Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tugging on a holstered handgun ain't funny, y'all

Tugging on a holstered handgun ain't funny, y'all

About fifteen minutes ago, some coworkers walked into the fast food restaurant I was enjoying. While chatting with them, one of them thought it would be funny to tug on my holstered handgun.
    Elbow clamped it down and weak side knife came out and between us, chest level. "Take your (expletive) hand off the gun."
    I'm glad he listened. Hate for someone to get hurt just for being stupid.
    ... Still shaking, though.

Banned

Tugging on a holstered handgun ain't funny, y'all

You were absolutely right not to react as though he was kidding--even though he surely was. You would be responsible (at least partly) if something bad happened from the incident.

NO ONE touches my gun unless I OK it. NO ONE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

I have to agree, it ain't funny. Right along with messin' with my hat!

I have to hope that he learned his lesson and will become an upstanding, safety-minded member of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertongue View Post
    I have to hope that he learned his lesson and will become an upstanding, safety-minded member of society.
    I'm sure he'll get right on that, as soon as he cleans his shorts!
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    I'm sure he'll get right on that, as soon as he cleans his shorts!
    It's not like I carry a tan Karambit with a four-inch blade in my pocket or anything.

For his own safety, I hope so (but if not, Darwin Award!).

Glad you handled it so well, I don't think they'll forget about it anytime soon. Am I correct to assume your reaction was reflexive? If so, an extra +1 for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    For his own safety, I hope so (but if not, Darwin Award!).

Glad you handled it so well, I don't think they'll forget about it anytime soon. Am I correct to assume your reaction was reflexive? If so, an extra +1 for you.
    Looking back, the only thing I can say about my reaction is "too slow." I saw him coming up on my 4:00 and should have bladed off to him, even though I knew him. Could have kept the whole thing from happening.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    So many things could be said.. But.. You're exactly right. It ain't funny. It's a very serious matter. Hopefully he realizes he should never, ever do something like that again. An apology from him wouldn't be out of line, either, though I wouldn't necessarily go asking for one. He might be a little ashamed once he realizes the gravity of his action. Even if he meant it playfully, it doesn't change what it is, and it was a huge mistake.

On the up side, the holster did its job very well.

Anybody else rocking a Safariland ALS system?

Stupid is as stupid does.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Banned
    Idiot almost cost you both your jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Idiot almost cost you both your jobs.
    I certainly hope that whatever reaction I had short of shooting him would have resulted in no action from the retail company for which I work. It was my day off.

However, they have some weird policies about what people can do on their meal breaks, so it's possible that he might have been punished. I don't know.

I let upper-level store management know today. The manager I told responded with "What is he, stupid or something?" And that was it.

Re: Tugging on a holstered handgun ain't funny, y'all

Kudos to you. This is definitely a big wake up call for me as I am realizing just now that I'm probably a little too cavalier/comfortable around people I know. Thank you for sharing! Situational awareness is a matter of diligence

Yeah, I had a buddy do this to me once. Sad part is he's a gun guy, too. I knew he was there, so he only caught me off guard insofar as I didn't think he'd do something like that. Therefore, my reaction was quite measured. I advised him that next time it wouldn't be.

Re: Tugging on a holstered handgun ain't funny, y'all

On the up side, the holster did its job very well.

Anybody else rocking a Safariland ALS system?
    That's my preferred holster and the only one I OC with!
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

Centurion
    I could VERY EASILY construe someone grabbing/tugging my holstered firearm as an allempt to illegally disarm me and attempted theft of said firearm. This could also by extension be the immediate precursor to their attempt to use my firearm against me in a illegal manner. Any such action will be aggressively and potentially violently resisted by me.

Just what sort of fool does this sort of stuff?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Banned
    I certainly hope that whatever reaction I had short of shooting him would have resulted in no action from the retail company for which I work. It was my day off.

However, they have some weird policies about what people can do on their meal breaks, so it's possible that he might have been punished. I don't know.

I let upper-level store management know today. The manager I told responded with "What is he, stupid or something?" And that was it.
    The problem I see is that he pulled a knife. If I was there and was their manager ... if "I'm sorrys" all around were not made, they would not have needed to hurry to finish their lunches ...

Kudos for coming out the far side without a major police report starring your name.

I understand it was "a friend" but I am tactically concerned about
    and weak side knife came out and between us, chest level.
    Why chest level? Among many other concerns, there are a whole lot of bones that will get in the way of the blade going in. Also, cutting/stabbing the chest does little that I can see towards getting the hand off your handgun.

I carry a TDI http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/76 carried weak-side. I have trained to cut across the top of the hand that is holding my strong-side arm or my firearm (there are blunt-edged trainers available) which will pretty much guarantee that whoever has a grip on you or your handgun will let go. (And if I'm positive it is just some idiot with no malice in their heart trying to show off, I can turn the blade and rake their hand with the back of the knife, which is painful in its own right.)

Of course, YMMV applies to this tactic as it does to all other tactics.

But I'd still like to hear why you chose to target the chest.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Most major corporate lawsuit-averse companies would treat any such interaction between coworkers, even off duty, as at least potentially "workplace violence", at least to the point of conducting a threat assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Kudos for coming out the far side without a major police report starring your name.

I understand it was "a friend" but I am tactically concerned about

Why chest level? Among many other concerns, there are a whole lot of bones that will get in the way of the blade going in. Also, cutting/stabbing the chest does little that I can see towards getting the hand off your handgun.

I carry a TDI http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/76 carried weak-side. I have trained to cut across the top of the hand that is holding my strong-side arm or my firearm (there are blunt-edged trainers available) which will pretty much guarantee that whoever has a grip on you or your handgun will let go. (And if I'm positive it is just some idiot with no malice in their heart trying to show off, I can turn the blade and rake their hand with the back of the knife, which is painful in its own right.)

Of course, YMMV applies to this tactic as it does to all other tactics.

But I'd still like to hear why you chose to target the chest.

stay safe.
    It was coming up from the pocket toward the neck/face area, but I stopped at his chest. I saw the look on his fave and how he seemed terrified, and just couldn't bring myself to continue that action.

That's the way my brother and I practice it. Sometimes it's a slash to the throat, and sometimes it's a feint just to get him off balance. Gotta play tough with him, he was Air Force Security.

Edit: Your question is exactly why I posted this. I want my actions picked apart the way they would be if it had come to spilled blood. Thanks for being tough on me, skid.
    Last edited by Silvertongue; 09-16-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    The problem I see is that he pulled a knife. If I was there and was their manager ... if "I'm sorrys" all around were not made, they would not have needed to hurry to finish their lunches ...
    Funniest thing is, dude tried to hug me ON MY STRONG SIDE. I decided to leave and make my thoughts on it known on social media.

"I love each and every one of you. Please refrain from unsafe jokes in my presence, as they will not be tolerated. If you simply cannot contain yourself, please don't make me hurt you to show why your joke is wrong. I'd feel bad about it later."

Hope that got the message across (and might look good in court, if it comes to it)

Wow - adults acting like children. I once had somebody try to grab my sidearm just in an attempt to provoke me. That nonsense isn't funny at ALL.

If you mess with my guns (or my truck), you're gonna have a bad time.

Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    ...SNIP... you're gonna have a bad time.

.... Gotta play tough with him, he was Air Force Security.

Edit: Your question is exactly why I posted this. I want my actions picked apart the way they would be if it had come to spilled blood. Thanks for being tough on me, skid.
    Play tough with him? Sever the tendons/ligaments on the back of his hand. If your blade is truely razor sharp the medicos will be able to reattach some/most of them and he might be able to close his hand again. Seriously, he's (your former friend and acquaintence or just sumdood) got his hand on my gun, I'm thinking they mean to take it away from me, and not to admire the shiney parts. Well, not unless he anounced his intention to horseplay before he started. At that point, shoud it have gone down that way, I would have spun around on him and used my best Drill Instructor/Parent voice to ask him just what he was planning to do and where he had stored his brains before making the decision to horseplay. Pretty sure folks in rstaurants two blocks away would have heard me.

If I knew he was AF Security and thought he was making a grab for my handgun I would take it as a serious threat - he's trained! Let his attorney stand up in court and say his client, a trained individual, was horseplaying. I would like to know how long the judge would need to get the jury to stop laughing.

Just in case anybody is missing the point - unless we are in a pre-planned training scenario any attempt to snatch my handgun is going to be responded to as an imminent threat of death of death or serious bodily injury. Why? Because I have only idea of what someone would want to do with my handgun after snatching it away from me - and that idea has nothing to do with exchanging spit in the shower, as Gunny Highway once described it. Why anybody else would think otherwise eludes me.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast