• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time to re-think those coffee meets...Starbucks apparently caves...

davidmcbeth

Banned
Starbucks says guns are no longer welcome in its cafes, though it is stopping short of an outright ban on firearms. The fine line that the retailer is walking to address the concerns of both gun rights and gun control advocates reflects how heated the issue has become, particularly in light of recent mass shootings. [ ... ]

"We will not ask you to leave," he said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/starbucks-guns-unwelcome-banned-20288279

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...5b1b86-2017-11e3-9ad0-96244100e647_story.html

$tarbuck$ legal case for a charge of trespass is much diminished.

What they write in their policies that are kept in a drawer is irrelevant. We'll see.

Of course, cops are OK to carry. Why? They say weapons are not welcome. Commies in my book - different rules for different citizens.

EMNofSeattle

I saw it as a long time coming.....

For the same reasons dean posted... It also didn't help that the handful of monthly open carry meetups between responsible OCers became overshadowed by "Starbucks apreciation" days and various pictures of people putting guns on the tables or carrying rifles into the stores. Does this mean ill stop doing business with Starbucks..... Maybe, maybe not.

I am willing to spend money at locations that are
A) run by pro gun or neutral franchisees. Or

B) kiosks at grocery stores. The Starbucks locations inside grocery stores are owned by the store and staffed with union grocery employees, the store Only pays SBUX a fixed license fee.

boosteddreams

It's really unfortunate that this has happened, but I'm not terribly surprised given the events of the last few months. I always appreciated their neutral stance and, when people commented on their policy, I made sure to take the time to clarify that they were not pro-gun, just following state law. Since they've decided to take a stand - albeit a somewhat weak one - my wallet and I will also take a stand -- at another coffee shop.

Stretch

I would encourage those who feel so inclined to write them either online or via letter to do so respectfully. Displaying rage, or making irrational comments will only further isolate us and justify their decision.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

509rifas

To an extent this seems like more of the same trying to distance themselves from the gun debate than really taking a side. They didn't ask to be the place where pro and anti constitution people make their case, they just ended up that way. I imagine there's a lot of businesses that don't give a crap if you carry a gun but would rather not be the battleground over that right. Imagine if PINAC found a particular cafe where it's easy to find cops to film, although the store would ackowledge the right to do that, they'd probably get tired of the drama that it starts at their business and casually but politely ask people to stop.

They still will not ask anyone carrying to leave, and I'm curious as to whether they even will post signs (and how they wil be worded.)
I never went to a starbucks on account of the closest one is three cities away from me and I don't care for them much anyways, but I'm tempted now.

Here's my suggestion; just go anywhere.

skeith5

To an extent this seems like more of the same trying to distance themselves from the gun debate than really taking a side.

They flat out said that guns are not welcome in their stores. They have taken a side. They have made this "minor" change to see if there is any backlash. If there is none expect to see no guns signs posted at your nearest Starbucks.

I'm not surprised, as a corporation they were never pro-gun. A lot of pro-gun people took advantage of Starbucks' position and made them out to be something they never were.

Logan 5

I think it's stupid. If anything the peo-2nd A crowd is pushing allies away by openly advertising the supporters against the supporters wishes. And then the pics like a couple I saw a moment ago, of people flaunting around with their guns. There is only so much they can take. Can't say that I blame them, now.

Last edited:

acmariner99

I think we hurt our own cause by promoting Starbucks as a pro-2A location when they clearly stated that they were neutral. They had no opinion one way or the other. They didn't like us showing up in large groups and certainly didn't like those showing up with long guns. While they say carrying is still allowed, we are no longer welcome and that is good enough for me. Besides, if we do not honor their request, we really do become the bad guys. They are free to choose what behavior is and is not allowed in their stores and I am ok with that. It is too bad though, their pastries and refreshers were mighty tasty. There is a hole in the wall coffee joint across the street from my apartment complex, I will be checking them out this afternoon.

tombrewster421

I agree with Navy lcdr completely and will see if I can get the money left on my gold card refunded after work today.

I do not think that we hurt our cause though. Starbucks said they were neutral and we simply thanked them by spending money there. Morons wanted to boycott for ONE day and we countered by spending money there. I didn't go out of my way because I would have been spending my money there anyway. The folks with long guns are most likely from a state like Kommiefornia where that was their only option.

One thing is certain, Starbucks profits for the last quarter of this year will most likely be lower than last year. It was pretty stupid to piss off the people that some were going out of their way to spend money there. I'm sure they lost many more customers than they gained last night.

Jeff Hayes

Navy is absolutely correct.

The only way they will now listen is if their bottom line is affected. I for one have been been drinking Starbucks at home as well as when I am out and about since they announced their stance.

I will be writing them a letter, in that letter I will tell them how much money I spent last year and inform them I will no longer spend that money until they decide to allow firearms again.

If several million of us will stop going to Starbucks that will possably make a difference. However I doubt enough of us will follow through.

acmariner99

I agree with Navy lcdr completely and will see if I can get the money left on my gold card refunded after work today.

I do not think that we hurt our cause though. Starbucks said they were neutral and we simply thanked them by spending money there. Morons wanted to boycott for ONE day and we countered by spending money there. I didn't go out of my way because I would have been spending my money there anyway. The folks with long guns are most likely from a state like Kommiefornia where that was their only option.

One thing is certain, Starbucks profits for the last quarter of this year will most likely be lower than last year. It was pretty stupid to piss off the people that some were going out of their way to spend money there. I'm sure they lost many more customers than they gained last night.

I don't disagree with any particular point, though they did say they didn't like their brand being portrayed as 2A - such as the whole "I love guns and coffee" gig. Also, the 2A community is fairly small compared to Starbucks' global enterprise. While they may feel a slight pinch here at home, I don't think their bottom line will be terribly effected. Pumpkin spice lattes and peppermint mochas sell more than public policy. Economics. Still, I will go where I am welcome and I am no longer welcome at Starbucks.

jbone

"This is a request and not an outright ban. Why? Because we want to give responsible gun owners the chance to respect our request" ~Schultz~

Chance, meaning, ban is coming if gun owners don't respect their request.

I say continue having coffee while carrying and see what develops.

"The presence of a weapon in our stores is unsettling and upsetting for many of our customers" ~Schultz~

What a Lib!

Logan 5

I cannot believe some of the hatred I hear. Ok, you're a customer and the business changed it's policies. Well, before expressing hatred towards them like little children, ask them "why?" Why are they saying that guns are not welcome there, but they will not ask you to leave. Enough of the groundless speculations, go for the facts.

As for your meeting place, ask the manager at the local Starbucks that you guys regularly met at if you guys could keep meeting there and if so, under what terms. You might be surprised. The manager just might say yes. You'll never know.

The way a few of you react, I'm inclined to think that you're either too immature to know how to safely use a firearm or perhaps really anti-gunners coming here to give this fine group a bad reputation. And I am very doubtful if some of you even held a mop while in the service, considering how you're behaving now. RKBA is certainly a right you have, but remember Starbucks is still private property. If you cannot respect them, what can you respect?

retrodad

I cannot believe some of the hatred I hear. Ok, you're a customer and the business changed it's policies. Well, before expressing hatred towards them like little children, ask them "why?" Why are they saying that guns are not welcome there, but they will not ask you to leave. Enough of the groundless speculations, go for the facts.

As for your meeting place, ask the manager at the local Starbucks that you guys regularly met at if you guys could keep meeting there and if so, under what terms. You might be surprised. The manager just might say yes. You'll never know.

The way a few of you react, I'm inclined to think that you're either too immature to know how to safely use a firearm or perhaps really anti-gunners coming here to give this fine group a bad reputation. And I am very doubtful if some of you even held a mop while in the service, considering how you're behaving now. RKBA is certainly a right you have, but remember Starbucks is still private property. If you cannot respect them, what can you respect?

+1

tombrewster421

"This is a request and not an outright ban. Why? Because we want to give responsible gun owners the chance to respect our request" ~Schultz~

Chance, meaning, ban is coming if gun owners don't respect their request.

What a Lib![/I]

You mean, "as long as you promise not to exercise your rights then you can keep them."

Do we really have rights if we're not allowed to exercise them?

tombrewster421

I'm not really sure why you choose the term "hatred." Starbucks chose a stance and we shall respect that by not spending another dime there. Where's the hatred you speak of? (not counting the folks that didn't go before because they think the coffee sucks) obviously those people hated them already.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
A lot of people are missing the deviousness of Starbucks statement. Starbucks has pretty much disavowed any chance of being portrayed as "the bad guy" on this. Let's say someone brings a firearm into Starbucks... who's the bad guy? Is it Starbucks? No, not Starbucks....why? Because Starbucks didn't PROHIBIT firearms in their stores. Starbucks would never do that. They just politely asked the customer not to bring his gun into their store. But that guy with the gun - look at how inconsiderate he is! Starbucks was so nice just to politely ask him not to bring his gun into the store, but he won't listen to polite a polite request not to.

What is the anti-gun crowd going to do with that? "SEE! LOOK! We told you all about those pro-gun guys! They won't listen to polite requests! See how dangerous they are?!? It's not enough to just ask them to leave their guns outside, we must have laws to make them leave their guns outside! Poor, poor Starbucks! Those gun guys just won't respect their polite requests!"

I would rather that Starbucks just posted their stores and prohibited firearms. Now they have just pushed any and all bad publicity onto the pro-gun side and the anti-gun side gets off scott free.
(my colored bold above)

This is incorrect. If you read the picture posted by Bill Starks on the prior page, you can tell, that at least for now, gun carrying customers will NOT be asked to leave if all they're doing is carrying.

Not that I will give or ever gave Starbucks any money, but your assertion needed to be corrected.

Last edited: