• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Camera/Recording in your car

CE310QT

Hi everybody.

Who here has or knows of someone who uses a camera to record when they're out and about in their vehicle?

Any suggestions?

I wish I had a camera last time I got pulled over by a cop. He swore and cursed and yelled at me. No ticket, and I didn't even have the presence of mind to get his p#...

Like to avoid that mistake again.

Yard Sale

I've got a Drift HD on my dash, on a removable mount. I take it off and recharge it at night.

You should also install an app on your smart phone that streams video off-site.

The Big Guy

I've got a Drift HD on my dash, on a removable mount. I take it off and recharge it at night.

You should also install an app on your smart phone that streams video off-site.

Hey Yard, what do you do if you're barely smart enough for a dumb phone. ( I resemble that remark )

TBG

The Big Guy

Any 14 yr old should be able to hook you up. they work cheap, and are plentiful.

I long for the days when my 8 track was the hottest technology on the market. I feel I am being left behind, and hey, that's alright by me. To think I was an engineer once.

TBG

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Back then I was car poor - always tinkering, rebuilding, and adding performance options.

Now I'm gun poor - always tinkering, rebuilding, and adding performance options. :)

Still day in and day out I carry the same Commander size 1911 - A S&W alloy frame from the Performance Shop w/Crimson Trace grips.
We're ol' friends, take good care of each other and for back up have a digital recorder + a video recorder.

Lasjayhawk

My 1st 65 Bonneville had the factory reverb (spring type) I found if you turned the radio off but left the reverb on and went over a speed bump it sounded like someone was banging a gong in the trunk. :lol:

DrakeZ07

A number of us are runnng with this dash on 100% of the time in and around Richmond,Va - I personally have one and find it very effective.

Note that you can pay more........and get the same unit.

http://www.amazon.com/SainSpeed-Mic...dable-display/dp/B004YHVNWO/ref=pd_sim_auto_2

I don't mean to barge in buuuuuuuuuuuut! I been looking into getting a dash-cam set-up for everyday use, and that thing has good reviews, I'm looking into buying it.

Myself, I use my GoPro Hero 1, and 2. the 1 is mounted externally, and wired straight into a data set storage box with HDD capabilities, the hero 2 has the same ability, and is mounted on my dash with a fish eye. Both are good cameras, and awesome durabilities, and both have served me well in my storm chasing adventures. I'm looking to get a Hero 3 as a self-gift for X-mas, but this sainspeed dash cam will make it easy for me to get multiple views while chasing, and for daily driving, saving my Hero's from the wear and tear of Kentucky roads.

Another suggestion, if someone is hard up on money, and cant afford a GoPro, or what have you, they could just throw a laptop in their car, and connect a webcam to it and duct tape it to their dashboard! That's how I did it when I started out storm chasing locally, when I was younger, and poorer!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't mean to barge in buuuuuuuuuuuut! I been looking into getting a dash-cam set-up for everyday use, and that thing has good reviews, I'm looking into buying it.

Myself, I use my GoPro Hero 1, and 2. the 1 is mounted externally, and wired straight into a data set storage box with HDD capabilities, the hero 2 has the same ability, and is mounted on my dash with a fish eye. Both are good cameras, and awesome durabilities, and both have served me well in my storm chasing adventures. I'm looking to get a Hero 3 as a self-gift for X-mas, but this sainspeed dash cam will make it easy for me to get multiple views while chasing, and for daily driving, saving my Hero's from the wear and tear of Kentucky roads.

Another suggestion, if someone is hard up on money, and cant afford a GoPro, or what have you, they could just throw a laptop in their car, and connect a webcam to it and duct tape it to their dashboard! That's how I did it when I started out storm chasing locally, when I was younger, and poorer!

I considered it a throw away if I had trouble with it. Yet when the first mount broke, they sent be an upgrade replacement at no charge.

I've found that MCV Hospital non-LEO security literally runs away from video cams when the try to enforce extra-legal rules w/o authority :lol:

davidmcbeth

Banned
My 1st 65 Bonneville had the factory reverb (spring type) I found if you turned the radio off but left the reverb on and went over a speed bump it sounded like someone was banging a gong in the trunk. :lol:

Hey I had one of those too ... I wrecked it ! Not a good high speed turning car as I found out the hard way. And it was a sweet vehicle.

Upgraded to a '67 Buick Wildcat ! Then a '73 Delta 88 (with a fully finished basement). Then a '75 Bonneville with a hood about a mile long. Wrecked them all ! And all in fabulous fashion ! Taught those trees a lesson. When gas was 50-70 Cents/gal ... gas mileage meant nothing; pedal to the metal baby !

I see that car on ebay sometimes ... 6500-12000 depending on condition ... very tempting ...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
A number of us are runnng with this dash on 100% of the time in and around Richmond,Va - I personally have one and find it very effective.

Note that you can pay more........and get the same unit.

http://www.amazon.com/SainSpeed-Mic...dable-display/dp/B004YHVNWO/ref=pd_sim_auto_2

Okay, so based on this recommendation I bought one.

But I'm so bad at reading "Engrish" that I can't figure out how to use it.

Anyone willing to rewrite the manual into actual every-day English for us?

I've had it for a week now and fear it will just get thrown in the corner of the shop because I'm tired of trying to figure it out. It's got great reviews for working, but the same reviews say it takes a while to figure out the instructions. I'm too old and tired to work that hard at figuring out what someone is actually trying to tell me to do.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Okay, so based on this recommendation I bought one.

But I'm so bad at reading "Engrish" that I can't figure out how to use it.

Anyone willing to rewrite the manual into actual every-day English for us?

I've had it for a week now and fear it will just get thrown in the corner of the shop because I'm tired of trying to figure it out. It's got great reviews for working, but the same reviews say it takes a while to figure out the instructions. I'm too old and tired to work that hard at figuring out what someone is actually trying to tell me to do.

Simplest procedure after mounting unit to windshield is to engage (push in) power supply with the ignition off, turn on unit with the left hand button, wait for the test image to cycle to normal camera view, then start engine - you are now recording in real time.

After that initial set up, simple remember to disconnect power cord before cutting ignition off. That way it will be ready to go next time by just connecting to power (push in supply cord) before starting ignition.

I've hidden the power wire behind the pillar/windshield trim and across under the dash to receptacle = no hanging wires.

Beyond that there are myriads of functions available thru use of right hand button i.e. close-up (pan in & out) - experiment a bit....it's fun.

The transition from day to night recording is automatic.

wildbill7459

..........bambuser......

I use a cam on my windshield to record while i am drive to protect me from insurance scammers. The best way to record an interaction with a cop out side your car is to use a smart phone and with an app called BAMBUSER. It records and uploads the video to their website instantly, so if a cops tell you to stop recording.. just put your phone in sleep mode (NOT OFF), it will still be recording and uploading to their server.... soo if the cops destroys your phone you will have video proof of the interaction.

Also you should have a password lock on your phone, if you dont have a password the cop could unlock the phone and stop the app from recording

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zvZ1LkdO0