• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynden removes law banning firearms in city parks

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/09/17/3209673/lynden-removes-law-banning-firearms.html

LYNDEN - The City Council is removing a law that banned people from carrying guns in Lynden's parks to bring the city into compliance with Washington state's "open-carry" law.The council did so at its meeting Monday, Sept. 16.
The law had been on the city's books since 1921, Mayor Scott Korthuis said.
But an incident in which Bellingham Police Officer Allen Bass incorrectly detained John Laigaie III at gunpoint because he carried a holstered pistol in Bloedel-Donovan Park on Dec. 19, 2011, prompted Lynden to look at its own rules.

My Sweet Baboo found this in todays paper. Well good on the city of Lyndens City Council. They saw others out of step with the law and they reviewed their own. I like shopping and spending time in Lynden. It is a great town.

Luke

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/09/17/3209673/lynden-removes-law-banning-firearms.html

LYNDEN - The City Council is removing a law that banned people from carrying guns in Lynden's parks to bring the city into compliance with Washington state's "open-carry" law.The council did so at its meeting Monday, Sept. 16.
But an incident in which Bellingham Police Officer Allen Bass incorrectly detained John Laigaie III at gunpoint because he carried a holstered pistol in Bloedel-Donovan Park on Dec. 19, 2011, prompted Lynden to look at its own rules.

My Sweet Baboo found this in todays paper. Well good on the city of Lyndens City Council. They saw others out of step with the law and they reviewed their own. I like shopping and spending time in Lynden. It is a great town.

I've contacted the Mayor and City Council numerous times over the past couple of years requesting that they remove the law and they blew me off time and time again. They did remove the sign that said "no firearms" sometime last year from their park. I would be "careful" OC'ing in Lynden, keep your recorder close and have some witnesses. I've had multiple negative encounters with law enforcement there, I know that others have not, but I would be cautious.

By the way, thank you for standing your ground on this issue and fighting for our rights, it's very appreciated.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
The Lynden city council saw the mistake that bellingham made and corrected theirs. It took the possibility of revenue loss to goad them into action. Do not think that YOUR actions will be left by the wayside. Because they "blow you off", do not let them oppress you. Carry On!

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran

Correction... they did not remove a law. The law was already removed, null, void, and REPEALED by the State of Washington.
All they really did was clean up their local books to avoid confusion.

sudden valley gunner

I've contacted the Mayor and City Council numerous times over the past couple of years requesting that they remove the law and they blew me off time and time again. They did remove the sign that said "no firearms" sometime last year from their park. I would be "careful" OC'ing in Lynden, keep your recorder close and have some witnesses. I've had multiple negative encounters with law enforcement there, I know that others have not, but I would be cautious.

By the way, thank you for standing your ground on this issue and fighting for our rights, it's very appreciated.

Rest assured your actions had an affect. Thank you for fighting the fight.