Thread: Oregon "no gun" signs and force of law

Oregon "no gun" signs and force of law

So...Do "no guns" signs carry the force of law in Oregon?

and I'm not talking about the signs on "public buildings" like police stations and such. I'm talking about signs on private businesses.

obviously I have to leave if I am asked to leave. but do the "no guns" signs have any authority?

Not at all.

Sent from my Mobile Phone

um, yes at all
    It's a private business, they can make any rule they want. Including keeping you out if carrying.

No guns signs have no force of law in the state of Oregon. You are free to walk right past them and ignore them unless they are on property from which you are lawfully excluded under the Oregon Revised Statutes. With a CHL those are quite limited....court facilities, jails, secure areas of airport terminals. Without a CHL there are a few more.

However, signs on private businesses have NO FORCE OF LAW. IF they ask (or tell) you to leave, you must leave or face trespassing charges but even if they call the police to trespass you, there is no violation unless you fail to leave when asked.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    I've only seen one "no gun" sign in a non-public building, and it was at Jo-ann Fabrics in Eugene. I looked closer at it because it had some legal citation that I knew was bogus and sure enough, the sign was quoting Ohio law. I asked the manager about it, she was clearly against people carrying firearms in her store (I was concealed at the time) and she didn't seem to care that Ohio law was being cited in Oregon. This was back in December of 2012, I sent a letter to corporate pointing out that Ohio law was being cited where it had no authority and they talked around the point:

Thank you for contacting us about the prohibition against concealed weapons and the sign posted at our Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store. After thoughtful consideration, Jo-Ann decided to post the signs to create a comfortable shopping environment and experience for our customers. Jo-Ann recognizes that there are strong feelings on this issue, and that permit-holders are exercising their state right. Jo-Ann also is exercising its right under state law to post the sign.
    I replied once again saying Ohio law doesn't apply in Oregon, to which they never responded.

WTP is correct in his assessment of private property "no gun" signs in Oregon. You can walk right past them while carrying a firearm.

And thank goodness there isn't, I'm sure you all remember the Clackamas Mall shooting, Nick Meli was carrying even though the company that runs that chain of malls does not want them in there. Now I wasn't there, but from the sounds of it he stopped the shooting by letting his presence be known. Just think of how worse it could have been if he did obey the request at the door.

The 'request' is written in print smaller then most books...its not so easy to spot or identify...they do it that way on purpose so people with CHL's dont leave or feel targeted...

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    No guns signs have no force of law in the state of Oregon. You are free to walk right past them and ignore them unless they are on property from which you are lawfully excluded under the Oregon Revised Statutes. With a CHL those are quite limited....court facilities, jails, secure areas of airport terminals. Without a CHL there are a few more.

However, signs on private businesses have NO FORCE OF LAW. IF they ask (or tell) you to leave, you must leave or face trespassing charges but even if they call the police to trespass you, there is no violation unless you fail to leave when asked.
    The correct answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.