• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbee questions

RetNavy

Okay, new to the forum here so bear with me.

I've got a CC permit, but with the warm weather, find it hard to carry concealed. I mostly carry in Clinton, Warsaw, Sedalia area. I know that each jurisdiction may have different rules, but though I'd ask a few general questions.

First, is their a requirment on holsters? Meaning do they have to have snaps or straps? My CC holster is a small of the back IWB with no closures.

Second, loaded or unloaded? Now before you get all bent about that question, yeah I know an unloaded gun is nothing more than a paperweight. But I've hard of some areas where carry is required to be unloaded. Just curious if there are any brain dead areas here in MO like that.

Finaly, are there any gotchas I need to know about as a CC holder open carrying?

Thanks for understanding.

MikeyMac

Okay, new to the forum here so bear with me.

I've got a CC permit, but with the warm weather, find it hard to carry concealed. I mostly carry in Clinton, Warsaw, Sedalia area. I know that each jurisdiction may have different rules, but though I'd ask a few general questions.

First, is their a requirment on holsters? Meaning do they have to have snaps or straps? My CC holster is a small of the back IWB with no closures.

Second, loaded or unloaded? Now before you get all bent about that question, yeah I know an unloaded gun is nothing more than a paperweight. But I've hard of some areas where carry is required to be unloaded. Just curious if there are any brain dead areas here in MO like that.

Finaly, are there any gotchas I need to know about as a CC holder open carrying?

Thanks for understanding.

First welcome to the forums and to OC, here is a page that you can look at that tells Missouri stand on open carry, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=263, but you need to check with the locals about if it is legal because as you already stated each place can regulate it themselves. As far as a holster goes I like to have one with a strap and thumb break , just personal preference though. I dont know of anywere in Missouri that you are NOT allowed to carry loaded. I have not been on the forums that long myself but some of them others on here could probably shed a little more light on that subject.

Last edited:

logunowner

First welcome to the forums and to OC, here is a page that you can look at that tells Missouri stand on open carry, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=263, but you need to check with the locals about if it is legal because as you already stated each place can regulate it themselves. As far as a holster goes I like to have one with a strap and thumb break , just personal preference though. I dont know of anywere in Missouri that you are allowed to carry loaded. I have not been on the forums that long myself but some of them others on here could probably shed a little more light on that subject.

I open carry every where I go and I carry my 1911 cock and locked with a round in the chamber. I know of no law that says I can't open carry that way. I have opened carried in Sedalia many times and have called and talked to the police department about it. They are fully aware of our Constitution right to open carry.

7om5hipp

Carry loaded as well here, as for holsters I have two different types. One is a simple black-hawk with a snap and also one that does not have a snap, just all depends on what I feel like wearing at the time. I honestly have not heard of any place requiring the gun to be unloaded, but I only go to a few towns so I can't really be 100% on everywhere.

BigBoreBoy

I like the Blackhawk Serpas. I have one for each gun that I like to OC, plus my trainers, and one for my car too. Whatever works for you is the way to go as long as it's secure. Then just train, train, train, until you can do it without thinking about it.

Last edited:

ramkatral

Holster really is personal preference. I have a Kydex press and materials and always just make my own. That way it's personal. Otherwise I always buy safariland.

JEStucker

Always carry loaded... otherwise you're just toting a glorified paperweight around.

Good holsters make all the difference in the world, I've got a Kholster that I use for IWB (Inside Waist Band) carry, it's one of the most comfortable I've found, being leather and Kydex, and it's made here in Missouri to boot. Outside the waistband is a matter of whatever you like. The key is to be able to practice drawing from however you chose to carry so that in an emergency it's pure reflex.

stevebowhunts

round in the chamber

Welcome to the forum. Wear whatever holster you're comfortable with and draw smoothly. No restrictions. Always have a round in the chamber. This is Missouri...not the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. If you ever get to Springfield it is REAL open carry friendly. Nobody even looks at you funny.

MikeyMac

First welcome to the forums and to OC, here is a page that you can look at that tells Missouri stand on open carry, http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=263, but you need to check with the locals about if it is legal because as you already stated each place can regulate it themselves. As far as a holster goes I like to have one with a strap and thumb break , just personal preference though. I dont know of anywere in Missouri that you are NOT allowed to carry loaded. I have not been on the forums that long myself but some of them others on here could probably shed a little more light on that subject.

I just reread what I had wrote, and noticed that I had left a word out I meant "I dont know of anywere in Missouri that you are NOT allowed to carry loaded." I forgot the word not in the original post sorry about that.

RetNavy

Thanks folks. I appreciate the answers. And Mikey, you had me going there for a while!

Last edited:

Ironhorse

Since we're on newbe stuff, does open carry mean I must tuck in my shirts and since winter is fast approaching, the wearing of a coat will of course cover any pistol strapped to my side? Must the weapon be openly visible at all times and situations? If this is the case it will be a pain in the buttocks!

Rusty Young Man

Since we're on newbe stuff, does open carry mean I must tuck in my shirts and since winter is fast approaching, the wearing of a coat will of course cover any pistol strapped to my side? Must the weapon be openly visible at all times and situations? If this is the case it will be a pain in the buttocks!

Look up local laws/ordinances for their definition of "concealed". Some states consider a firearm concealed if the pistol grip is covered, others say concealed doesn't occur as long as the pistol or part of the holster is visible. YMMV. And you could do worse than printing out a copy of applicable laws to carry around with you.
Also, you should consider investing in a video/audio or audio recorder (antis and hoplophobes have been known to weave tales that make politicians look like Honest Abe in comparison).

And am I the only one that finds it funny that nearly every response to this Newbee thread til now is from newbies to OCDO (myself included)? :) Who says the RKBA is being forgotten?

@RetNavy: I don't know what you carry, but my 1911 naps in a cozy little leather holster on my hip. The holster is a concealable holster made by Galco, but it's still great OWB. So, leather. Just throwing it out there. Leather looks really nice.
Psssss.... leather:D

mspgunner

I don't know if there is a "statute" definintion, but open means open and concealed means concealed.
In the winter, unless you wear it outside of the your shirts(s), coat... it is not open. I am not a lawyer, but if it is not visible at all times I would say it is not open carry, there fore it is concealed.
Someone else care to join in?