Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns no longer welcomed at Starbucks

Guns no longer welcomed at Starbucks

Person in Home Depot: "Do you really think you need that?"
    Me: "I hope not. But then again, I didn't need my seatbelt on the way here either."

You know I saw this coming as some gun rights activists just cannot leave well enough alone. Starbucks never was pro gun they were neutral. However both the pro gun people and the antigun people had to put them in the unfortunate place of being in the middle of the issue.

The fact is if the pro gun people would have just gone to Starbucks when they wanted Starbucks OC or CC whatever and not made a big deal about the issue and just been happy that they were left alone I really doubt this would have happened.

However people just had to push their agenda on private property even though Starbucks made it clear they wanted no part of this. I blame the pro gun people for reacting to every move of the anti as this is what I feel tipped the balance.

And further I think the anti is smarter than many of us give them credit. They knew that their boycott would not affect Starbucks at all but that the pro gun community would react with a demonstration at Starbucks and that that this would irritate the CEO and likely lead to this result.

We are our own worst enemy as we cannot seem to switch gears from what works in public place to what works in a private business.

This is simply my opinion and not any organizations stance that I am aware of.

Stay informed about MOC events in your area http://miopencarry.org/updates
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    You know I saw this coming as some gun rights activists just cannot leave well enough alone. Starbucks never was pro gun they were neutral. However both the pro gun people and the antigun people had to put them in the unfortunate place of being in the middle of the issue.

The fact is if the pro gun people would have just gone to Starbucks when they wanted Starbucks OC or CC whatever and not made a big deal about the issue and just been happy that they were left alone I really doubt this would have happened.

However people just had to push their agenda on private property even though Starbucks made it clear they wanted no part of this. I blame the pro gun people for reacting to every move of the anti as this is what I feel tipped the balance.

And further I think the anti is smarter than many of us give them credit. They knew that their boycott would not affect Starbucks at all but that the pro gun community would react with a demonstration at Starbucks and that that this would irritate the CEO and likely lead to this result.

We are our own worst enemy as we cannot seem to switch gears from what works in public place to what works in a private business.

I totally agree.

I'm not really even pissed though honestly, and I'll probably still go there.

They are still respecting our rights, in spite of the fact that they may not like guns. They aren't saying we can't carry, on the contrary they have a company-wide policy not to kick us out and to serve us as normal. All they've pretty much said is that they don't want demonstrations and stuff going on, and they don't want their stores used as a political battleground which, frankly, I understand.

This does not reflect a change in their stance and policy, merely a clarification of same. And as long as they will treat me the same as any other customer regardless of OC, which seems to be their official company policy, I'll keep buying pumpkin spice lattes.

Re: Guns no longer welcomed at Starbucks

Screw Starbucks! A legal activity is a legal activity correct? Now I respect their right to private property rights, but really what next? Maybe a sign that says they don't want women in their stores during their menstrual cycle because they maybe emotional? Guns are a tool of defense. Nothing more. If they trully follow state laws there should have been no issues, correct?

I agree we are our own worst enemies. Rights are rights! Period! No middle of the road. Either you support all gun (civil) rights, or you really support none of them. Pretty simple aye?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

As freeinaz has no doubt noticed, more anti gun policies are merely evidence that OCing has come a long enough way to get enough attention to really irritate anti gun people. This is a reflection of that, even if not a hefty reflection on starbucks, which has been more than good to us in years past.

In terms of regular coffee, they kind of suck anyway, so I don't consider it some huge loss, regardless of what they change their policy to. If only we could get Pete's to turn pro gun, then open a bunch of locations here.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

+1
    Not going to effect me personally as I don't drink coffee lattes cappuccino or other drinks they have. And I agree that Starbucks hand was pushed because whether or not they wanted to stay neutral they were forced to make a decision.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

My understanding is McDonald's coffee has been getting better with time. Hope those who do OC and drink coffee go there instead. I don't drink coffee, but I have spent money at starbucks in the past to support them. NO LONGER! I respect their private property rights to DISRESPECT MY CIVIL RIGHTS. :thumbdown:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

I agree, in theory.

It's only natural to feel threatened at the prospect of losing something and wanting to push back. It's not just guns. Just because a few vocal people don't like something, it gets banned/outlawed because politicians pander to them. Maybe Starbucks was a miscalculation but regardless we shouldn't sit back and watch our rights get eroded because a few people don't like guns.
    Last edited by jfmi; 09-18-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Banned

I don't like "neutrals" .... show yourself!!!!!

I don't really care. I rarely drink coffee. When I do, it's usually a carmel mocha from Micky D's. I do think Starbuck's CEO may have just bit his own ass, but that's yet to be seen.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Were you guys reading the same letter I was? I took it more as a hey we don't really care what you do or don't do but please take the political debate somewhere else type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 91 whiskey View Post
    Were you guys reading the same letter I was? I took it more as a hey we don't really care what you do or don't do but please take the political debate somewhere else type of thing.
    Um, it said just a tad bit more than that.
    Big Gay Al

Starbucks says guns are no longer welcome in its cafes, though it is stopping short of an outright ban on firearms.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Alright then. Whatever the case I'm still going to carry on as normal. I don't make it a point to go in to starbucks but if I need caffeine and there happens to be a store close by I'll go in. If I'm going to go some place for coffee I do usually prefer Biggby though.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Good, that means I can stop going there and drinking chitty coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    Don't you mean over priced, chitty coffee?
    Big Gay Al

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    people like the yahoo holding his shotgun at the ready in this article are the reason:

http://pistol-training.com/archives/8604

starbucks did the wrong thing, but looking at it from their side, it's hard to fault them. i'm still not going there anymore. people need to have a little more class when they are carrying their firearms.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Well the world would be a much nicer place if people tried to be a little "classier". But, in our dumbed down world, I'll settle for not running me down while they are driving & texting as I dash for my life across the street.

Starbuck's is not the place for most here anyway. The majority of their patrons are lonely anti-social people who go there to be lonely in a large group of lonely anti-social people. There have been a few articles on this subject recently in the news. Needless to say you SMELLSLIKEMICHIGAN don't fit their mold.

ETA - http://www.womansday.com/food-recipe...arbucks-110283

FUQ - " The small tables are circular so there don't seem to be any empty seats and costumers dining alone don't feel-or appear-lonely."

Guess lots of the "lonely people" belong at: Starbuck's
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0gpPs4flw8
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 09-20-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    Yup what he said!
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Well the world would be a much nicer place if people tried to be a little "classier". But, in our dumbed down world, I'll settle for not running me down while they are driving & texting as I dash for my life across the street.

Starbuck's is not the place for most here anyway. The majority of their patrons are lonely anti-social people who go there to be lonely in a large group of lonely anti-social people. There have been a few articles on this subject recently in the news. Needless to say you SMELLSLIKEMICHIGAN don't fit their mold.

ETA - http://www.womansday.com/food-recipe...arbucks-110283

FUQ - " The small tables are circular so there don't seem to be any empty seats and costumers dining alone don't feel-or appear-lonely."

Guess lots of the "lonely people" belong at: Starbuck's
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0gpPs4flw8
    you're right. i'm only moderately anti-social.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    you're right. i'm only moderately anti-social.

i OCed at 2 starbucks this weekend, one in the "liberal" midtown area. Got a few annoyed looks but that's it. wife and i played backgammon outside for an hour.

You're right, the letter was not an outright ban on firearms. However, Schultz asked nicely for folks not to bring their firearms and political agendas inside the stores. Spend your money elsewhere and accept the SUV drivin', soccer mommies won this battle and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXDacp View Post
    You're right, the letter was not an outright ban on firearms. However, Schultz asked nicely for folks not to bring their firearms and political agendas inside the stores. Spend your money elsewhere and accept the SUV drivin', soccer mommies won this battle and move on.
    Well when some loon walks in and starts blowing people away..... you'll hear all those mommies crying...where were all the "good people" with guns??? At another coffee shop ding bats, thanks to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast