thought that FTA was considered a violent crime in 56 of the 57 states?
Seatbelt violation, Mis.2.
And then possession of contraband, Mis.1.

Sounds like 12-20 years.

Or am I thinking Indiana?