Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man arrested for reporting open carrier

Man arrested for reporting open carrier

http://touch.courant.com/#section/22.../p2p-77427140/

Let's hope this guy gets the help and therapy he needs for his hoplophobia before he gets someone hurt.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

What's a "Glastonbury agent"?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I didn't see confirmation that this was an open carrier.

He may have seen that the man exposed a "concealed" weapon accidentally. Those cause more reactions than open carry in many situations.

The police are said to have figured out who had the gun.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I also believe that if someone calls 911 for someone that isn't doing anything illegal (ie. open carry) then the caller should be cited for making a false report or abuse of 911 system.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    I also believe that if someone calls 911 for someone that isn't doing anything illegal (ie. open carry) then the caller should be cited for making a false report or abuse of 911 system.
    In their defense, many of those callers may believe it is illegal and they are doing the right thing. More important is a dispatcher asking questions to get the person to confirm whether or not a law is being broken. But if it is determined that a caller is purposely using the system to harass a carrier, then yes, that should be pursued.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    In their defense, many of those callers may believe it is illegal and they are doing the right thing. More important is a dispatcher asking questions to get the person to confirm whether or not a law is being broken. But if it is determined that a caller is purposely using the system to harass a carrier, then yes, that should be pursued.
    I guess you can't be charged with being an idiot then.....

(ref to people calling 911 that don't know it is legal to OC)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    http://touch.courant.com/#section/22.../p2p-77427140/

Let's hope this guy gets the help and therapy he needs for his hoplophobia before he gets someone hurt.
    Yeah, he should have time when he is in the clink...

where did this occur and why is the article dated tomorrow, the seventeenth? Is this future news or a typo?
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    where did this occur and why is the article dated tomorrow, the seventeenth? Is this future news or a typo?
    The author's email address is present in the article. I would suggest contacting them.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Ignorance of the law is never a valid excuse. Anyone can be sited/arrested for breaking a law that they are not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post
    Ignorance of the law is never a valid excuse. Anyone can be sited/arrested for breaking a law that they are not aware of.
    Yes, and I am saying that there are times when it should be left to common sense enforcement, and that it is likely that many of these calls fall into that category.
    Last edited by MAC702; 09-16-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Yes, and I am saying that there are times when it should be left to common sense enforcement, and that it is likely that many of these calls fall into that category.
    We used to get these calls all the time. It was up to US, in patrol to get a memo written and then policy was changed, but prior to that dispatch WOULD send us to MWAG call based upon "concerned" citizen 911 calls. Groovy. We would contact the CALLER (not the carrier) and inform him of the law and that OC was legal. Sometimes we would drive by the carrier to see if we recognized him as a convicted felon (which of course was never the case, because you'd have to be even stupider than the average criminal to be a convicted felon and OC), but never make a stop or anything like that.

Call receivers/dispatchers are not expected to know the laws to the extent officers or prosecutors are. They have a general understanding, but many of them (and even a few cops sadly) didn't know that OC was entirely legal activity. Similarly, they used to send us to "sex offense " calls when soccer moms would complain about bikini baristas wearing only pasties and a thong walking around outside their kiosks in full view of children.

ENTIRELY legal. We actually got a letter from our local prosecutor explaining that as long as the areolas were covered and the vulva, that they could walk around in public all they wanted and did not need to keep out of view of "the children' by hiding from the outside world./

Those were two examples where we were getting dispatched based on complaint of legal activity. Always up to the officer to filter the call through the relevant law moreso than the (civilian) call receiver and dispatchers job. But ONCE we got them squared away on the law, they didn't send us to that stuff any more b ut instead educated the caller

Come on PALO, we know why you responded to the barista calls.
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PALO View Post
    Similarly, they used to send us to "sex offense " calls when soccer moms would complain about bikini baristas wearing only pasties and a thong walking around outside their kiosks in full view of children.

ENTIRELY legal. We actually got a letter from our local prosecutor explaining that as long as the areolas were covered and the vulva, that they could walk around in public all they wanted and did not need to keep out of view of "the children' by hiding from the outside world./
    Oh yeah! What time do they open! What town is it where there are half nekkid woman walkin' around! And how come that's not on the tourism site!!??
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” —Samuel Adams

"Here sir, the people govern." -- Alexander Hamilton (speech in the New York ratifying convention, 17 June 1788) Reference: The Debates of the Several State..., Elliot, vol. 2 (348)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by LQM View Post
    Oh yeah! What time do they open! What town is it where there are half nekkid woman walkin' around! And how come that's not on the tourism site!!??
    Sure makes our meeting spots seem lame, huh?

Cool

Sure makes our meeting spots seem lame, huh?
    Yeah! We gotta start hanging out with PALO.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” —Samuel Adams

"Here sir, the people govern." -- Alexander Hamilton (speech in the New York ratifying convention, 17 June 1788) Reference: The Debates of the Several State..., Elliot, vol. 2 (348)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Yeah! We gotta start hanging out with PALO.
    I dunno. He sounds like he would spend a lot of time putting me in handcuffs. I am not 'down' with that kind of fun.

Cool

I dunno. He sounds like he would spend a lot of time putting me in handcuffs. I am not 'down' with that kind of fun.
    Is there some law that says a person can't be armed and engaged in ogling? I'll have to look it up.

All fun aside, from what I could take out of the original article, it sounds like the cops did it right. No commentary on how the OC'er was handled, but "the OC alarmer" was wasn't the issue as much as the ruckus he caused in the bank. I don't know about the rest of us, but writing a note to a bank teller that includes the word "GUN" is a sure way to garner attention.

But he enjoys it! Like wrestling with a pig, you are sullied.

Is there some law that says a person can't be armed and engaged in ogling? I'll have to look it up.
    Yes, mopery and mopery with intent to gawp, from the common law.

ETA:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gawp https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mopery
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-17-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Yes, mopery and mopery with intent to gawp, from the common law.
    HA!

... No commentary on how the OC'er was handled, but "the OC alarmer" ...
    Have we confirmed this was an OC'er?

Man arrested for reporting open carrier

I sit corrected.

I didn't see confirmation that this was an open carrier.

He may have seen that the man exposed a "concealed" weapon accidentally. Those cause more reactions than open carry in many situations.

The police are said to have figured out who had the gun.
    OC is legal in CN with a license,

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    OC is legal in CN with a license,
    Okay. And how does this relate to my point?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast