• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shots Fired at Navy Yard in DC

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Ummm. Link? Story quote?

All over the nooz sources.

Prayers to the victims - currently reporting 12 shot, 4 of them dead. One of the victims is reported to be a contract (civillian) police officer - he would have been armed.

One news source was Navy staff relaying commentary from a Naval officer hunkered down under his desk while chattiering on his phone to the folks who were outside the Navy Yard. (Think he has that "hide" part not quite down pat.

So how's that gun free zone working for ya?

Breaking news (10:20 AM) they are reporting the shooter has been captured. Nooz is stressing "captured" and not "taken down" or "shot".

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Six (6) DC schools on lockdown, including one that has nobody assigned to be there.

Reports on shooters vary from 1 to 2, but are consistent that 1 has been captured, not killed. UPDATE - police are reporting it is still an active shooter situation with a second shooter known but not located.

DC Metro buses are evacuating shipyard workers who are not wounded. Are they checking IDs before letting them out/off the bus? Or have I been reading too many novels? UPDATE - now reports are the buses are "heavily armed". Maybe they have been reading the samr novels?

It's technically a NIS case, but every law enforcement agency within 7 counties, plus every federal agency except the Dept. of Education SWAT team seems to be either on-scene or staged nearby.

First victim is reported to have been a contract civillian police officer - who would have been armed. He is reported to have been in the hallway of an upper floor of one of the buildings.

stay safe.

Esanders2008

Now I wonder how long it will be before Obama decides to say "If I had a security officer, he would look like (insert name of officer)." :(

Last edited:

Red Dawg

I'm kind of stunned by the inane attempts at sarcasm/humor both on this site and on Facebook...

Ten people have been shot. Four people confirmed dead. Can we please take a beat and wait for a while before trying to be "funny?"

Agree, but, however, why not wiat for some confirmation on your so called stats...I trust ch 4 about as much as TMZ..

Esanders2008

I'm kind of stunned by the inane attempts at sarcasm/humor both on this site and on Facebook...

Ten people have been shot. Four people confirmed dead. Can we please take a beat and wait for a while before trying to be "funny?"
If you find my comment distasteful, I sincerely apologize. The reality of the situation is that we KNOW that there is going to be political involvement, that really has nothing to do with the situation at hand. For the record, my thoughts go out to those involved.

Agree, but, however, why not wiat for some confirmation on your so called stats...I trust ch 4 about as much as TMZ..
+1

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A shooter was "contained" but not yet in custody, according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.A shooter was "contained" but not yet in custody, according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/l...cle_c0115352-1ed0-11e3-95e2-001a4bcf6878.html

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
JamesCanby - Sorry if you are confusing sarcasm driven by anger and frustration for humor.

The actions of this/these shooters is beyond deplorable. The deaths of 4 and wounding of however many it turns out to be is tragic.

But the reports are pretty clear - employees with base stickers are pretty much waved in because stopping them to search them would require employees to show up at least two days before work, and only visitors are subjected to search. And since the shooter(s?)'s firearms were not discovered during an entrance search it appears they had a base sticker. And the event just goes to prove that all those folks were left defenseless. And that brings about anger and frustration.

stay safe.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The reality of the situation is that we KNOW that there is going to be political involvement, that really has nothing to do with the situation at hand.

Do we know that? There wasn't any political backlash over Fort Hood, probably because the anti-gunners don't know how to fit these events into their narrative. It just doesn't fit the mold.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do we know that? There wasn't any political backlash over Fort Hood, probably because the anti-gunners don't know how to fit these events into their narrative. It just doesn't fit the mold.

Oh, sweet and fluffy baby Zenu! No political backlash over Nasan having preached jihad for months before going off reservation? No political backlash over the shooting victims not being able to qualify for award of the Purple Heart in spite of Nasan declaring his actions were in support of the Taliban? No political backlash over Nasan having been in 'conversations" with at least two Taliban before going off reservation?

Or are you just saying that the anti-rights folks could not fit Ft. Hood into their gunz are evill rhetoric? That's not political backlash, it's propoganda.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
DC Metro police is the lead agency? They were the first responders to the 9-1-1 call?

Among all the other confusion, this just boggles the mind. I have seen federal law enforcement get into almost fisticuffs to protect their turf from encroachment by any other law enforcement agency. (FYI, from the curb along the southern edge of Constitution Ave near the Vitenam Memorial to the first sidewalk there are five (5) agencies that have jurisdiction over sometimes mere inches wide territory. And DC Metro Police have no jurisdiction beyond the beginning of the curb.)

stay safe.)