• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yakima O/C Report

WA_G32

Spent about an hour & a half in Walmart in Yakima...the newer one on Nob Hill out in West Valley. Had my three year old twin girls with me. Was carrying a Ruger LCP. Not one snide remark and no employees asking me to leave or cover up. Then onto Wray's at Nob Hill & 3rd Ave to buy meat. Agian uneventfull. Next up was the bakery outlet on 1st ave for bread and no issues. Last stop was ARCO on Fruitvale & 40th..although I didn't go inside, just using the cash machine outside to buy fuel. This was the most I've open carried outside of hunting. I thought for sure I might get hassled...or the LCP is just not that scary or noticeable. Definately will open carry in the summer more often now. This is the rig on my hip today..Ruger LCP in a Mitch Rosen holster.

vegas1438.jpg

WA_G32

Lol no thanks..I could always carry bigger guns that I have but I honestly don't want attention brought my way.

Alpine

I've fired both the LCP and the LC9. I actually like the LCP better for all its smaller, less stopping power and has less features. The LC9's trigger pull is awful, recoil is bad, finish isn't great. The only thing it has going for it is the price and even that isn't super fantastic. That said, I don't carry the LCP and if I did it would probably be a BUG but I can understand why someone might, I found it surprisingly smooth to shoot and yet very lightweight.

In the meantime I'll stick to OCing my S&W governor but I am considering the LCP for a concealed BUG. It's certainly cheaper than many other subcompacts.

WA_G32

I also carry some other guns. One being a Taurus 850. When I put the two side by side they are almost the same size. Power factor is darn close for the ammo I carry in each. 90 grain in the .380 and 110 grain non +p in the .38---both Hornady Critical Defense. The LCP carries two extra rounds. Both rounds penetrate very close to the same. When I feel like stepping up I carry a Glock G32 or a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 :eek:

509rifas

CPL was expired for about a week in late August to early September so I had to OC the 92 everywhere I went in Sunnyside. Very uneventful. The only acknowledgement I got was after talking to some guy for five minutes and then walking away "dude I didn't know you had one of those! Nice!" Otherwise I got maybe one second look, with the exceptions of when I was walking along the road, in which cases many people turned their heads, but that could very well been to check out my amazing hair.
Since then I do maybe once or twice a week when walking to the store or whatever, also highly uneventful occasions.

Schlepnier

Typically your not going to have an issue with walmart, the official corporate policy is to follow state law.

The one incident I am aware of in Everett where a store manager decided to ignore policy landed him in hot water with the regional manager once a complaint was filed.

Blueslant

Nobody's going to notice that girly-gun! :uhoh:

Get yourself one of these: http://tinyurl.com/32f43q4

(S & W 500 Magnum)

Carry on! :cool:

Nobody notices my P938 in Yakima either. I can't complain though. I'm still fairly new to OC. Starbucks, AM/PM on 40th, and a few select stores that are clear about the policies (walgreens@40th and summitview for instance). Though it seems that the Starbucks portion might change in the near future, which is a shame.

Anyway, carry on.

509rifas

OC in Yakima County is noticeably uneventful. Been OCing around town in Sunnyside a lot more with the 92, the store clerks are used to me and no one else even looks twice. Went to the range in Prosser with a buddy who OC'd his (and formerly my) Jenning 22 (yes, I know how that sounds, but he made it suprisingly reliable even with brick ammo) around Prosser and Sunnyside, no one seems to notice or care. Was in line at a store with my 92 sticking out when a cop came in and talked to someone for a bit, and smiled and said hi as I left.

Alodoxx

While at the store recently in Yakima I got into a conversation with an old lady about OC. She said she saw (what she thought was) a gang member looking person carrying a pistol. She called the cops on him, who asked what he was doing. Minding his own business didn't warrant a cop being sent. The lady I was talking to didn't think that people like him should be allowed to OC. No amount of me saying 'the laws for everybody' was going to change her mind because to her such 'scum' shouldn't have guns.

She was afraid.

A little bit later I convinced her that maybe she should go get one of her own.

509rifas

Next time remind a person like that, that if he was a gang member/felon he wouldn't be OCing.

I wouldn't find it hard to believe a gang member with no felonies would OC. However, since the average age to join a gang is 14, and they can make it 7+ years without a felony and legally acquire a weapon and carry it within the law, I wouldn't be particularly concerned about their propensity for violence.

I bet that guy at the Vancouver Sears who OC'd with a shoulder holster probably got called a gang member- his hat and shirt were the same color and he doesn't fit the stereotype of a gun nut.

Last edited:

509rifas

Went to the store in Sunnyside OCing to get a shellholder, saw a unicorn.
They guy I was with (also OCing) said since he's started he's noticed a few of his neighbors do as well.

larrynjr

My first ever in town OC. Son and I went into Yakima, parked in front of Famous Footwear, store wasn't open yet, walked sidewalk to Macy's. Mall cop drove by while I was gun to him / her. No slowdown. Crosswalk, UG police stopped got out of car walked past me without a glance. Into Macy's no looks, no comments. Went to Car audio store, no comments. Went to Fred Meyer, no comments or looks that I saw. Asked son afterward, he didn't notice anyone giving me any second looks......Nice first outing!
xdm.45.jpg

Last edited:

larrynjr

I was a bit surprised too but I had some amount of camouflage as my son is disabled and in a powerchair, they may have been looking more at him than at me.....