Thread: Required to watch video for CPL

Required to watch video for CPL

Friends of ours (a married couple) allowed their CPL's to lapse. When starting the process again they were informed they were required to watch a video on the laws.

Ok...My google fu is weak .... I can't find where "watching a video" is required by law.

Edited to add:

I called Duncans in Bay City and they said reviewing the law for 3 hours is required ... and when I said folks can do that on their own without paying to watch a video the gentleman said he wasn't going to argue the point.

However... Duncans does offer a package deal for their assistance in renewing a CPL that includes that video and the hour of range time for $57.

So... does the CPl having lapsed negate the person's ability to satisfy the requirement to review the law and have an hour's range time on their own and attest to that on the form?
    Last edited by Bikenut; 09-14-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Friends of ours (a married couple) allowed their CPL's to lapse. When starting the process again they were informed they were required to watch a video on the laws.

Ok...My google fu is weak .... I can't find where "watching a video" is required by law.

Edited to add:

I called Duncans in Bay City and they said reviewing the law for 3 hours is required ... and when I said folks can do that on their own without paying to watch a video the gentleman said he wasn't going to argue the point.

However... Duncans does offer a package deal for their assistance in renewing a CPL that includes that video and the hour of range time for $57.

So... does the CPl having lapsed negate the person's ability to satisfy the requirement to review the law and have an hour's range time on their own and attest to that on the form?
    For Renewal, regardless of lapse, you must sign an affidavit (basically a document that says "I swear" ) that says you reviewed the law for 3 hours. That's it.

No magic video that only Duncan's knows about. Though that would certainly do it if the video is about the laws in the state of MI.

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    For Renewal, regardless of lapse, you must sign an affidavit (basically a document that says "I swear" ) that says you reviewed the law for 3 hours. That's it.

No magic video that only Duncan's knows about. Though that would certainly do it if the video is about the laws in the state of MI.
    Thanks Zig... I was almost certain that is how it works but was unsure because of the "lapse" part.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Why does this 'Duncans' have anything to do with renewing a CPL?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    Why does this 'Duncans' have anything to do with renewing a CPL?
    Duncans was the place the couple were supposed to go to and watch the video. Actually the husband already did watch it at Duncans and now the wife is going to turn in her paperwork and thought she also had to go watch the video.

I only called Duncans but I suspect that they aren't the only place offering that video/package deal to help folks renew their CPL.

I apologize for being unclear on that.

Apparently there are enough folks who do not know that they can review the law(s) for 3 hours and get an hour's range time on their own to satisfy the requirements of the affidavit and attest to it with their signature.... to make it profitable for Duncans (and perhaps other gun shops) to offer to help.

Not knocking Duncans or anyone for having a package deal to help renew CPL's... I was just trying to figure out if it was required to attend such a thing because a CPL "lapsed". It was the "lapsed" part that had me curious and I couldn't find anything in the law(s)...

Re: Required to watch video for CPL

Well to me (could be over synical) why would Duncan's tell anyone that they can study the laws on their own? That's an easy $57 out the door. Or put another way, the reason so many CPL instructor's go out of their way not to debunk the myth that you must have a CPL to carry a pistol in MI. Self interest wins the day more often than not.

Good on you Bikenut for saving them some money. I have nothing against places training people who actually want to be trained. A good thing in my book. There are those places though who will give the impression that training must be taken at their facility. Those places rank right up there with used car salesmen & politicians in my book. When their lips are moving....it's a good bet a lie is coming from them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post

I wonder if the trolling of this and other forums that deal with legal firearm issues and applicable statutes qualifies?

Hmmmm
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

Quote Originally Posted by Hevymetal View Post
    I wonder if the trolling of this and other forums that deal with legal firearm issues and applicable statutes qualifies?

Hmmmm
    INHO, Absolutely!
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Campaign Veteran

Hmmmm
    Over the course of 6 months, I most definitely get 3 hours of time in reviewing the law. Sometimes it takes that long just to read one court case.

Centurion

Required to watch video for CPL

Hmmmm
    It should qualify. And the information would probably be more accurate and discussed more fully so as to be better understood!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

3 hours of review and an hour of range time? Hell I just about do that every week. Sometimes several times.
    Last edited by Evil Creamsicle; 09-17-2013 at 11:24 AM.