• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry on millitary bases?

davidmcbeth

Banned
While I mostly agree with what has been said here I would go one step further. It is my opinion that military personnel should be required to carry an issued firearm when on base/post.

Like I would want some desk jockey to be required to carry ... they can't tie their own shoes let alone handle a gun.

Was just in a fast food place when 3 army guys get in line complaining about their squeaky desk chairs....I told them to shut up ... guy says "we're just getting our dinner" so I told him to quit whining about a squeaky chair...and if you don't want comments, don't wear your fatigues in public

Last edited:

solus

normnally when i see three enlisted service members in line with their BDUs, I buy them lunch and to say thank you for your service.

ipse

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Like I would want some desk jockey to be required to carry ... they can't tie their own shoes let alone handle a gun...

Firearms certification should be a requirement of graduation from basic training. Can't handle one safely, you shouldn't be in the military at all.

That's how it used to be.

Expert proficiency is not a requirement for desk duty, but basic skill and safety should be.

Arin Morris

Military personnel should be issued a weapon upon entry to Basic, and keep that weapon at the ready until the end of their term of service...

I'm not military, but IMO, they should get to keep their sidearm after being honorably discharged as additional compensation for time served.

Aknazer

I'm not military, but IMO, they should get to keep their sidearm after being honorably discharged as additional compensation for time served.

We don't get issued a sidearm. You check one out for your duties and then turn it in at the end of your shift. The closest thing to being issued a weapon would be when one deploys and has to carry it any time they are out of their room (with a few exceptions) or for certain SOF who get a "personal" gun to set up how they choose. And since you don't get to keep either of these, they are more like long-term borrowing than actually being "issued" the gear to keep.

Though I do wish we were issued a sidearm and got to keep it. I wouldn't mind being issued a weapon and being able to practice with my work gear when I choose.

SFCRetired

I am an "old soldier". I remember when, back in the eighties, my post had an "open range" day every Wednesday. The AD military, their guests, and the DOD/DA civilians could bring their personal weapons and fire. The Provost Marshal back then told me that I was legal to carry as long as I put my weapon in the trunk of my car at my first stop on post and only retrieve it when leaving post.

If I remember correctly, we owe William Jefferson (I did not have sex with that woman) Clinton for the present mess.

For the record, there are enlisted, both junior and senior, and officers, again both junior and senior, that I would not trust with a water pistol. Those folks are a small portion of the total force. I will also agree that, as someone else stated, any service member, regardless of branch, should have at least the minimum skills associated with a combat infantryman.

eye95

I am an "old soldier". I remember when, back in the eighties, my post had an "open range" day every Wednesday. The AD military, their guests, and the DOD/DA civilians could bring their personal weapons and fire. The Provost Marshal back then told me that I was legal to carry as long as I put my weapon in the trunk of my car at my first stop on post and only retrieve it when leaving post.

If I remember correctly, we owe William Jefferson (I did not have sex with that woman) Clinton for the present mess.

For the record, there are enlisted, both junior and senior, and officers, again both junior and senior, that I would not trust with a water pistol. Those folks are a small portion of the total force. I will also agree that, as someone else stated, any service member, regardless of branch, should have at least the minimum skills associated with a combat infantryman.

There are citizens (in greater percentages than in the military) whom I would not trust with a water pistol, but until the prove their unworthiness (and then only after due process), they should not be denied their RKBA. That is even more true on base. Therefore, the RKBA should be restored in all areas of the base that are not sensitive enough to be guarded by a secondary armed guard in addition to the one at the gate.