• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harassment in Columbus

SouthOC

Hello, my name is Kody. I'm 19 years old. I live in southern Columbus. I open carry my AR-15 A twice a week. I pick up trash mostly and help neighbors with yard work. The police in my area drive by and wave. Recently community leaders in my area have started a campaign to have me arrested for carrying my "machin gun" in their neighborhood. I am "inducing panic" and am a "threat" to everyone. They have promised legal action against me unless I stop. They have contacted Matt O'Brien and have threatened to press charges against me. I am seeking support as I cannot fend them off by myself anymore. They have also threatened to contact my landlord and have him kick me and my family out. Please help.

NEOOpenCarry

This is what I responded on the "community leaders" Facebook page under the post where she talks about Kody.

"Hi Amy, my name is Brett Pucillo and I am the President of Ohio Carry. I was directed to your page by the young man you refer to in this status. I wanted to take the opportunity to clear up any misperceptions or confusion that may have been caused when you saw Kody walking with his rifle. I also want to clear up some bad legal advice that you received from this officer.

If you like, you could add me as a friend and we could talk privately through messaging or I can try to clear up as much as I can through comments on here. Kody is very upset that his good name and intentions are being tarnished and came to me for help in resolving any animosity or lingering issues.

I would like to state for the record that Kody was not carrying a machine gun, nor did he have a clip. Caleb was carrying a semi automatic modern sporting rifle. Caleb has informed me that he carries this rifle slung In a two point harness across his back and absolutely In a non threatening manner. Actually he doesn't even carry it loaded even though it is his right to do so.

The officers mention of inducing a panic charge is very inaccurate. One can not be found guilty of inducing panic or disorderly conduct simply for exercising their constitutional rights. The officer must have been confused or received bad advice himself.

If that officer were to arrest him and charge him with Inducing panic simply for safely openly carrying his weapon, when the charges were dropped, Kaleb could sue that officer and that department for violation of his civil rights since this is a constitutionally protected right. "Interfering with civil rights" is a first degree misdemeanor charge...

Our goal is to head off any of these problems before they happen. We wish to provide education and answer any questions anyone may have about Kody or how he chooses to express his community service (picking up litter). He chooses to do so armed and we want to make clear that it is his right to do so. If you have any further questions or would like to discuss this matter, I would urge you to either respond here or email me at Ohiocarry@yahoo.com

Thank you for your time and I hope we can quickly and efficiently clear up this confusion to avoid Kody any future problems. Thanks again.

Brett Pucillo
Ohio Carry President"

I also have screen shots of every post and comment about this subject on her page. Her name is Amy wickes. She posted about him on Friday and Saturday.

eye95

I am working both Saturday and Sunday this weekend and cannot help during the day. I am free on Monday and Tuesday if anything is scheduled for those days.

I normally don't OC my AR, but if it would help make the point, I would.

Folks from NE Ohio owe a couple of trips to SW Ohio! We had almost 50 in Oberlin, helping out up there. Can we get 50 people in Columbus to pick up trash?

SouthOC

If anyone wants to get in contact with me, my # is 614-928-5976. I'd love to get a group together. I'm tired of my rights being attacked.

eye95

If you schedule an event, post the date and time here. I am now using the eye95 Twitter feed as a clearinghouse for Ohio gun rallies. Subscribe to the feed to get information on all Ohio rallies I learn about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

NEOOpenCarry

I am working both Saturday and Sunday this weekend and cannot help during the day. I am free on Monday and Tuesday if anything is scheduled for those days.

I normally don't OC my AR, but if it would help make the point, I would.

Folks from NE Ohio owe a couple of trips to SW Ohio! We had almost 50 in Oberlin, helping out up there. Can we get 50 people in Columbus to pick up trash?

Hey I am in if we can do it on Sunday. Sunday all day I am in and could bring at least a few. AR and .45 will be coming along ;-)

N605TW

Activist Member
I suspect I now know the tail number of an aircraft that has armaments aboard. :D

Good luck with the trash picking (says the guy all the way over in Colorado). Anyone bringing a 12 gauge? Or an AK?

I wish it was mine. N605TW was a Boeing 767-200 for TWA.

I don't have an ar yet but I have a few commie guns and a 12 guage. And before we get into trouble for talking about the long guns, I will have my Glock on me too.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

SteveInCO

I wish it was mine. N605TW was a Boeing 767-200 for TWA.

That's what I get for not checking the registry.

But I bet there'd be a locker with toys in it if it were yours...

I don't have an ar yet but I have a few commie guns and a 12 guage. And before we get into trouble for talking about the long guns, I will have my Glock on me too.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I guess it had better not be a G-34 then. :D Seriously, I own a couple (A G-20 does nightstand duty) but I prefer CZs.

MyWifeSaidYes

I will contact SouthOC this morning.

Who has a link to this "community leaders" page?

I found the lady, but I haven't found any relevant posts about the OP.

Hareuhal

Alright...

Make it a weekend (and not one that I have military duty!) and I will be there. AR and all.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

samkent

Oh Boy. Here goes.
I can see both sides of this neighborhood incident.
You are too young to own a pistol so you have an AR. No problem there.
I'm sure you are a fine upstanding citizen.

But now it gets sticky.
You don't have it loaded. So you are not using it for self defence.
That means it political. That's fine to a point.

But with age comes wisdom.
I did things in my younger days that I am not proud of now. Not criminal, mostly not stupid just dumb.
Age has taught me to pick my battles and swallowing my pride doesn't taste as bad as it used to.

You are making yourself into a lightning rod. And you will be struck in one fashion or another.
It may be as minor as being evicted by the landlord. Don't think he can't do it legally because he can. I was a landlord here in Ohio. I know.
He only has to give your family 30 days notice and then refuse the rent money on day 31.
On day 35 he files for eviction. Your day in court will be day 55. The sheriff will be there on day 62 to 'supervise' him setting your stuff on the curb. I've done it. It's legal. You have no grounds to stop it.

Even if the police make the mistake of arresting you for inducing panic. You still lose in the long run. A background check will reveal a dropped charge of inducing panic. What's a prospective employer to think? With the rash of employees going postal you will NOT get the job. And you will never know the reason why.
Keep your record spotless!

When you turn 21 get a pistol. (less threatening)
Get a waistband holster. (less threatening) Not the leg strap type.
Keep it loaded.

Swallow your pride and pick your battles. You will get much farther in life.
(fatherly rant over)

Hareuhal

It may be as minor as being evicted by the landlord. Don't think he can't do it legally because he can. I was a landlord here in Ohio.

When you turn 21 get a pistol. (less threatening)
Get a waistband holster. (less threatening) Not the leg strap type.
Keep it loaded.

You have been here since August and only have fourteen posts..and one thing you decide to do is tell another user how to go about exercising his rights so he isn't "threatening", while nothing he is doing is threatening.

1) Explain to me how him exercising his constitutional right is grounds for eviction. The moment he enters the court, his landlord will have to justify the eviction. Has he missed payments? Has he caused issues? Is he otherwise a bad tenant? If the answer is "No", then the landlord has no justification for eviction. Exercising constitutional rights, regardless of the landlords views, is not grounds for eviction. ORC even goes as far as protecting tenants and their guests from landlords attempting to prohibit firearms on their property. So, the landlord cannot legally evict him for having a gun, carrying a gun, owning a gun, or doing anything LEGAL with a gun.

2) How dare you tell him how to carry any gun. Should he choose to carry on his waist, on his shoulder, on his thigh, he has EVERY right to. It is not any more threatening than carrying it any other way.

You're on a forum for gun rights, and yet your entire post is following the trend of "carry it in THIS way so you make others happy".

Here's what he should do:

Carry his firearms in whatever legal manner he so chooses. Loaded or unloaded. As long as he is within the law, he should carry it how he feels comfortable.

When I carry my AR, I carry it across my chest, with my handgun on my hip. Are you going to tell me to do it any other way just to make someone else happy? Should I carry it on my back or shoulder so it is "less threatening"?

I can respect your "concern" for him, but advising him to restrict the ways he legally exercises his rights is borderline gun control.

*edit* When he is of age and has a handgun, should he carry concealed so he is "less threatening" as well? Just a thought..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

I concur with Hareuhal. The only 'gotcha' is the landlord issue.

Depending on how the lease is written, there is no 'reason' needed for eviction after a 30-day notice. I used to manage apartment complexes on OSU campus. SamKent is spot on. I have personally moved more tenants crap (in some cases, literally) out to the curb than I ever desired to.

The exception for landlords/tenants regarding firearms is specific to someone that has their CHL ("...A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee...). This man is too young to qualify for his CHL.

Yes. The threat of antagonizing his landlord, unless such is pro-2A, is a VERY real threat.

davidmcbeth

Banned
This kid could have a good slander case ... someone is calling you a felon IMO....something to consider, not knowing all the facts, just tossing it out

I'd be at the courthouse filing ....

MyWifeSaidYes

BEFORE WE SCHEDULE A WALK OR FILE A LAWSUIT...

...we need to confirm Kody's story.

I spoke with Kody today and he seems sincere. Because he has never recorded any interactions with police or others, we have no proof of what they might have said.

I have not yet seen the screenshots from Facebook of the things that were supposedly said, but I didn't see anything there now that would cause me to be upset with the person he mentioned.

I think any threats would have to have come from a LEO. I will call him back shortly to get more info.