• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregon "no gun" signs and force of law

catastrophic_success

So...Do "no guns" signs carry the force of law in Oregon?

and I'm not talking about the signs on "public buildings" like police stations and such. I'm talking about signs on private businesses.

obviously I have to leave if I am asked to leave. but do the "no guns" signs have any authority?

ScottFree

um, yes at all
It's a private business, they can make any rule they want. Including keeping you out if carrying.

We-the-People

No guns signs have no force of law in the state of Oregon. You are free to walk right past them and ignore them unless they are on property from which you are lawfully excluded under the Oregon Revised Statutes. With a CHL those are quite limited....court facilities, jails, secure areas of airport terminals. Without a CHL there are a few more.

However, signs on private businesses have NO FORCE OF LAW. IF they ask (or tell) you to leave, you must leave or face trespassing charges but even if they call the police to trespass you, there is no violation unless you fail to leave when asked.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I've only seen one "no gun" sign in a non-public building, and it was at Jo-ann Fabrics in Eugene. I looked closer at it because it had some legal citation that I knew was bogus and sure enough, the sign was quoting Ohio law. I asked the manager about it, she was clearly against people carrying firearms in her store (I was concealed at the time) and she didn't seem to care that Ohio law was being cited in Oregon. This was back in December of 2012, I sent a letter to corporate pointing out that Ohio law was being cited where it had no authority and they talked around the point:

Thank you for contacting us about the prohibition against concealed weapons and the sign posted at our Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store. After thoughtful consideration, Jo-Ann decided to post the signs to create a comfortable shopping environment and experience for our customers. Jo-Ann recognizes that there are strong feelings on this issue, and that permit-holders are exercising their state right. Jo-Ann also is exercising its right under state law to post the sign.

I replied once again saying Ohio law doesn't apply in Oregon, to which they never responded.

WTP is correct in his assessment of private property "no gun" signs in Oregon. You can walk right past them while carrying a firearm.

BadMoon Risin68

And thank goodness there isn't, I'm sure you all remember the Clackamas Mall shooting, Nick Meli was carrying even though the company that runs that chain of malls does not want them in there. Now I wasn't there, but from the sounds of it he stopped the shooting by letting his presence be known. Just think of how worse it could have been if he did obey the request at the door.

45 Fan

The 'request' is written in print smaller then most books...its not so easy to spot or identify...they do it that way on purpose so people with CHL's dont leave or feel targeted...

VW_Factor

No guns signs have no force of law in the state of Oregon. You are free to walk right past them and ignore them unless they are on property from which you are lawfully excluded under the Oregon Revised Statutes. With a CHL those are quite limited....court facilities, jails, secure areas of airport terminals. Without a CHL there are a few more.

However, signs on private businesses have NO FORCE OF LAW. IF they ask (or tell) you to leave, you must leave or face trespassing charges but even if they call the police to trespass you, there is no violation unless you fail to leave when asked.

The correct answer. :)