Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's official: Starbucks caves.

It's official: Starbucks caves.

Sad, but not unexpected, considering their generally left-leaning tendencies.

TFred

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/an-ope...d-schultz/1268

I would like to clarify two points. First, this is a request and not an outright ban. Why? Because we want to give responsible gun owners the chance to respect our request—and also because enforcing a ban would potentially require our partners to confront armed customers, and that is not a role I am comfortable asking Starbucks partners to take on. Second, we know we cannot satisfy everyone. For those who oppose “open carry,” we believe the legislative and policy-making process is the proper arena for this debate, not our stores. For those who champion “open carry,” please respect that Starbucks stores are places where everyone should feel relaxed and comfortable. The presence of a weapon in our stores is unsettling and upsetting for many of our customers.
    I am more relaxed and comfortable while armed and welcome armed, particularly among the sort that frequents coffee shoppes. My local coffee shoppe - yes, ONE - featured MoveOn.org literature and I have never been back. I pay $0.50/ounce for roasted bean and brew a great cuppa.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

There goes

my pumpkin spice Frappachino.

Oh well. I don't need the calories anyway.

It's Official

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Sad, but not unexpected, considering their generally left-leaning tendencies.

TFred

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/an-ope...d-schultz/1268
    Congratulations. Starbucks is now a Gun Free Slaughter Zone.

Be assured that if there is ever an incident at the store I used to go to, or any other Starbucks store, that I will not lift a finger to protect staff or your customers!

You will miss my business.

Story from another angle.

"Schultz hopes people will honor the request not to bring in guns but says the company will nevertheless serve those who do.""We will not ask you to leave," he said.

My store knows me as I have been carrying there ever since they opened and we shall see if they start saying anything. Perhaps there is a chance I can still get my Pumpkin Spice Frap while they last!!!!

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...to-stores?lite

;>)

"We are tired of being used by both sides as a pawn in a matter that has nothing to do with our reason for being in business. And one side, that probably is a bigger business base than the other, has been behaving very badly (if not illegally) during this but we are afraid to go very far in saying that because they are our bigger customer base.

"Folks from both sides bring money into our stores, which we like. But we are tired of both the disruption to business that being made a pawn engenders, and mostly we are tired of being accused by both sides of supporting the other side. THe only dog we have in this fight is that we want your dollars in out till."

So - congratulations to us all, on both sides. Hope we are all proud of ourselves.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    "We are tired of being used by both sides as a pawn in a matter that has nothing to do with our reason for being in business. And one side, that probably is a bigger business base than the other, has been behaving very badly (if not illegally) during this but we are afraid to go very far in saying that because they are our bigger customer base.

"Folks from both sides bring money into our stores, which we like. But we are tired of both the disruption to business that being made a pawn engenders, and mostly we are tired of being accused by both sides of supporting the other side. THe only dog we have in this fight is that we want your dollars in out till."

So - congratulations to us all, on both sides. Hope we are all proud of ourselves.

stay safe.
    Couldn't have said better!

The biggest gripe I have with Kirby Burch and his dog hunting ditch targets is that they have a "We can do as we please" attitude.
    Unfortunately, we get a little carried away sometimes too.

Retired and on a fixed income. Couldn't afford the fancy coffee to begin with. Will have to stick with the Folgers instant and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

For the people who carried your AR15 into Starbucks, is this outcome a surprise to you? Just curious.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Any attempts to open carry in Starbucks after this will be portrayed as "gun nuts don't respect others' rights".

Please respect their right to request that we not purchase their products or appear on their property.

(But I'd love to get a big carafe of good coffee, and some folding chairs, and have a coffee party across the street. Mind you, this is just a fantasy.)
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Refusal of service will not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Any attempts to open carry in Starbucks after this will be portrayed as "gun nuts don't respect others' rights".

Please respect their right to request that we not purchase their products or appear on their property.

(But I'd love to get a big carafe of good coffee, and some folding chairs, and have a coffee party across the street. Mind you, this is just a fantasy.)

"Schultz hopes people will honor the request not to bring in guns but says the company will nevertheless serve those who do."

"We will not ask you to leave," he said.

They also have a memo for the employees advising them not to request we leave simply for carrying.

I don't care of its a ban or not. Why would you go somewhere and support something when you know your not welcome or wanted!

I wonder if this was just his decision or a boards. Be interesting to see what happens to their stock this week. If you want some fun check out the comments on their Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by mjcromp View Post
    I don't care of its a ban or not. Why would you go somewhere and support something when you know your not welcome or wanted!
    And if you do your an asshat for not respecting their rights.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by mjcromp View Post
    They have simply modified their "neutral" position to prefer not neutral position.

Although, it is pretty damning however.

"Carrying, bothers our customers". I am your customer, what about me being comfortable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

No they never had a position, they just wanted to sell coffee and be left out of the issue, but some people chose to make it Starbucks a place to make a political statement which cause them a bunch of hassle from both sides.

Local media coverage with a poll:

http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsd...gh-not-banned/

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by coorsleftfield View Post
    No they never had a position, they just wanted to sell coffee and be left out of the issue, but some people chose to make it Starbucks a place to make a political statement which cause them a bunch of hassle from both sides.
    +1

I think this was the crux of the problem, antis said ban, they said no we want to sell coffee and the law is not our domain. Pros said yes they are pro lets have meetings and appreciation show our support of their (non) support.

They are trying to send the same message, leave us to sell coffee, that is our interest. We still don't have, and don't want to have, a dog in this fight, we want to sell coffee.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

For the people who carried your AR15 into Starbucks, is this outcome a surprise to you? Just curious.
    Same tired argument was said YEARS ago with handguns. Get with the program. A right un-exercised, is a right lost.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    +1 As stated, that is the crux of the issue. They just wanted to be left alone in this debate and not make a statement either way. They said that they follow state law, period.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. People on both sides of the argument wanted to take the issue into their arena. I have no issue with showing support for them by patronizing their business, but sometimes we need to be aware of certain sensitivities....i.e planning an appreciation event at the Newtown, Ct. Starbucks, causing them to close down for the day.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 09-18-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Well I will miss it.
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Thank you for voting!
    Bad move. 64.04% (228 votes)

Good move. 25% (89 votes)

I don't really care / Undecided. 10.96% (39 votes)

Total Votes: 356

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    +1 As stated, that is the crux of the issue. They just wanted to be left alone in this debate and not make a statement either way. They said that they follow state law, period.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. People on both sides of the argument wanted to take the issue into their arena. I have no issue with showing support for them by patronizing their business, but sometimes we need to be aware of certain sensitivities....i.e planning an appreciation event at the Newtown, Ct. Starbucks, causing them to close down for the day.
    I posted on one of the forums about a month ago that these appreciation days (which anyone with a few brain cells would know Starbucks didn't appreciate) would force Starbucks to take a side on the issue when they wanted to remain neutral. Also said that we would not like the side Starbucks takes if the OC groups force them to take one. I'm just glad I can still ccw because they could have thrown up no guns signs, which restricts even ccw. This is what will happen next if people ignore their request for no OC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

So does this mean.... that Ed is going to have to find a new company logo to 'borrow' for his 'I love guns and coffee' trinkets??

If they just wanted to sell coffee....

Then the CEO should have kept his damned mouth shut! I personally feel betrayed because I did change my behavior and support them when the antis called for boycotts. They just want to be left alone? So be it. Neither my shadow nor my wallet will return to darken their doors. I wish personal ruin on the CEO. I do not care about your personal views, you are welcome to them. You, dumbass just took sides.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast