Thread: Can i be given a pistol as gift if I am under 21

Can i be given a pistol as gift if I am under 21

Ive been looking around at a few different guns that would fit me as well as my wife. however, I am not able to purchase one being 19. can i have my dad or friend buy me one? Or am I exempt from this being military?

Federal law says you have to be 18 to poses a handgun, in Missouri I worked in a gun shop and sold several handguns to a father who then gifted his <21 year old child. It depends on what OK law says as the minimum age to poses.

Also as per ATF seminar I went to; it matters not who pays for the firearm, they just want the ultimate possessor to fill out the 4473 and it is not a straw purchase (as long as the person filling out the 4473 is over 21).
    Last edited by F350; 09-15-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Oklahoma requires a permit to OC or CC, I believe.

Minimum age to acquire a permit is 21
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

You can buy any handgun you want as long as you don't buy it from a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by bran159 View Post
    Ive been looking around at a few different guns that would fit me as well as my wife. however, I am not able to purchase one being 19. can i have my dad or friend buy me one? Or am I exempt from this being military?
    Federal law only stipulates that you have to be over 21 to purchase a handgun from a Federally licensed dealer. You can purchase a handgun in Oklahoma from a private individual at the age of 18. You may also be gifted a handgun at the age of 18.

As was mentioned above, Oklahoma requires you to be 21 to obtain a carry permit so you would not be legally allowed to carry the loaded firearm around with you. You would still be able to possess it in your home for self defense.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be accepted as legal advice