• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lying cop ... another libertarian like me ...

77zach

Thank you for weighing in, my honored disputant.

I think that there are at least five assertions there that you are categorically denying.
  1. Libertarians lie that they are not progressive.
  2. Democrats, demotic, are progressive.
  3. Republicans, repugnant, are progressive.
  4. Progressivism believes that men are good to god-like and need no law.
  5. Alistair Crowley's Thelemic Law is: Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Anarchist's of any stripe, referring to "anarcho-capitalists", are progressives. The words very roots tell us ἀναρχία, anarchia, from ἀν an, "not, without" + ἀρχός arkhos, "ruler", meaning "absence of a leader", "without rulers"

ETA: Wasn't Gavrilo Princip some sort of anarchist? Yes, looking to the vaunted Wikipedia, he was a member of the Young Bosnians that had anarchist leanings. The citation is there.

But I've had a couple of cranberry tonics (equal parts gin, pure cranberry squeezings, tonic water, on crushed ice) ant this is awfully heavy thinking directed primarily at the unlettered - archly (id est look it up) which excepts you.

I believe that unjustified force and fraud should be punished. I call myself a libertarian. If that's progressive then sign me up!

ScottFree

Good God.

As my mom used to say "you'd argue with a dead bug".

Can't you guys just comment on the video without making it a freaking political debate?

I enjoyed the video, nuff said

fjpro2a

Idea!!!!

I am a lifelong devotee of the Mugwump party. Seriously though, I agree with ScottFree - comments about the video are what's important. "Nightmare" initially overreacted, but no need to drag it on. Let's get back on track. As I always say, we should be more concerned with laws, rulings,and regulations that hurt our cause. There are far too many.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Perhaps "anarcho-capitalism" is poorly named...

And, for those who would make an accusation out of anarchist, lets not overlook who the real anarchists are that best fit the chaotic connotation: current US government.

Congress is just short of utter lawlessness in their disregard for the constitution.

The chief executive some years ago brought chaos to two nations by invading them. The current chief executive has been drone striking for years; the tally of dead is something like 4K. And, most recently, has been slavering to bomb a country because somebody used chemical weapons on civilians.

Bankers, in control of the economy by increasing degrees since 1913 have driven America onto economic rocks, putting millions out of work.

If one wants to use the chaotic meaning of anarchy, tell me again who the anarchists are.

Gunslinger

Interesting, would be better if the video wasn't on its side. I don't know what the guy was "demonstrating," or if he was in fact on his own property. The cops responded to a call from some whiney clown who knows guns are evil. They were doing their job. The Sgt seemed reasonable, in general. I can't tell where the muzzle was pointed, so can't comment on that either before or after the cops arrived. A case can be made for taking the rifle--but NOT the flag. The guy wanted trouble and he got it, but with an outcome in line with the situation, i.e., he committed no crime and the gun was returned. But then, I am know as an apologist for the cops...

ramkatral

I had a cop bend over to pick up something at a wreck we were working the other day. His muzzle was pointed center mass at me. Perhaps his weapon should be confiscated.

Tucker6900

No I wouldn't!

Me: Uh-uh!!
Bug: ....
Me: No way!
Bug: ....

Seriously though. This TIB (brown in this case) was not just "doing his job". He is yet another victim of the dreaded term "I believe in the second amendment, but..." Just another version of most other TIB. Lets make a show of force, scare the pants off this guy, convince him that he has indeed committed a crime, arrest him, take his gun, and ruin his life. Sounds about standard to me.

I believe the OP acted accordingly for the situation at hand. Its about time we see someone know their place and put the costume wearing puppets in theirs.