• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with a FTA traffic warrant

sailorjohn

Does having a failure to appear warrant on a traffic ticket (seat belt violation) take away a persons right to open carry in Ohio? I am waiting till I get paid so I can take care of this matter, I want to continue to open carry my pistol now though. I'm rather scared, I've never been in trouble before. at the same stop I was issued a citation for a misdemeanor 1st degree for possession of a small amount of marijuana... I screwed up! I've learned my lesson, I wear my seat belt all the time now, and I haven't touched marijuana since then. so can I open carry my pistol still?

Thanks
John

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Your first time post because you are in trouble.

I suggest you get an attorney.

So, how did you appear for the marijuana charge and not the seat belt charge?

So, what did you get stopped for, the seat belt or marijuana?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it before ;), but you should speak with your attorney, and or your public defender (if still applicable).

JoeSparky

Centurion
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, GET AN ATTORNEY! OH, yeah, QUITE VIOLATING THE LAW! We have enough problems with our rights being violated by Opinion Enforcement Officers WITH them having a valid legal reason to harass us!

eye95

I know that no one has mentioned getting an attorney before, but if you do decide to get one, despite no encouragement from us to do so, ask him if that FTA would cause you to be considered a "fugitive from justice."

Hareuhal

Really, OCDO?

I would have surely thought someone would have advised him by now to get an attorney..

I'm disappointed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

sailorjohn

Your first time post because you are in trouble.

So, how did you appear for the marijuana charge and not the seat belt charge?

So, what did you get stopped for, the seat belt or marijuana?

I took care of the pot charge, forgot about the seat belt ticket.. I screwed up. since I've been replied to like I'm just a dumb ass, I'd like you to know that I have not touched pot since.
all the replies and not a true answer to my question other than get an attorney.
Thanks.

eye95

Nobody was replying to you like a dumbass. One guy advised you to talk to a lawyer. It was good advice. The rest of us were just having some fun with each other.

There are certain questions most of us won't answer. We will leave it to a lawyer.

Anyway, in case no one else tells you. Let me advise you to get a lawyer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

EMNofSeattle

I took care of the pot charge, forgot about the seat belt ticket.. I screwed up. since I've been replied to like I'm just a dumb ass, I'd like you to know that I have not touched pot since.
all the replies and not a true answer to my question other than get an attorney.
Thanks.

What state is the warrant in? which state do you reside in? which state do you intend to open carry in?

does your state remove gun rights from people who fail to appear? there's not enough information here to tell you. others on the this thread have said to get an attorney, me personally... I'd consult an attorney.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Nobody was replying to you like a dumbass. One guy advised you to talk to a lawyer. It was good advice. The rest of us were just having some fun with each other.

There are certain questions most of us won't answer. We will leave it to a lawyer.

Anyway, in case no one else tells you. Let me advise you to get a lawyer.
As usual, you are WAAAY off base.

Help the guy - you know, the one who can't be bothered to properly capitalize, tell the whole story in his plea for information, or show any appreciation - you know, that guy.

Be a pal and at least tell him to SPEAK WITH A LAWYER! :banghead:

eye95

You're right. I dropped the ball. I shoulda told him to talk to a member of the bar!

<o>

BriKuz

CoL, Eye, you two need to set aside your differences and give the OP some really good advice, not just a short one liner!

The advice I would give would be "Get a person who not only has their Juris Doctorate, but one who is also admitted before the par to act as solicitor and counselor in your state of residence."

(I know there's some mighty big words there... and what it is that I'm actually trying to get CoL and Eye to agree on saying is: "Get an Attorney!")

Moving on...

Last edited:

eye95

CoL told him to get an attorney. I disagree emphatically. Instead he should get an attorney.

<o>

BriKuz

If you two ever agreed on something, we'd already be in brotherly-love, Oberlin paradise, and wouldn't ever need a firearm again, as even the raging wild animals would stop at the love being produced by the attackee... but since one of you wants him to get an attorney, and the other wants him to RETAIN an attorney, all is still right with the world!

:banana::monkey:banghead:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks.
First, we only give sympathy when sympathy is due. Crocodile tears don't usually work around here.
Second, I assume (pretend) that this all happened in Ohio.
Third, if the seat belt charge had nothing to do with the pot charge, why was the pot charge even mentioned.
Forth, were you ONLY charged with a seat belt violation? ORC 4513.263(D) seat belt charge is secondary charge. In other words you cannot legally be stopped just for a seat belt violation.
Fifth, nobody said you were a dumb ass. But, what you wrote sure made you look like a dumb ass.
Sixth, it's tough to give you our worthless opinion without the facts.
Seventh, with that said, the fact is you need a GOOD attorney.

EMNofSeattle

CoL, Eye, you two need to set aside your differences and give the OP some really good advice, not just a short one liner!

The advice I would give would be "Get a person who not only has their Juris Doctorate, but one who is also admitted before the par to act as solicitor and counselor in your state of residence."

(I know there's some mighty big words there... and what it is that I'm actually trying to get CoL and Eye to agree on saying is: "Get an Attorney!")

Moving on...

what? your jurisdiction doesn't allow reading for the law?

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Fact is that you will need to go to court.
You will need to pay the fines they levy against you.
You will need to beg enough that the court will forgive you for being late,
enough so that they will quash the warrant and restore your citizenship to normal status.

You have not lost your right to carry,,, yet!!
You should not open carry, wear funny clothes, talk loud, etc...
You should not even go out in the world, or anywhere that a cop might see you, recognize you, or stop you for any reason!

You have a Warrant!!!!
You can be Arrested just for being You!!!