Thread: Tom DeLay money laundering verdict overturned,

Tom DeLay money laundering verdict overturned,

HOUSTON – A Texas Court of Appeals in Austin has overturned the conviction of former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, attorney Brian Wice told KVUE sister station KHOU 11 News. DeLay, 66, was convicted in 2010 for his alleged role in a scheme to influence Texas elections.

He was found guilty of money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering after he was accused of helping funnel corporate money to Texas candidates in 2002. In documents released early Thursday, however, an appeals court said the evidence in the case was "legally insufficient to sustain DeLay’s convictions."

The court said all judgments against DeLay were reversed, and the former congressman was formally acquitted.
    http://www.kvue.com/news/state/224406971.html

I wonder what is the value of his tort, and will he pursue it?
    Last edited by Nightmare; 09-19-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I know nothing about the specifics of this case, but how can a judge overturn a verdict on "lack of evidence" after a jury heard the evidence and rendered a guilty verdict ?

DeLay: ‘I can get my concealed weapons license back’ TWT

"Former Rep. Tom DeLay said not much changed after a Texas appeals court overturned his conviction Thursday and acquitted him of charges he violated campaign finance laws — except that he will have a key constitutional right restored.

“I can get my concealed weapon license back,” he told reporters at the Capitol."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...icense-back/?1
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.