• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When Has a Gun Saved You

papa bear

i was looking at another post, where a guy told a story, of when a gun saved him.

it made me think of the times my gun has saved me. i have wrote about the 10 times i knew of, and the thousands of times that i didn't know of

like the time some guys with a motorcycle gangs tried to start something with me, or the attempted home invasion i had, twice. or like the morning i tried to help a girl out that was broke down, and her boyfriend threatened to cut me. when he heard the click he left me alone. there is more, though they are to numerous to recall

last week i had been in Greensboro, and i heard the next day some people was robbed on the streets i was on. could they have seen i was armed and didn't want to get shot? maybe

the point is i got to thinking that there was some other good stories out there that needed telling. if you shot or didn't shoot they are worth telling. who knows maybe some one could learn from this

HyDef

That's the thing. Your gun could have saved you dozens of times by the mere fact that you were open carrying, but you wouldn't know because the person intending to do you harm changed their mind upon seeing your gun.

I don't know if my gun has ever saved me, but I do know it saved a woman who was getting attacked by a pit bull that had already killed her dog.

mjcromp

Possibly once. Was in a fast food joint with my family in a bigger city and saw this guy walk in and looking around and acting weird. I went to get some ketchup and turned and he was gone. Most likely was nothing but it keeps playing back in my head. If there were some good honest proven stories like that I think most businesses would feel very different about weather they allow guns or not!

Sheldon

B&E at my parents hosue 37 + years ago before I was married...
Dog attack...
another dog attack...
front door at 0300 and perp tring to gain acces to my new home...
another dog attack...
Perp attempted to rob me while I was pumping gas and thought his intentions were a real bad idea when I went for the HK...
Yeah those are the ones I am aware of.....

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I could tell you, but Virginia has no statute of limitations.

The difficulty with threads like this is separating the times when you know, without any shadow of a doubt, that you are still above the dirt because you had a gun and used it to prevent you from being under the dirt, and the rest of the times that the presence of the gun may or may not have had any influence on somebody deciding not to do something. Even in "True Tales of Self Defense" here on OCDO we get a lot of the latter and very few of the former.

And that, boys and girls, is a Good Thing [SUP](TM)[/SUP].

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My dear eye95 - I do not need the telling of tales as an excuse/reason/motive to shoot you. And yet, I currently have no desire, overwhelming and uncontrolable or otherwise, to do so. Wonder why that might be.

stay safe.

papa bear

it doesn't have to be times you didn't know. like i said i have a least 10 times that i knew of.

i did have one time a guy told me he would beat my A$$, if i didn't have a gun. so i took the magazine out, and shucked the one in the chamber and "said go for it" . he declined to do anything. just ran his mouth. i reloaded, said whatever and left

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
it doesn't have to be times you didn't know. like i said i have a least 10 times that i knew of.

i did have one time a guy told me he would beat my A$$, if i didn't have a gun. so i took the magazine out, and shucked the one in the chamber and "said go for it" . he declined to do anything. just ran his mouth. i reloaded, said whatever and left

In that case your gun certainly did not save you.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Could it be you constant insistence that I "stay safe"?

Hmmm. Is that insistance, or a warning not to do anything that would move you from that category?

"Be polite, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet" does not mean I have to execute the plan.

stay safe.

Maverick9

The most important thing that being armed can save one from being fearful, especially in these times. My friend was quite fearful, but armed themselves, found a range to practice and now has cured that fear.

It's no guarantee, no ultimate solution, but it's a start.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I guess what the definition of a SAVE is or means needs to be but forth before one cans say if one used or was saved by his firearm.

My definition of a save would be did the presents or use of a firearm stop or detour a crime or personal attack or injury.

The mere presents of a firearm has most likely stopped or detoured many crimes or attacks. But then one might or might not even know when has happened.

It is hard to prove a negative some times.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I guess what the definition of a SAVE is or means needs to be but forth before one cans say if one used or was saved by his firearm.

My definition of a save would be did the presents or use of a firearm stop or detour a crime or personal attack or injury.

The mere presents of a firearm has most likely stopped or detoured many crimes or attacks. But then one might or might not even know when has happened.

I want presents of guns. Lots of guns. :p

And since you cannot prove most instances where no crime was committed because the BG may have seen you carrying, you cannot claim, let alone count and add up, those instances.

So - is there anybody who is not under the liability of some possibility of prosecution for having done so who can share their story of when/how their gun saved them?

stay safe.

papa bear

in the case of the motorcycle gang. the one that was running his mouth the most . came up as he was cussing me and stop mid sentence, and back off saying "DAM he's got a gun". they still ran their mouths but stayed back

what i was looking for was stories where have a gun might have saved your life

markand

Never fired a shot, but a couple of gun "saves"

Mid to late 1970's:
Guy snuck into my college apartment at about 3 or 4 AM one night and was creeping down the hall. Floor boards creaking woke me up. I called out to see it it was my roommate in the other bedroom. All quiet. Floor creaked again and I said something to the effect, "I have a shotgun so you better get the blank out of here..." Whoever it was ran down the hall and into the stove, scattering pots and pans, hit the sink, scattering a few dishes, then dived out the kitchen window and down the fire escape, presumably his point of entry. Roommate never stirred until pots and pans went flying. Baltimore City Police said there was a guy or guys doing exactly this, sneaking into apartments in the neighborhood, quietly lifting wallets, cash, watches and any other small valuables they could easily carry. Said few if any people ever were awakened like I was. My shotgun threat was a bluff. I had a shotgun, but for "safety" I had separated the action from the stock and stored them separately. Stupid college student. Never do that again.

About 2004:
Driving on I-64 toward Virginia Beach at about 1 AM on the way to a hotel and business meeting the next day. Stopped at a convenience store somewhere near Yorktown, VA. Four guys took an inordinate interest in my new Lexus SUV. Still had temporary tags. As I pulled into the parking place, they exchanged words and spread out. If I hadn't REALLY had to use the restroom, I would have backed out and driven away. Upon reflection, I should have done several things differently, including backing out and driving away no matter what. In any case, I parked and got out of the car. When the guy closest to me saw my openly carried SIG P-220, he folded his arms and leaned back on the car he was standing next to. The other 3 guys looked puzzled, but none of them did anything. A save? Not sure, but probably.

Last edited:

MamaLiberty

I Am NOT A Victim

Read the rest of the story at the link. Send for the book. Free to anyone who requests it in email.

Since this happened, I've carried openly (mostly) and CC for about 10 years now. I have had three experiences where I was pretty sure the sight of my gun diverted an attack, and one where I know beyond any doubt. I never leave my home unarmed, even though I live in rural Wyoming now. It can happen anywhere.

The Man I Might Have Killed http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/?page_id=846
By Susan Callaway
Certified NRA instructor for handguns, self defense, CRSO

The dedication page of my new book reads: To the man I had to shoot to save my life.

Yes, you read it right. I’ve already had to shoot a man in self defense. Here’s the story.

In 1982 I was living alone at the edge of a small desert town in Southern California. It wasn’t the best of neighborhoods and I was moving the very next day to a better area. Sometimes your luck just runs out.

I woke up about midnight, hearing angry voices outside at the back of the house. There was no fence and people often wandered around at night, but their argument seemed to be escalating and getting closer so I got up and put on a robe. My little dog was barking up a storm.

Looking out the front window, I saw a man standing by the driver’s door of my car on the street, obviously trying to get into it and well illuminated by the full moon.

I got the shotgun and opened the door a crack, then shouted at the man to get away from my car and go away. He just looked at me and went on trying to get into the car.

Then I made a big mistake.

I walked out onto the sidewalk, closing the door behind me to keep the little dog from getting out.

At that point the man started to walk toward me, in a few words telling me just how he would hurt me. I raised the shotgun, but he just sneered and said confidently, “you won’t shoot me” and kept coming.

He was still too close to my car, so I aimed the .410 shotgun just over his head and pulled the trigger.

I saw the shocked look, just before I saw the blood on his face and chest where the tiny #6 birdshot had hit him. He turned and ran away, destroying a low ornamental fence in the process, but never even slowing to untangle it from his legs.

(read the rest at the link: http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/?page_id=846 )

papa bear

Mid to late 1970's:
Guy snuck into my college apartment at about 3 or 4 AM one night and was creeping down the hall. Floor boards creaking woke me up. I called out to see it it was my roommate in the other bedroom. All quiet. Floor creaked again and I said something to the effect, "I have a shotgun so you better get the blank out of here..." Whoever it was ran down the hall and into the stove, scattering pots and pans, hit the sink, scattering a few dishes, then dived out the kitchen window and down the fire escape, presumably his point of entry. Roommate never stirred until pots and pans went flying. Baltimore City Police said there was a guy or guys doing exactly this, sneaking into apartments in the neighborhood, quietly lifting wallets, cash, watches and any other small valuables they could easily carry. Said few if any people ever were awakened like I was. My shotgun threat was a bluff. I had a shotgun, but for "safety" I had separated the action from the stock and stored them separately. Stupid college student. Never do that again.

About 2004:
Driving on I-64 toward Virginia Beach at about 1 AM on the way to a hotel and business meeting the next day. Stopped at a convenience store somewhere near Yorktown, VA. Four guys took an inordinate interest in my new Lexus SUV. Still had temporary tags. As I pulled into the parking place, they exchanged words and spread out. If I hadn't REALLY had to use the restroom, I would have backed out and driven away. Upon reflection, I should have done several things differently, including backing out and driving away no matter what. In any case, I parked and got out of the car. When the guy closest to me saw my openly carried SIG P-220, he folded his arms and leaned back on the car he was standing next to. The other 3 guys looked puzzled, but none of them did anything. A save? Not sure, but probably.

MARK, glad you scared the intruder away. and glad also you won't do that again. i had an aunt one time point an unloaded shot gun at some fighters in her yard. we told her it was lucky somebody didn't kill her.
never point a unloaded gun at someone