Thread: Lynden removes law banning firearms in city parks

Lynden removes law banning firearms in city parks

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013...-firearms.html

LYNDEN - The City Council is removing a law that banned people from carrying guns in Lynden's parks to bring the city into compliance with Washington state's "open-carry" law.The council did so at its meeting Monday, Sept. 16.
    The law had been on the city's books since 1921, Mayor Scott Korthuis said.
    But an incident in which Bellingham Police Officer Allen Bass incorrectly detained John Laigaie III at gunpoint because he carried a holstered pistol in Bloedel-Donovan Park on Dec. 19, 2011, prompted Lynden to look at its own rules.

My Sweet Baboo found this in todays paper. Well good on the city of Lyndens City Council. They saw others out of step with the law and they reviewed their own. I like shopping and spending time in Lynden. It is a great town.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post

LYNDEN - The City Council is removing a law that banned people from carrying guns in Lynden's parks to bring the city into compliance with Washington state's "open-carry" law.The council did so at its meeting Monday, Sept. 16.
    But an incident in which Bellingham Police Officer Allen Bass incorrectly detained John Laigaie III at gunpoint because he carried a holstered pistol in Bloedel-Donovan Park on Dec. 19, 2011, prompted Lynden to look at its own rules.

My Sweet Baboo found this in todays paper. Well good on the city of Lyndens City Council. They saw others out of step with the law and they reviewed their own. I like shopping and spending time in Lynden. It is a great town.
    I've contacted the Mayor and City Council numerous times over the past couple of years requesting that they remove the law and they blew me off time and time again. They did remove the sign that said "no firearms" sometime last year from their park. I would be "careful" OC'ing in Lynden, keep your recorder close and have some witnesses. I've had multiple negative encounters with law enforcement there, I know that others have not, but I would be cautious.

By the way, thank you for standing your ground on this issue and fighting for our rights, it's very appreciated.

The Lynden city council saw the mistake that bellingham made and corrected theirs. It took the possibility of revenue loss to goad them into action. Do not think that YOUR actions will be left by the wayside. Because they "blow you off", do not let them oppress you. Carry On!
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post

Correction... they did not remove a law. The law was already removed, null, void, and REPEALED by the State of Washington.
    All they really did was clean up their local books to avoid confusion.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I've contacted the Mayor and City Council numerous times over the past couple of years requesting that they remove the law and they blew me off time and time again. They did remove the sign that said "no firearms" sometime last year from their park. I would be "careful" OC'ing in Lynden, keep your recorder close and have some witnesses. I've had multiple negative encounters with law enforcement there, I know that others have not, but I would be cautious.

By the way, thank you for standing your ground on this issue and fighting for our rights, it's very appreciated.
    Rest assured your actions had an affect. Thank you for fighting the fight.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)