• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tugging on a holstered handgun ain't funny, y'all

eye95

Well a reasonable person would take a second to assess the situation before pulling a deadly weapon and holding it to the individual's chest, especially when said individual is a known coworker in a group of other known coworkers. To think that is an unreasonable statement makes me question one's ability to properly assess when deadly force is actually authorized.

And again, as soon as the OP decided to pull a deadly weapon and hold it to the guy's chest, that guy would have been legally justified in placing two rounds in OP's chest. Would that have been excessive? Absolutely, but it would be easier to claim fear for his life having a knife held to his chest than the OP would if he had to explain that a tug on his retention holstered firearm warranted a lethal force response.

Whether or not you even have that second to assess is questionable. I carry my Glock in a Serpa, so I'd have more than a second, and wouldn't have to draw. If someone is carrying in a non-retention holster, he won't have that precious second.

Also, in many States, including Alabama, if you are the initial aggressor, you can't claim self-defense, unless the whole encounter stopped completely, and then started up anew with the other guy as the aggressor. As described here, that is not the case. Again, as I pointed out in my other post, based on what could be proved, the pulling of the knife could be seen (incorrectly) as the initial aggressive act. However, if the facts bore out in court as presented by the OP, at least in Alabama, the gun-grabber could not claim self-defense.

7om5hipp

I agree with Eye. You may not have that moment to think and judge, I have two holsters, one with retention and one without, if you tug on the one with the strap you might find yourself on your back looking at the pretty birdies, but if you tug the one with out a strap you will find yourself in a whole other world of hurt. I am not trying to sound like a bad ass or anything, but it is how I was trained.

Medic1210

Whether or not you even have that second to assess is questionable. I carry my Glock in a Serpa, so I'd have more than a second, and wouldn't have to draw. If someone is carrying in a non-retention holster, he won't have that precious second.

Also, in many States, including Alabama, if you are the initial aggressor, you can't claim self-defense, unless the whole encounter stopped completely, and then started up anew with the other guy as the aggressor. As described here, that is not the case. Again, as I pointed out in my other post, based on what could be proved, the pulling of the knife could be seen (incorrectly) as the initial aggressive act. However, if the facts bore out in court as presented by the OP, at least in Alabama, the gun-grabber could not claim self-defense.

Well, the OP admittedly had a rather effective retention holster, a Safariland ALS, so I believe it's safe to say he had time to assess the situation before pulling a knife. Why would you even go for the knife as the first response anyway? Why wouldn't you put all your focus and energy on making sure the weapon stays in the holster? Besides, I stand by my comment that a rational person would assess the situation before pulling a deadly weapon out. In many states, the only time you are allowed to display a deadly weapon is when deadly force is authorized. If anybody here truly believes that deadly force was authorized in that situation, please leave the internet, because you are the type of person the anti gun crowd loves to quote when portraying all gun owners as being twitchy, hair trigger Rambo wannabes, just waiting for any opportunity to shoot someone.

As far as the initial aggressor comment, do you honestly think any judge or jury would consider a joking tug at a firearm from a coworker to be a valid threat or call him the initial aggressor? Do you honestly think all the other coworkers who witnessed the event would stand up and say they felt his grab was a legitimate attempt at going for a gun rather than a joke? Be realistic.

Again, what if this ad been some young child who knew no better than to walk up and grab the handle of the firearm? Do you immediately whip around and gut the kid, or threaten to gut him? I sure as hell hope not. Do you honestly think a true attempt at snatching a holstered firearm is going to be felt as a little tug rather than a rough yank followed by more yanks if the gun doesn't come out? Please be realistic. Be rational. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Medic1210

Why? I don't know. I WASN'T THERE! BTW, neither were you.

Nope, I wasn't. If that is the deciding factor that allows one to comment or question something, then why is anybody discussing this to begin with? Clearly nobody can give any opinion on the matter, either for or against since we weren't there, right? BTW, nice deflection away from the rest of my points.

Now, if you're willing to accept that the OP did a pretty decent job of painting a picture of what happened, maybe you'd agree that there is enough info to have a debate. Had the OP painted a picture that he was talking to someone, when some unknown individual came up and forcefully grabbed his firearm, yanking violently and aggressively trying to get it out of the holster, then maybe I would be a bit more understanding of his reaction. But he didn't paint that picture. Instead, the OP painted a picture of someone he clearly identified as a known coworker walking up with a group of or joining a group of other known coworkers. He said the guy tugged at his gun. To me, that picture does not scream legitimate threat requiring immediate escalation to use of lethal force.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Nope, I wasn't. If that is the deciding factor that allows one to comment or question something, then why is anybody discussing this to begin with? Clearly nobody can give any opinion on the matter, either for or against since we weren't there, right? BTW, nice deflection away from the rest of my points.

Now, if you're willing to accept that the OP did a pretty decent job of painting a picture of what happened, maybe you'd agree that there is enough info to have a debate. Had the OP painted a picture that he was talking to someone, when some unknown individual came up and forcefully grabbed his firearm, yanking violently and aggressively trying to get it out of the holster, then maybe I would be a bit more understanding of his reaction. But he didn't paint that picture. Instead, the OP painted a picture of someone he clearly identified as a known coworker walking up with a group of or joining a group of other known coworkers. He said the guy tugged at his gun. To me, that picture does not scream legitimate threat requiring immediate escalation to use of lethal force.

I agree 100% ...plus with subsequent posts, it seems as if this co-worker has a warped sense of humor...and likely other incidences preceded the one that started the thread.

Rusty Young Man

@Medic1210: I am willing to bet you are either trolling on OCDO and/or a 2nd Amendment hypocrite. Nonetheless, I will attempt to address the faults in your arguments before I hit the hay because of the antis and gun-grabbers that likely frequent these threads looking for, and generating themselves, ammunition (pun intended) to use against armed LACs. Here goes.

Now, my other question hasn't been answered. If the weak side knife that was pulled was actually a firearm, would the OP or you pull that on the guy? After all, you've already escalated the situation to that of using deadly force by drawing a blade and holding it to the guy's chest to throat. Really no difference legally than pulling a firearm and pointing it at the guy's chest. Both are considered deadly weapons in that situation.

If the weapon must be drawn, it is to be used (my stance, anyway). But in this case we are referring to firearm retention, a which should be a reflex and not conscious movement. Even a level 3 retention holster can be beaten by a determined criminal if you just stand there or put up little resistance. Therefore, we can logically conclude that retention of your firearm will entail clamping down on it to keep it from leaving its holster outside of your control, then addressing the threat. If, AND ONLY IF, you then have time and realize that no threat is present should you let down your guard back to condition yellow. Here are two real-life examples of similar instances, one with an aggressor, and one with a friendly "aggressor".

In this case, there is no weapon on the victim, but the victim initially THOUGHT it was a friend instead of an aggressor:

Police Lt. Gary Hutcheson said Adam Barnes, 31, was arrested on State Street after a man dressed as a Ghostbuster and another dressed as a Stormtrooper were assaulted outside Coast City Comics at Congress and Park streets, where people dressed in costumes had gathered about 2:30 p.m. Hutcheson said the Stormtrooper character – Owen Wood of Portland in real life – was thrown to the ground and the Ghostbuster character was punched.

Hutcheson said Barnes, who is 6 feet 4 inches tall and weighs 300 pounds, was intoxicated.

“It was completely random,” said Hutcheson.

Wood, who works at the information technology department at Southern Maine Community College in South Portland, said he was having fun at Free Comic Book Day before the assault.

“People were stopping and kids were dressed up in little superhero costumes,” said Wood.

Wood said someone grabbed him suddenly from behind. At first he thought it was a friend, but then the assailant started to choke him.

“My helmet fell off and he did get one good punch in,” said Wood.

http://www.kjonline.com/news/Two-men-assaulted-at-Portland-comic-book-event.html

So we have someone get assaulted, without the courtesy of a warning. I wonder why. Given the circumstances, and disparity in the size and strength between the victims and the aggressor, a justifiable shooting could have occurred had the victims been armed and the aggressor wanted to inflict serious harm or death.

I can hear you now:
"But he was drunk! He didn't know what he was doing." Just like people that decide to stab or beat someone to death, then claim the drunk defense, I suppose.

"But he didn't have a weapon! Lethal force would never be seen as justifiable in court because they would look unfavorably at a deadly weapon being used against a guy with no weapon." Again, look at the GREAT disparity in force (comic book geek vs 300 lb drunken juggernaut; which one would you bet your house on to win?). With that big guy, one could reasonably assume his bare hands could constitute "deadly weapons".

In THIS case, the "aggressor" is actually a man who got friendly with a female officer he THOUGHT was an old friend of his:
A Toronto man was allegedly beaten to death by police in Grenada after hugging a female officer who he mistook for an old family friend.

Oscar Bartholomew was visiting family in the island country for Christmas when brutal beating took place.

According to local media reports, Mr. Bartholomew mistook a police officer for an old family friend and didn’t realize the mistake until after the big man ran over, hugged and lifted the woman off the ground.

Police officers considered it an assault on an officer, Grenada Broadcast reported, and while officers arrested the 39-year-old, they severely beat him.

He succumbed to his injuries in hospital.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-723755

Yes, the person "bear hugging" you from behind may be an old friend, or a young child mistaking you for their parent, or or a curious young child wanting to see the gun they use all the time on CALL OF DUTY, or a lonely, sexual deviant looking for some anxiety "release", or it can be a violent criminal who thinks they have their next victim in their grasp. There is a reason you want to assume the latter until you have the time to determine otherwise: if you are wrong, you catch yourself mid-draw or before using the gun/knife, but you at least had it ready. Apologies can be made in that case. If you are correct, but decided to give the benefit of the doubt, you won't be needing to doubt yourself much longer. Your body will be in a case, and your loved ones seeking an apology. Frankly, I prefer the former option and outcome to the latter, but Your Mileage May Vary.

All I'm getting at is, yeah, us gun owners know better than to walk up to a friend or coworker and playingly tug on their pistol. Not everybody understands the issue, or sees the harm in jokingly grabbing a friend's firearm anymore than walking up behind one of your buds and putting him in a headlock. Would your inner Chuck Norris automatically ram an elbow into their ribs and stab a knife into their thigh, or would you assess the situation first? The OP clearly recognizes one of his coworkers approaching with a group of other coworkers. In his words, the guy tugged at his gun. If you are incapable of quickly assessing a playful tug from a legitimate gun grab attempt, then you are a liability risk. What if some curious child came up from behind and reached for the gun? Do you flip the freak out and whip your knife out and hold it at his neck, or do you take a second to assess the situation first?

Am I somehow responsible for their ignorance and/or lack of maturity and responsibility? You sound just like the crybaby, politically-correct gun-grabbers that blame SOCIETY for the actions of the last scumbag criminal to commit assault, rape, and/or murder, never mind the fact that the victim never asked to be assaulted, raped, and/or murdered. NEWSFLASH: Every action (or lack thereof) has a reaction. I was taught, and learned, from an early age that any stupid actions on my part could result in potentially unfavorable consequences on my behalf. Maybe it's time to remind criminals of the same?

The point is, one more likely than not will be forced to react without the luxury of time to calmly assess the situation, size up the potential threat, and prepare a reasonable defense. Criminals CHOOSE not to give their intended victims time for a reason: it would make the situation more fair, hence more difficult for themselves. Ever watch the Nature channel? The white lions (whose fur color makes them stick out from the more tawny-colored grasses) and clumsy lions that are detected before being within striking distance usually don't get the zebra. A lack of time for the prey is the predator's friend. And the zebra that decides not to prepare to run until they are sure it is a lion attacking? Usually winds up as dinner.

So while you may not need to CARRY OUT your knife slash or BUG trigger pull, it is far better to have it IN HAND (or between you and the assumed assailant) even if the tug was from a curious child than to be empty-handed should the threat turn out to be very real and imminent.

I'm not suggesting that you don't make it clear to the coworker that it's not smart to grab at a firearm, even jokingly, but to whip around and threaten him with a knife is a bit ridiculous. If you're too tightly wound and unable to assess a potential or perceived threat before whipping a knife out, maybe you should consider a less obvious method of carrying.

If you are armed, the stakes are very high. If you would rather delay any attempt at firearm retention until you know for sure you are being attacked, I ask for your safety that you please leave your gun at home, lest it be taken from and used against you for your lack or delay of resistance, then find its way into the black market like all the other illegally procured "loophole" firearms we hear about.

As for the "obvious method of carrying", OC lets everyone around us know what they are dealing with right from the start. No "element of surprise" is needed since we, unlike the criminals, wish for everyone around us to be able to make an informed decision on their choice of actions towards us. OC is our way of telling people:

"I have chosen not to be a victim,
I won't be sent to Hades at your whim,
I WILL protect both myself and kin."

Any action you take there on out is with knowledge of the consequences.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Yes, the old, I can prove you wrong in so many ways, but I don't feel like it so I'm not response. Ahh, the joys of trying to rationalize with mall ninjas and stealthy eliminators... :rolleyes:

Yes, it's a classic. I generally despise it as much as the next guy, but I think in this case it's a safe position. Perhaps I have too much faith in the common sense of the average reader of this board, but, I'll chance it for the sake of my own sanity. I've already locked in my answer so I can't rebut you now :O At the risk of being considered a rebuttal, I will say that it's very very clear in the OPost that the OPoster was the defender, and there's no sufficient evidence to the contrary, and so if you would have shot and killed him, as the initial aggressor, you likely would have and should have been charged with murder, and you would have been guilty. The pistol-tugger initiated a use of force against the OP, and such establishes him as the aggressor in the incident. That the OP "knew" it was "just a joke" is pure speculation, and perhaps entirely irrelevant anyway, and should that be your defense in court after being charged with OP's murder, I should hope for a swift guilty verdict and you off the streets for good.

Thinking about it, sounds like you're probably one of those guys that thinks stand your ground laws should be repealed, too.

Where is your CC-club forum located, that is presumable the breeding ground of this misguided conception of legitimate use of force? Perhaps we need to hit this at the source and try to protect future liberty-seekers from such dangerous ideas.

Last edited:

Medic1210

@Medic1210: I am willing to bet you are either trolling on OCDO and/or a 2nd Amendment hypocrite. Nonetheless, I will attempt to address the faults in your arguments before I hit the hay because of the antis and gun-grabbers that likely frequent these threads looking for, and generating themselves, ammunition (pun intended) to use against armed LACs. Here goes.

Yes, you've got me. I'm a troll. That's what I do. I establish myself as an active member for years on several gun sites, making hundreds of false pro gun posts, just so folks will think I'm legit, just so I can pop up one day and troll the board. Because obviously anybody who disagrees with someone on a gun forum is clearly a troll, or a closet anti-gun hypocrite. :rolleyes: Feel free to check my posts here, on NCGunOwners and XDTalk just to name a few. I use the same user name, so it shouldn't be too hard.

If the weapon must be drawn, it is to be used (my stance, anyway). But in this case we are referring to firearm retention, a which should be a reflex and not conscious movement. Even a level 3 retention holster can be beaten by a determined criminal if you just stand there or put up little resistance. Therefore, we can logically conclude that retention of your firearm will entail clamping down on it to keep it from leaving its holster outside of your control, then addressing the threat. If, AND ONLY IF, you then have time and realize that no threat is present should you let down your guard back to condition yellow. Here are two real-life examples of similar instances, one with an aggressor, and one with a friendly "aggressor".

So are you saying the OP would have been justified in using the knife, or drawing a secondary handgun? Please tell me you are not that black or white in regards to use of force. We're not talking weapons retention, we're talking about a guy claiming he went all Chuck Norris on some guy he knew was a coworker, who he clearly said he reached over and tugged his gun. Are you honestly claiming you don't see the difference between that and a clear case of a gun grab? Am I saying he shouldn't have reacted at all? No. I'm just saying whipping a weak side knife out and pointing it at the guys chest was excessive.

In this case, there is no weapon on the victim, but the victim initially THOUGHT it was a friend instead of an aggressor:
SNIP TO SAVE SPACE
In THIS case, the "aggressor" is actually a man who got friendly with a female officer he THOUGHT was an old friend of his:

Out of all the cases you could have googled and referenced to support your position, those were the best you could come up with? Really? I'm honestly at a loss for words as to how any logical person could feel those two cases are even remotely similar to the issue being debated here. In one, you have a huge, unknown drunk guy randomly attack an unarmed individual, and the other you have a guy get beat to death, by police officers no less, for mistakenly thinking some girl was a friend. And those two cases relate to a known coworker in a group of other coworkers reaching over and jokingly tugging on a holstered firearm how? Because the first case the guy assumed the attacker was a friend at first? Or are you suggesting the coworker should have been beaten to death? Listen, it was clearly late when you posted, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were too tired to see how ridiculous those two examples are in relation to this case. Maybe when you wake up this morning you'll be rested enough to have a logical debate on the subject.

Am I somehow responsible for their ignorance and/or lack of maturity and responsibility? You sound just like the crybaby, politically-correct gun-grabbers that blame SOCIETY for the actions of the last scumbag criminal to commit assault, rape, and/or murder, never mind the fact that the victim never asked to be assaulted, raped, and/or murdered. NEWSFLASH: Every action (or lack thereof) has a reaction. I was taught, and learned, from an early age that any stupid actions on my part could result in potentially unfavorable consequences on my behalf. Maybe it's time to remind criminals of the same?

Again, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were clearly too tired when you posted this. Come back when you wake up and have a nice warm cup of common sense, and we'll talk then.

So while you may not need to CARRY OUT your knife slash or BUG trigger pull, it is far better to have it IN HAND (or between you and the assumed assailant) even if the tug was from a curious child than to be empty-handed should the threat turn out to be very real and imminent.

So you feel it's better to whip out a lethal weapon at the first spidey sense that something is awry? Better to have it in your hand and not use it, and apologize later? Buddy, you are the type of person that gives the rest of us a bad name. I seriously hope you don't carry a weapon, because you are indicating you have very poor judgement. How about you ask a police officer or lawyer how things will go if you whip out your knife or gun the instant you feel even slightly threatened.

If you are armed, the stakes are very high. If you would rather delay any attempt at firearm retention until you know for sure you are being attacked, I ask for your safety that you please leave your gun at home, lest it be taken from and used against you for your lack or delay of resistance, then find its way into the black market like all the other illegally procured "loophole" firearms we hear about.

And if you are armed, and see no issue with whipping out your lethal weapon as soon as you feel slightly threatened, I ask for our safety, and the safety of everyone around you, that you leave your weapon at home, because you are clearly not responsible enough for that burden.

OC is our way of telling people:

"I have chosen not to be a victim,
I won't be sent to Hades at your whim,
I WILL protect both myself and kin."

Any action you take there on out is with knowledge of the consequences.

Wow, that's cute. Is that the mantra you say in the mirror every time you put on your gun? You haven't been carrying very long, have you?

Medic1210

Yes, it's a classic. I generally despise it as much as the next guy, but I think in this case it's a safe position. Perhaps I have too much faith in the common sense of the average reader of this board, but, I'll chance it for the sake of my own sanity. I've already locked in my answer so I can't rebut you now :O At the risk of being considered a rebuttal, I will say that it's very very clear in the OPost that the OPoster was the defender, and there's no sufficient evidence to the contrary, and so if you would have shot and killed him, as the initial aggressor, you likely would have and should have been charged with murder, and you would have been guilty. The pistol-tugger initiated a use of force against the OP, and such establishes him as the aggressor in the incident. That the OP "knew" it was "just a joke" is pure speculation, and perhaps entirely irrelevant anyway, and should that be your defense in court after being charged with OP's murder, I should hope for a swift guilty verdict and you off the streets for good.

Thinking about it, sounds like you're probably one of those guys that thinks stand your ground laws should be repealed, too.

Where is your CC-club forum located, that is presumable the breeding ground of this misguided conception of legitimate use of force? Perhaps we need to hit this at the source and try to protect future liberty-seekers from such dangerous ideas.

There's a whole lot of *yawn* in that response. Either debate the topic or don't. So from reading my responses, you honestly feel my leaning is that if I were the coworker, I would have felt it right to shoot the OP? Or you feel that I must be against stand your ground laws? Really? You make a lot of assumptions.

Let me ask you this. It's a simple yes or no question. Since you feel the OP was well within his right to whip out a knife at the first tug on his gun by a known coworker, do you feel he would have been justified in pulling out a weak side firearm? Yes or no.

Rusty Young Man

Yes, you've got me. I'm a troll. That's what I do. I establish myself as an active member for years on several gun sites, making hundreds of false pro gun posts, just so folks will think I'm legit, just so I can pop up one day and troll the board. Because obviously anybody who disagrees with someone on a gun forum is clearly a troll, or a closet anti-gun hypocrite. :rolleyes: Feel free to check my posts here, on NCGunOwners and XDTalk just to name a few. I use the same user name, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I'll look into your posts, but you wouldn't be the first person to troll OCDO bashing OC in favor of CC and its "element of surprise" and other unsupported tacticool defense benefits. Carry as you find comfortable, but carry responsibly. Also, I said 2nd Amendment hypocrite, as I have yet to see anything on your behalf that would imply you are an anti. You merely appear to be a "my way of carrying is the only true and correct way (a la Yeager and Pincus)" type of person, as well as a "civilians don't need to own or carry around 'assault rifles'" person, often closely associated with either statists or LEOs with the "only ones" mentality.

So are you saying the OP would have been justified in using the knife, or drawing a secondary handgun? Please tell me you are not that black or white in regards to use of force. We're not talking weapons retention, we're talking about a guy claiming he went all Chuck Norris on some guy he knew was a coworker, who he clearly said he reached over and tugged his gun. Are you honestly claiming you don't see the difference between that and a clear case of a gun grab? Am I saying he shouldn't have reacted at all? No. I'm just saying whipping a weak side knife out and pointing it at the guys chest was excessive.

First of all, Chuck Norris wouldn't use a firearm, knife, or other object as he IS a deadly weapon.:D
As for the gun-grab, I said the OP's first reaction should be to clamp down on the firearm (actual RETENTION technique) and follow up with a quick assessment seeing as one can't always tell what a person's intentions are. Especially when reaching for a gun. I'll admit, I failed to clarify that the assessment and weak side reaching for the weak side knife (or second pistol for double-wielding OCers) should be simultaneously carried out. If the threat of a gun-grab is imminent and continues beyond that point, I believe the OCer in the situation would now have adequate knowledge of what intentions the aggressor has with respect to his person.
So your question in regards to whether or not the OP was justified in pulling out a weak side knife out is slanted, seeing as even the OP admitted to stopping once he realized the INTENT of the grab did not amount to a life-death self-defense scenario.

So my questions to YOU are:
Are you asking whether or not it would ever be reasonable to pull a weak side knife/pistol without seeming "excessive"?
If so, under what circumstances?

Out of all the cases you could have googled and referenced to support your position, those were the best you could come up with? Really? I'm honestly at a loss for words as to how any logical person could feel those two cases are even remotely similar to the issue being debated here. In one, you have a huge, unknown drunk guy randomly attack an unarmed individual, and the other you have a guy get beat to death, by police officers no less, for mistakenly thinking some girl was a friend. And those two cases relate to a known coworker in a group of other coworkers reaching over and jokingly tugging on a holstered firearm how? Because the first case the guy assumed the attacker was a friend at first? Or are you suggesting the coworker should have been beaten to death?

As I stated in my previous post, the outcome may have been different if the victim was armed and the 300 lb juggernaut had more sinister intentions. I chose the first example to illustrate that you may not always know the person, and you would expose yourself to more danger if you assume everyone that comes up to you has friendly intentions. I was trying to address your faulty argument that because the OP assumed the aggressor (coworker) to be a "friend", any self-defense reaction was automatically "excessive".
The second example was to address you implied argument that it should be acceptable for a civilian to allow a coworker to pull off such asinine behaviour. Any given firearm is a firearm, whether it is on the OP's hip, my hip, or a LEO's hip. It has the same capability, which may or may not be fully exploited by the user, who decides the goals and motives at his/her own discretion. I know my firearm is no danger to anyone while it is in its holster, so I would like to do everything possible to keep it that way unless I am given no other option.

So you feel it's better to whip out a lethal weapon at the first spidey sense that something is awry? Better to have it in your hand and not use it, and apologize later? Buddy, you are the type of person that gives the rest of us a bad name. I seriously hope you don't carry a weapon, because you are indicating you have very poor judgement. How about you ask a police officer or lawyer how things will go if you whip out your knife or gun the instant you feel even slightly threatened.

And if you are armed, and see no issue with whipping out your lethal weapon as soon as you feel slightly threatened, I ask for our safety, and the safety of everyone around you, that you leave your weapon at home, because you are clearly not responsible enough for that burden.

I don't recall giving the impression that you should always draw when you feel "slightly threatened", but I can see how I failed to elaborate on the "assess WHILE reaching for weak side weapon" part, which MAY include the draw. Clamp down, assess WHILE reaching for weak side weapon, determine appropriate course of action, act. It may take until the secondary is out for you to realize their intentions (for OCers that can pull it out quickly, or when dealing with jaded assailants), or for the aggressor to stop (in which case the situation determines what course of action to follow, with regards to the primary firearm).

Wow, that's cute. Is that the mantra you say in the mirror every time you put on your gun? You haven't been carrying very long, have you?

You thought it was cute? Oh, I'm soooo flattered:rolleyes: It's actually just a little poem summing up my reasons for OCing. The poem came about thanks to all the poetry reading I've had to do for a course. But I have thought about putting it on a shirt to wear while I OC. You know, in case the gun itself wasn't enough of a warning to criminals? Unfortunately, it would likely be taken out of context as "premeditation". Oh well.
And no, I haven't been carrying a pistol for too long, but I decided long ago not to be a victim. And yes, choosing not to arm oneself is choosing to be a victim. I will, however, venture to say it is you who may not yet understand exactly what constitutes the use of force and the use of deadly force, and are the liability.

Last edited:

7om5hipp

Well dang I think I should leave the internet. For years the Army taught me to react when someone attempts to disarm me without my consent and that reaction is to prevent the other person from taking my firearm. So guess what my reaction will be, force. You can say it is stupid, that I should think before I act. Well guess what, they should have thought before they acted as well. All I want to know is this, have you ever had someone tug on your holster before? I have only one time, and the holster was empty but I still reacted and twisted the hand touching it.

My other question, what would you do if someone pulled a knife or weapon on you. Would you pause to see if they really intended to hurt you or would you react.

FBrinson

A few days ago my wife and I were shopping at food lion. She reached to put her arm around me, forgetting that I was carrying I suppose. Her hand hit the butt end of my gun. I turned to see what was up and saw that it was her and smiled at her because I love her. I'm really glad I did not stab her in the neck.

Medic1210

I'll look into your posts, but you wouldn't be the first person to troll OCDO bashing OC in favor of CC and its "element of surprise" and other unsupported tacticool defense benefits. Carry as you find comfortable, but carry responsibly. Also, I said 2nd Amendment hypocrite, as I have yet to see anything on your behalf that would imply you are an anti. You merely appear to be a "my way of carrying is the only true and correct way (a la Yeager and Pincus)" type of person, as well as a "civilians don't need to own or carry around 'assault rifles'" person, often closely associated with either statists or LEOs with the "only ones" mentality.

Not once have I said anything against open carry, element of surprise, or any other comments against OC. I have been a member of this board, an OC dedicated board, going on two years now. I have had my CHP since 1998, and carry daily, anywhere I am legally allowed. I started trying OC when I joined here, and have done that on numerous occasions. For me personally, I prefer to conceal more than OC simply because I prefer to not draw attention to myself. I don't CC for any element of surprise. I still OC occasionally, and am thrilled to see others who OC whenever I'm out and about. As for the "my way is the only way of carrying" comment, well that is nonsense, and I don't really know how you came to that conclusion form this thread which has absolutely nothing to do with OC in general. As for the comment that I appear to be a "civilians shouldn't own 'assault rifles' type person" again, I have no idea where you came to that conclusion. I own a two AR15, an AR10 and an SKS, among other things, but unfortunately no assault rifles.

First of all, Chuck Norris wouldn't use a firearm, knife, or other object as he IS a deadly weapon.:D

I cannot argue that point. Bad analogy on my part.

As for the gun-grab, I said the OP's first reaction should be to clamp down on the firearm (actual RETENTION technique) and follow up with a quick assessment seeing as one can't always tell what a person's intentions are.

Then I'm not real sure why we're even debating, because I never said I felt he shouldn't have protected his firearm. My issue comes with his lack of any further assessment before whipping out a knife and pointing it at the guy's chest. First off, the story sounds a bit too mall ninja for me to take seriously in the first place, especially considering it was exactly three days prior to this thread when he made a thread talking about looking for a weak side knife to fend off a potential gun grab, and now, lo and behold, he has a great story of how he came close to gutting a coworker for playing a joke. Call me skeptical, but I've been on the Internet long enough to know the anonymity of the Internet brings out some serious mall ninjas. I may be wrong, but this story has my BS meter pinging hard. Still, the fact he's telling it tells me he thinks this was an appropriate response, and based on the supportive responses he's received tells me there are a few folks here who also share a similar warped sense of reality.

I know I'm repeating myself, but the fact is, the story he told, the picture he painted, did not warrant breaking kydex with his knife. I would bet a paycheck that had a police officer witnessed his action, he would have been proned out and wearing a pair of shiny bracelets, because he immediately resorted to drawing a lethal weapon in a situation where it was not justified. He clearly said he saw the guy, and knew he was a coworker. The coworker was in a group of other coworkers who all approached the OP in a social, non-threatening manner. He clearly said the guy reached over and tugged his gun. He didn't say the guy ran into him and started forcefully yanking at his firearm, he said he tugged at it. Bad joke? Yeah. Did it warrant a knife to the guy's chest? Hell no. He was wearing a duty style retention holster, so it's not like the guy was going to get the gun out without some serious effort if he had really tried. All that was warranted in this situation, was a hand or elbow on the weapon and a quick turn toward the guy to ask him why he would think putting his hand on the gun was appropriate. Like I said, what if it had been a kid who didn't know any better? What if it was just some guy who wasn't paying attention and happened to bump into the OP's gun side? I can tell you if I accidentally bump into someone, and he immediately spins around with a knife pointed at my chest, it would be a clear case of self defense on my part. You see, there's a big difference in a guy whipping out a knife at the first hint that someone might be grabbing for his gun than there is with having a knife pulled on you. The guy with the knife at my chest is a real, valid lethal threat, and I would have no worries of justifying my reaction to a DA.

Honestly, if I were in the group of coworkers, and I saw this guy flip out like he did, whipping out a knife on another coworker, I would have probably called the police. I sure as heck would question his mental status.

Especially when reaching for a gun. I'll admit, I failed to clarify that the assessment and weak side reaching for the weak side knife (or second pistol for double-wielding OCers) should be simultaneously carried out. If the threat of a gun-grab is imminent and continues beyond that point, I believe the OCer in the situation would now have adequate knowledge of what intentions the aggressor has with respect to his person.

The problem is, when you reflexively or immediately pull a knife or a gun at the first sense that someone may be grabbing your gun, you have escalated the situation. It doesn't matter if you don't cut or shoot, pulling the weapon when lethal force is not justified is against the law in most, if not all states. No different than if some guy came up behind him and tapped his shoulder, and he spun around with a knife on his hand because he felt he might be getting attacked.

So your question in regards to whether or not the OP was justified in pulling out a weak side knife out is slanted, seeing as even the OP admitted to stopping once he realized the INTENT of the grab did not amount to a life-death self-defense scenario.

I refer you back to my comment regarding the picture the OP painted, which was not one of a legitimate gun grab attempt. Any rational, responsible gun carrier would have assessed the situation prior to escalating the situation by pulling a knife, not after pulling a knife.

So my questions to YOU are:
Are you asking whether or not it would ever be reasonable to pull a weak side knife/pistol without seeming "excessive"?
If so, under what circumstances?

I'm pretty sure I've covered this above.

As I stated in my previous post, the outcome may have been different if the victim was armed and the 300 lb juggernaut had more sinister intentions. I chose the first example to illustrate that you may not always know the person, and you would expose yourself to more danger if you assume everyone that comes up to you has friendly intentions. I was trying to address your faulty argument that because the OP assumed the aggressor (coworker) to be a "friend", any self-defense reaction was automatically "excessive".

But the problem with your example is it is not even remotely similar. The guy in the costume probably doesn't walk around all the time in condition orange or whatever. He was having fun with friends, so why wouldn't his initial though be that the guy that just grabbed him was probably a friend? Most people who find themselves under attack go through an initial reaction of denial or "surely this isn't really happening" so I can fully understand the guy's comment that he thought it was one of his friends until he hit him. Again, this is nothing like the OP's case where he clearly knew the guy, and based on the story told, should have clearly known the tugging wasn't a legitimate gun grab.

The second example was to address you implied argument that it should be acceptable for a civilian to allow a coworker to pull off such asinine behaviour. Any given firearm is a firearm, whether it is on the OP's hip, my hip, or a LEO's hip. It has the same capability, which may or may not be fully exploited by the user, who decides the goals and motives at his/her own discretion. I know my firearm is no danger to anyone while it is in its holster, so I would like to do everything possible to keep it that way unless I am given no other option.

Again, I feel you could have picked a much better example to make your point. Surely you don't feel the guy's actions were deserving of being beaten to death, do you? The only way this case related to the OP was in that the officers clearly did not take time to assess what was going on, and instead resorted to lethal force, which seems to be more a case of street justice for a perceived wrong towards one of their fellow officers. I sincerely hope those police officers' vigilante justice was punished, but considering where it took place, it probably was treated as justified. I can almost hear them as they beat the guy, probably yelling "stop resisting!" like so many officers like to do when using excessive force.

I will, however, venture to say it is you who may not yet understand exactly what constitutes the use of force and the use of deadly force, and are the liability.

You see, this is where you sound like you're just not getting it. I have been extremely clear that my problem with this story was the OP's immediate response to the situation by pulling a knife (aka lethal weapon) at a guy he knew to be a coworker for tugging at his gun. To even remotely suggest my understanding of what constitutes use of deadly force is lacking, because I feel the OP was wrong for drawing his knife makes it look like you don't see what was wrong with his response. Oddly enough, you actually seemed to indicate above that you didn't suggest immediately drawing, so it's a bit difficult to really determine your stance. So which is it? Are you seriously questioning my understanding of use of force because of my assertion that the OP was excessive and premature in his response? If that is the case, then I would recommend you read the law in your state regarding the use of deadly force before you get yourself in trouble. The fact is, in the eyes of the law, the OP pulling his knife would have been treated the same as if he had pulled a gun and pointed it at the coworker's chest. Had a police officer witnessed it, I truly believe he would have found himself staring down the business end of the officer's gun. If anyone here doesn't see the problem with that, I seriously hope you get some additional training.

Now, after typing all of that on my ipad, I will say that unless there is a response that I haven't already clearly covered above, I will simply scroll on down, slowly shaking my head in disbelief.

Last edited:

Medic1210

A few days ago my wife and I were shopping at food lion. She reached to put her arm around me, forgetting that I was carrying I suppose. Her hand hit the butt end of my gun. I turned to see what was up and saw that it was her and smiled at her because I love her. I'm really glad I did not stab her in the neck.

You mean you actually used some common sense and restraint, and actually assessed the situation before spinning around with a knife? You are apparently highly undertrained, unlike some of the mall ninjas in this thread... :cool::p

Medic1210

Well dang I think I should leave the internet. For years the Army taught me to react when someone attempts to disarm me without my consent and that reaction is to prevent the other person from taking my firearm. So guess what my reaction will be, force. You can say it is stupid, that I should think before I act. Well guess what, they should have thought before they acted as well. All I want to know is this, have you ever had someone tug on your holster before? I have only one time, and the holster was empty but I still reacted and twisted the hand touching it.

My other question, what would you do if someone pulled a knife or weapon on you. Would you pause to see if they really intended to hurt you or would you react.

Already covered above. Scrolling on, with head shaking in disbelief that you apparently don't seem to grasp the difference with the OP's story versus a clear threat of being cut or shot. :rolleyes:

Please, don't leave the Internet. You can't actually hurt or kill an innocent person for playing a joke on the Internet.:uhoh:

Last edited:

Samopal

Haven't had that happen to me, thankfully, but I don't think I would be as friendly about it. That's a really, really stupid thing to do.

independence

Once I had an elderly neighbor tap his index finger on my OCed pistol saying, "I see you got your pistol there". I thought it was extremely tacky, but it was also clear to me that he was not attempting to disarm me. Not saying this situation was the same as yours, just relating my story.

Medic1210

Once I had an elderly neighbor tap his index finger on my OCed pistol saying, "I see you got your pistol there". I thought it was extremely tacky, but it was also clear to me that he was not attempting to disarm me. Not saying this situation was the same as yours, just relating my story.

Kudos to you for not gutting the guy with your weak side knife.:cool: