• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry experience

Glocklover20

Hi, I am new to this and I hope I am not messing anything up or breaking the rules, I attempted to read them but it seem most were removed. A little background I am a 20 year old male living in Jackson County, MS. I would like to know if anyone in my general area has O C and if so where di you open carry and how were you taken in by business's and overall encounters with people in your day. I want to know before I start carrying so that i can give my money to business's that support my right as an AMERICAN! Also if you haven't please check out friendorfoe.us

I also often travel to Harrison County

Last edited:

Glocklover20

Open carry

Since apparently not a single person has open carried I thought that I would share my experience today while I was out OC. I carried all day, I started off the day taking my dog to the vet, everything was fine, then proceeded to the pharmacy where my mother owns, then to the dollar store, Walmart, GameStop which was the only place anything was said by the manager. He respectfully and professionally asked me not to carry despite the lack of a sign and informed me that it was not the stores policy but his and his reason was understandable, it was that small kids often are in the store. In my mind he should have put up a sign or kept quit but at least he was not a dick about it. I also traveled to lowes and the bank which I had to remove my gun but left on my holster I also encounter 3 cops and not one confronted me I was very pleased with them and with everyone I encountered today.

georg jetson

Since apparently not a single person has open carried I thought that I would share my experience today while I was out OC. I carried all day, I started off the day taking my dog to the vet, everything was fine, then proceeded to the pharmacy where my mother owns, then to the dollar store, Walmart, GameStop which was the only place anything was said by the manager. He respectfully and professionally asked me not to carry despite the lack of a sign and informed me that it was not the stores policy but his and his reason was understandable, it was that small kids often are in the store. In my mind he should have put up a sign or kept quit but at least he was not a dick about it. I also traveled to lowes and the bank which I had to remove my gun but left on my holster I also encounter 3 cops and not one confronted me I was very pleased with them and with everyone I encountered today.

Why did you have to remove your sidearm at lowes and the bank?

Daylen

I haven't been south in a while; however, Hancock and Harrison counties have been fair enough on OC in the past. MS, in general, doesn't like it when people OC. The disdain for OC is not a liberal or hoplophobic reaction, simply a matter of taboo.

Glocklover20

I haven't been south in a while; however, Hancock and Harrison counties have been fair enough on OC in the past. MS, in general, doesn't like it when people OC. The disdain for OC is not a liberal or hoplophobic reaction, simply a matter of taboo.

I think it's more a matter of ignorance within our community's, it's my opinion that criminals hide there guns, mostly not in holsters and only show when there ready to strike while people who open carry want people to be aware and alert that they are there and law abiding, nothing against CC it is more appropriate t times to conceal it

Glocklover20

Friday, I OCed to the Hyundai dealer, liquor store, and Kroger. No one batted an eye.

So far the only place ive had any issues with is the bank. Today i wen to make a deposit and noticed they had removed all "no gun" signs and i asked the teller respectfully but half joking if we could carry in the bank simce they had removed the signs. She very rudly dared me to try and carry in the bank and also told me it was aginst the law to carry in a bank. Im not one to argue without looking up the information to see if im right first so i just left and filled a complaint. Sorry for any errors thanks to apples IOS 7 my ipa is acting up.

georg jetson

So far the only place ive had any issues with is the bank. Today i wen to make a deposit and noticed they had removed all "no gun" signs and i asked the teller respectfully but half joking if we could carry in the bank simce they had removed the signs. She very rudly dared me to try and carry in the bank and also told me it was aginst the law to carry in a bank. Im not one to argue without looking up the information to see if im right first so i just left and filled a complaint. Sorry for any errors thanks to apples IOS 7 my ipa is acting up.

If I may make a suggestion: Carry quietly. There's no reason to engage the teller in any discussion regarding firearms. They don't set policy and they probably don't know the law. Why would you file a complaint? There's nothing to complain about. It' not illegal to carry in a bank in Ms. and you weren't told to leave because you were carrying.

Eeyore

Kroger and my post-dinner perambulation around the neighborhood. No issues.

So far the only place ive had any issues with is the bank. Today i wen to make a deposit and noticed they had removed all "no gun" signs and i asked the teller respectfully but half joking if we could carry in the bank simce they had removed the signs. She very rudly dared me to try and carry in the bank and also told me it was aginst the law to carry in a bank.

This is one of those things that "everybody knows" but just isn't true. There is no federal or Mississippi law against carry (open or concealed) in a bank. Your municipality *might* have a local ordinance forbidding it (Columbus does). If so, that ordinance violates state law--see §45-9-51 and §45-9-53 (1)f.

But I agree with Georg, don't ask permission.

Glocklover20

If I may make a suggestion: Carry quietly. There's no reason to engage the teller in any discussion regarding firearms. They don't set policy and they probably don't know the law. Why would you file a complaint? There's nothing to complain about. It' not illegal to carry in a bank in Ms. and you weren't told to leave because you were carrying.

I filled a complaint because she was the manager of the bank and was very rude. A simple no from here would have answered my question and I would have been on my way. Also there was a reason to engage the teller ( manager ), I like to clarify the banks rules before I go in to avoid any conflict with there security guard or local law enforcement.

georg jetson

I filled a complaint because she was the manager of the bank and was very rude. A simple no from here would have answered my question and I would have been on my way. Also there was a reason to engage the teller ( manager ), I like to clarify the banks rules before I go in to avoid any conflict with there security guard or local law enforcement.

Ok. You didn't say she was the manager. No matter, it's never a good idea to bring up the issue of firearms in cases like that. If they removed the signs then take that for what it is. If you're concerned about the law then do your research and read your local laws or have an attorney do it for you.

May I ask which bank and which county?

Glocklover20

Ok. You didn't say she was the manager. No matter, it's never a good idea to bring up the issue of firearms in cases like that. If they removed the signs then take that for what it is. If you're concerned about the law then do your research and read your local laws or have an attorney do it for you.

May I ask which bank and which county?

Sure, it was Navigator in Jackson County

MSRebel54

A short little story here. A while back when I went to the class for my IC sticker, I looked around and in the crowd taking the class was my bank vice president. When I got the chance, I asked him if the bank was going to put up one of those 'no guns' signs. He smiled and said no, and then added, "If someone tries to rob the bank, he may find that he is not the only one in the bank with a gun."

I left it at that, but told him I thought it was good that no signs are going up. - That kinda made my day.

sraacke

Wait...Wait. Back up. GameStop. His reason was understandable because why? Small kids? What in the name of little green frogs does small kids being in his store have to do with your right to carry there?

Glocklover20

Wait...Wait. Back up. GameStop. His reason was understandable because why? Small kids? What in the name of little green frogs does small kids being in his store have to do with your right to carry there?
His reason is understandable, I dont agree with him but its a much better reason than most. Alot of people like to just say no because they are scary or because they think only criminals have them.

4angrybadgers

His reason is understandable, I dont agree with him but its a much better reason than most. Alot of people like to just say no because they are scary or because they think only criminals have them.

How is "there are children here" an "understandable" reason? It's just another variation on the "scary" reason that you imply is not understandable...

Glocklover20

Update on GameStop

I know most of you probably don't shop at GameStop but I do, love me some madden. I posted earlier and talked about being asked to not carry in GameStop. Since then I wrote a letter to their corporate office asking about their policy as I could not find it online. I was called today by their general manager for Mississippi, he asked about what was said and about the manager and I explained what happened and that the manager was very respectful. No need for anyone to get in trouble. He then Told me he would be holding a conference call with all of the Mississippi managers to inform them that it was legal and not to ask anyone to leave or to post a sign for guns at all. He Gave me a nice small gift card to the store which was not necessary but was greatly appreciated. Thought I would let anyone who cares know.

Last edited: