• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fain Park - Prescott Valley

Gun Daddy PV

Just spoke with the police to make sure I wouldn't get in trouble carrying a firearm into the park. Here's what they said:

• Carrying firearms into the park is legal.
  • Open carrying firearms into the park is legal.
  • Since families go there, and not all are friendly toward firearms, the police must respond to any requests for assistance.
  • If they have to respond, they will show up and will have to speak with you.
  • Then they have to speak with the person who called, if they're still there.
  • It's a big hassle.
  • Therefore they prefer if you carry concealed. But if your weapon is spotted, they will have to come out anyway.
  • No - you don't need a CCW to carry concealed in the park, but having a CCW is always a good idea - if for nothing else, the ability to carry other places which do require a CCW.

Now that I know, I feel very comfortable carrying there. I know that contacting the police may make some members cringe - but I'd rather be flagged on some list rather than have my firearm taken, be fined, jailed, etc. And, now that you know, you don't have to personally call.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Me: Can I go shopping at Walmart today at 3pm?
Police: Sure, but let us check. We'll get back to you tomorrow.
Me: But I want to go today.
Police: Sorry these types of requests take time to research.
Face Palm
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/facepalm-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif
Welcome to OCDO, but really do some more research. Calling the PD for info on legality is really a bad idea. Especially for you guys in AZ who can carry anyway you want without a permission slip.

acmariner99

I lived in Prescott/Prescott Valley for a few years - I carried everywhere and I didn't ask for permission. Prescott/Prescott Valley are a couple of the most gun friendly towns I have been in. More gun shops than coffee shops, I swear.

Don't ask, just carry. (And make sure to carry concealed at restaurants that serve alcohol and all that jazz)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...[*]Since families go there, and not all are friendly toward firearms, the police must respond to any requests for assistance.

[*]If they have to respond, they will show up and will have to speak with you.

[*]Then they have to speak with the person who called, if they're still there.

[*]It's a big hassle...

If everyone OC'd who wanted to, it would stop being a hassle really quickly.

Just do it.

And while the officer's might feel like the have to speak with you, you do NOT have to speak to them.

Police must respond? Actually, they don't. And if they do (they like to make their presence known as it is good for budgets), their response should be to the caller on the order of: "Yeah? And what's he doing with it?"

AZ is pretty OC friendly. And even the ex-CA areas aren't too bad, and actually NEED to be reminded of where they are.

Last edited:

Gun Daddy PV

Sorry. Still getting used to the idea of walking around with my G30 on my hip. Been carrying concealed for a long time. I know that if people got used to seeing guns everywhere, and nobody getting shot that it would become common-place, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

Anyone else ever felt like me? I just made a new, pretty leather holster for my gun and would like to show it off.

I'll start a new thread with that question. I think that would be helpful.

eye95

NEVER ask the cops what the law is. Some don't know. Some know and lie. They have no responsibility to tell you correctly. Read the law for yourself. If you ask in your State sub-forum, folks there will be happy to help you find the answers.

The police do not have to respond. They have a policy to respond. (I don't have a problem with that.) The police do not have to contact you. They have a policy to contact you. (I have a problem with that.)

If the police do choose to contact you, it must be a consensual encounter unless they have RAS that you are committing, have committed, or are about to commit a crime.

The first thing out of your mouth if you are stopped simply for OC? "Am I free to go?" If they say yes, break off the contact. If they say no, you are detained (seized), not necessarily lawfully, but that has to be determined later in court. Follow your State laws for behavior during a lawful detention (even if it turns out later not to be lawful; you have no way of knowing at the time). If he does not answer (a very likely reaction), slowly start to move away. If he lets you go, the answer was yes. If he stops you, the answer was no. Proceed as above.

Carry a running recorder whenever you OC. Make sure non-verbals get on to the tape by verbalizing them. e.g., if he grabs your arm as you turn to leave, say loudly, "Ow, that hurts. Why did you just grab my arm?"

And, as MAC indicated, the reason the police respond is because folks are no longer used to seeing guns (which is why they invented licensed CC IMO). So get them used to seeing them. OC all to hell and gone!

coorsleftfield

In AZ we don't need permission to ccw so just do that and avoid all of the hassle, unless your looking for an encounter. Personally I'm not looking for encounters with police, it's a waste of my time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

FreeInAZ

In AZ we don't need permission to ccw so just do that and avoid all of the hassle, unless your looking for an encounter. Personally I'm not looking for encounters with police, it's a waste of my time.

There's some good advice on a open carry forum - conceal. :confused: NOT! Just carry open and do so as you do any other legal activity. You don't worry if someone will call the police if you wear a. Justin Bieber T- shirt do you? I find that offensive, yet it is legal, too. ;)

Go the park as you would any other time. Take your family or friends, a picnic basket, and a full understanding of your rights and the law. AZ has firearm preemption (and knife) too. So any local PD can go pound sand if they think they're going to be able to enforce some old out dated city law. See the Arizona sub-forum here on OCDO for some useful links to AZ gun laws.

Remember - if everyone HIDES their firearms, it makes it that much easier to take away the RKBA. Why? If people never see law-abiding citizens carrying firearms safely, it just makes it easier for them to buy into the anti bunk of citizens don't need guns! How many people other than police do you see carrying guns? See the public must not need them. Ergo let's BAN THEM ALL!

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
In AZ we don't need permission to ccw so just do that and avoid all of the hassle, unless your looking for an encounter....

Open carry is looking for an encounter? Why do the statistics of encounters prove otherwise?

Is that why cops open carry?

FreeInAZ

Open carry is looking for an encounter? Why do the statistics of encounters prove otherwise?

Is that why cops open carry?

Funny the table full of Maricopa County Sheriff's I sat across from a while back for lunch could of cared less about my open carry. Guess I'm just the lucky one off....:p Lucky I didn't end up at tent city for obeying the law. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

coorsleftfield

Remember - if everyone HIDES their firearms, it makes it that much easier to take away the RKBA. Why? If people never see law-abiding citizens carrying firearms safely, it just makes it easier for them to buy into the anti bunk of citizens don't need guns! How many people other than police do you see carrying guns? See the public must not need them. Ergo let's BAN THEM ALL!

I agree with you but sometimes I don't want to be an activist I just want to go about my business and not have any Leo contact me. The odds of an Leo contacting you are higher for OC than CC. Some days I don't want to deal with it and I'm glad I live in AZ where I can CC and not have to.

Same thing when I drive through border patrol checkpoints, sometimes I'll answer their questions, other times I'm in no hurry and I'll assert the 5th.