• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Refused to provide a gun locker

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Can you see how that would play out? When reporting for work the "administrator" wouldn't be available until well after the "clock in" time for the employee thus making him/her late for work. At the end of the day the "administrator" would be "in a meeting" or off the premises until several hours after "clock out" time.

They'd just fire the employee for being chronically late.

Oh the ways that a government employer can "eff with" an employee who wants to push an issue they don't like.

The administration BUILDING not the administrator.

Sjzupe

New Twist - I am a private citizen getting the same treatment at Coyote Ridge

It would appear that while RCW 9.94.043 covers me to carry to the facility; the Administrator Jeffrey Uttecht, the Superintendent of Coyote Ridge Corrections Center does not feel, "legally mandated to accommodate or accept weapons for safe storage," by the "Further Provision" clause of 9.94.043 -

Any suggestions for me as I would like to visit an inmate there?

BTW - I have a squeaky clean record, no reason for the absurd refusal to allow me to check my firearm(s) at the admin building before entry to the facility.

kparker

It would appear that while RCW 9.94.043 covers me to carry to the facility; the Administrator Jeffrey Uttecht, the Superintendent of Coyote Ridge Corrections Center does not feel, "legally mandated to accommodate or accept weapons for safe storage," by the "Further Provision" clause of 9.94.043 -

BTW - I have a squeaky clean record, no reason for the absurd refusal to allow me to check my firearm(s) at the admin building before entry to the facility.

You need to read, and carefully compare-and-contrast 9.94.043 with RCW 9.41.300 (1). In particular, note that the requirement for court facilities to provide storage is carefully spelled out; no similar requirement is made for correctional facilities.

Thus, I would read 9.94.043 to mean that you CAN check a weapon if the facility offers that service, and that you CANNOT be charged with violating this section if you, "upon entering the correctional institution premises, proceed directly along an access road to the administration building and promptly" ATTEMPT to check your handgun... but I just don't see where there's anything that says they must accept it.

Difdi

You need to read, and carefully compare-and-contrast 9.94.043 with RCW 9.41.300 (1). In particular, note that the requirement for court facilities to provide storage is carefully spelled out; no similar requirement is made for correctional facilities.

Thus, I would read 9.94.043 to mean that you CAN check a weapon if the facility offers that service, and that you CANNOT be charged with violating this section if you, "upon entering the correctional institution premises, proceed directly along an access road to the administration building and promptly" ATTEMPT to check your handgun... but I just don't see where there's anything that says they must accept it.

By that standard a court house could deny someone access to the lock boxes and still comply with the law because they have them for people to use, they're just not letting them use them. The legislative intent is quite clear in both cases, unless you tie yourself in linguistic knots trying to miscontrue them.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

Sizupe you have it right, kparker not so much.

it reads;

RCW 9.94.043
Deadly weapons — Possession on premises by person not a prisoner — Penalty.

A person, other than a person serving a sentence in a penal institution of this state, is guilty of possession of contraband on the premises of a state correctional institution in the first degree if, without authorization to do so, the person knowingly possesses or has under his or her control a deadly weapon on or in the buildings or adjacent grounds subject to the care, control, or supervision of a state correctional institution. Deadly weapon is used as defined in RCW 9A.04.110: PROVIDED, That such correctional buildings, grounds, or property are properly posted pursuant to RCW 9.94.047, and such person has knowingly entered thereon: PROVIDED FURTHER, That the provisions of this section do not apply to a person licensed pursuant to RCW 9.41.070 who,
upon entering the correctional institution premises, proceeds directly along an access road to the administration building and promptly checks his or her firearm(s) with the appropriate authorities.
The person may reclaim his or her firearm(s) upon leaving, but he or she must immediately and directly depart from the premises.

Possession of contraband on the premises of a state correctional institution in the first degree is a class B felony.

It does not spell it like for the courts but none the less it tells you how to and where to go to check the firearm and picking up and departure as well.

I've already accomplished this very thing at the Yakima County Jail in protest of the Jail Chief and with out the support of the Prosecuting Attorney but the Commissioners and Council supported it and today citizens are offered a place to secure their weapon based on this RCW.

Last edited: