• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can i be given a pistol as gift if I am under 21

bran159

Ive been looking around at a few different guns that would fit me as well as my wife. however, I am not able to purchase one being 19. can i have my dad or friend buy me one? Or am I exempt from this being military?

F350

Federal law says you have to be 18 to poses a handgun, in Missouri I worked in a gun shop and sold several handguns to a father who then gifted his <21 year old child. It depends on what OK law says as the minimum age to poses.

Also as per ATF seminar I went to; it matters not who pays for the firearm, they just want the ultimate possessor to fill out the 4473 and it is not a straw purchase (as long as the person filling out the 4473 is over 21).

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Oklahoma requires a permit to OC or CC, I believe.

Minimum age to acquire a permit is 21 :(

hrdware

Ive been looking around at a few different guns that would fit me as well as my wife. however, I am not able to purchase one being 19. can i have my dad or friend buy me one? Or am I exempt from this being military?

Federal law only stipulates that you have to be over 21 to purchase a handgun from a Federally licensed dealer. You can purchase a handgun in Oklahoma from a private individual at the age of 18. You may also be gifted a handgun at the age of 18.

As was mentioned above, Oklahoma requires you to be 21 to obtain a carry permit so you would not be legally allowed to carry the loaded firearm around with you. You would still be able to possess it in your home for self defense.