Thread: Visiting MI from OH

Visiting MI from OH

I'll be in MI for a couple of days next week traveling on business with a coworker and will be carrying on the trip. I have an Ohio Concealed Handgun License and I've reviewed the information on handgunlaw.us so I think I have a decent understanding of places I can't carry, etc. I understand MI has a duty to inform when stopped by LE, but if I'm a passenger do I have to inform, and if so, when?
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    I'll be in MI for a couple of days next week traveling on business with a coworker and will be carrying on the trip. I have an Ohio Concealed Handgun License and I've reviewed the information on handgunlaw.us so I think I have a decent understanding of places I can't carry, etc. I understand MI has a duty to inform when stopped by LE, but if I'm a passenger do I have to inform, and if so, when?
    Federal case law = all passengers of a vehicle are stopped when a car is pulled over. (EDIT: Cite http://www.tdcorg.com/download/Passe...d-10-01-07.pdf )

So you must disclose immediately.
    Last edited by zigziggityzoo; 09-13-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: CITE ADDED

Thanks - in Ohio you have a duty to inform as well and the law specifically states that passengers must inform so I figured I'd check.

Anything else you can think of I ought to know would be appreciated also.
    Last edited by JustaShooter; 09-13-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    NRA Life Member

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    Anything else you can think of I ought to know would be appreciated also.
    Given you're on business - the only big one you'll have a chance to run into: Don't conceal in a bar/tavern. Open carry with your concealed permit should be good to go.

And if you're stopped and carrying concealed, and an officer demands your license and concealed license, you must hand both over.

An officer may take your firearm for "officer safety" for the duration of the stop, and must return it to you at the end of the stop, unless you're going to jail, of course. I advise that you notify the officer you would rather not handle the firearm and let the officer remove it from your person.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    i travel into ohio quite a bit and have family who have ohio carry licenses so i've compared the laws of the two states quite a bit. if you follow the rules of ohio, i don't think you'll run afoul of any michigan laws. they are nearly identical, but i think ohio is a bit more restrictive.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    i travel into ohio quite a bit and have family who have ohio carry licenses so i've compared the laws of the two states quite a bit. if you follow the rules of ohio, i don't think you'll run afoul of any michigan laws. they are nearly identical, but i think ohio is a bit more restrictive.
    Pretty much what I was able to gather from my research, nice to hear it from the people who live with it though.

Thanks everybody, much appreciated!
    Last edited by JustaShooter; 09-13-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    Yup very similar laws and Welcome to Michigan!
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    Yup very similar laws and Welcome to Michigan!
    Hey thanks! I'm back in Ohio now, it was a good trip. I'll probably have to make a couple more trips to this customer to take care of a few more things. All in all a good trip, thanks for the advice and feedback!
    NRA Life Member