• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Opinions/Experiences With Snub Nose Revolvers?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP you do not pull your gun unless you intend to use it. Decocking is simple, pull the trigger while pointing towards the threat, otherwise you already screwed up by pulling your weapon.

Rubbish. Show me the state law that forbids defensively drawing to low ready in order to not get caught behind OODA loop?

I'd love to see this psuedo-samurai code point demolished in my lifetime. "Don't pull your gun unless you intend to use it!" Phffft. If I've got a potential assailant 25' away making verbal threats and holding a contact weapon, my gun is coming outa the holster to low ready.

Last edited:

PALO

Rubbish. Show me the state law that forbids defensively drawing to low ready in order to not get caught behind OODA loop?

I'd love to see this psuedo-samurai code point demolished in my lifetime. "Don't pull your gun unless you intend to use it!" Phffft. If I've got a potential assailant 25' away making verbal threats and holding a contact weapon, my gun is coming outa the holster to low ready.

I agree. And I am not stating opinion. I am stating historical fact. I have responded to many many incidents where average citizens "drew down" on car thieves, prowlers, etc. and there is no problem whatosever with doing it. ESPECIALLY if they just draw to low ready, but I've even had incidents where they drew and pointed it at the person and no arrest was made, no charges filed, no gun seized etc. If Joe Homeowner approaches Mr Car Prowler outside his house with gun drawn, and even with gun pointed at prowler, no cop in my jurisdiction will bat an eye. If the guy runs away, of course Joe cannot shoot, but it gives him the benefit of having the drop if the guy turns on him and attacks him. Perfectly acceptable and again, I am not speaking opinion, I am talking actual experience in many incidents where people DID draw their gun without legal consequence in such circ's

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Maybe what we are doing is running up against different terminologies.

If there is an imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury the use of lethal force is allowed. Pulling the handgun to low ready or pointing from 1/4 hip to full isoceles to actually shooting are all the same use of lethal force. What we in Virginia have to watch out for is the dread brandishing charge if we do not shoot- maybe one day we will see a defense strategy based on the fact that the presentation of the handgun in response to the imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury caused the assailant to stop short of carrying out that imminent threat. Maybe.

In other words, Citizen, I fully intended to use it but the sucker backed down before I had the chance to get my sights on him.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

As User has explained many times, you are either justified in using deadly force or you are not. Anybody who makes the mistake of pointing or low ready a gun at me will get drilled with out giving any opportunity to say ooooops. Unless a person is a LEO drawing a firearm is considered imminent threat of serious injury or death.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Maybe what we are doing is running up against different terminologies.

If there is an imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury the use of lethal force is allowed. Pulling the handgun to low ready or pointing from 1/4 hip to full isoceles to actually shooting are all the same use of lethal force. What we in Virginia have to watch out for is the dread brandishing charge if we do not shoot- maybe one day we will see a defense strategy based on the fact that the presentation of the handgun in response to the imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury caused the assailant to stop short of carrying out that imminent threat. Maybe.

In other words, Citizen, I fully intended to use it but the sucker backed down before I had the chance to get my sights on him.

stay safe.

As User has explained many times, you are either justified in using deadly force or you are not. Anybody who makes the mistake of pointing or low ready a gun at me will get drilled with out giving any opportunity to say ooooops. Unless a person is a LEO drawing a firearm is considered imminent threat of serious injury or death.

I pray that none of us will ever have to make that decision; nevertheless, it something that we must all consider.

Someone whose opinion I value very highly once said, "It will be the BG's choice."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Well, yes. And, you're not going to be threatening anyone to make them draw to low-ready defensively. If someone draws on you, its almost guaranteed to be an offensive action.

WalkingWolf

Well, yes. And, you're not going to be threatening anyone to make them draw to low-ready defensively. If someone draws on you, its almost guaranteed to be an offensive action.

Correctumundo! So we both agree that drawing on someone is a aggressive offensive action that is commonly considered aggravated assault in most states. UNLESS one is either a LEO OR in the act of a legitimate case of self defense which not firing just pointing would be IMO and possibly the courts the same as firing a warning shot.

Again anyone makes that mistake with me, no matter the circumstances I WILL draw and fire without any hesitation!

bunnspecial

The Colt Detective Special is the first, and IMO it remains the best although it's also not without its faults.

I have the factory hammer shroud on my DS, which is ugly but serves its purpose well. Mine also has the unshrouded ejector, which makes the gun a bit more compact. 6 shots are always better than 5.

I also have an S&W model 36, and a recent production S&W 438 airweight. Between the two, the 36 is definitely nicer to shoot at the range although the 438 carries much nicer. The weight difference isn't that great, and I lean more toward the 36 for carry just because I shoot it better.

Incidentally, although snubs are designed as CC guns, there's nothing stopping them from being used as OC guns also. I generally carry a full size revolver when I'm OCing(usually a K or N frame Smith) but the short barrel of a snub is nice when I'm in and out of the car a lot.

For CC, the smaller size of the Chief's Special is to an advantage but the Detective Special really isn't that much larger. Most of the bulk of the DS, at least in my experience, comes from its larger grip frame, and not so much from its larger diameter cylinder.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Correctumundo! So we both agree that drawing on someone is a aggressive offensive action that is commonly considered aggravated assault in most states. UNLESS one is either a LEO OR in the act of a legitimate case of self defense which not firing just pointing would be IMO and possibly the courts the same as firing a warning shot.

Again anyone makes that mistake with me, no matter the circumstances I WILL draw and fire without any hesitation!

No. We don't both agree on that. Drawing defensively is a whole different kettle of fish. A cop or prosecutor may misapply aggravated assault statutes to a defensive situation, but a good attorney ought to be able to slam that down hard.

Attorney: Officer Jones, you testified that my client, the defendant, threatened Mr. Razorknife by drawing his pistol, is that correct?

Cop: Yes.

Attorney: And, Mr. Razorknife had his knife out at the time?

Cop: Yes.

Attorney: Tell us Officer Jones. Would you draw your gun in the same situation?

Cop: Ummmm...

Its too stupid. The aggravated assault statutes were never aimed at legitimate defenders. Basically, applying the law that way requires me to wait until I have to apply lethal force, possibly killing someone, rather than avoid killing that person by showing him I am able to defend myself and possibly dissuading the attack before it actually occurs.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...can you make this shot?
Scotty's Castle in Death Valley has a shotgun splitter between the door and window so the defender can supposedly get the guy at each with one shot. Of course, it was made of thin sheet metal and was just for looks, but maybe the bad guys at the door and window didn't know that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Scotty's Castle in Death Valley has a shotgun splitter between the door and window so the defender can supposedly get the guy at each with one shot. Of course, it was made of thin sheet metal and was just for looks, but maybe the bad guys at the door and window didn't know that.

Scotty had this installed next to his bedroom's private entrance

If robbers showed up, waiting to ambush him on either side of the door, he could stick a shotgun through the hole in the wall behind this metal plate and it would deflect the buckshot left and right, hitting both of his attackers at once.

bebop4one

Update

So now that my WA CPL finally came in the mail I was inspired to go shopping on Saturday. I did decide to go with a Ruger LCP. I love the feel and the look. I still want a little snub nose but anything smith and wesson is just so darned expensive! Well, the bodyguard was priced pretty reasonable but I have to tell you that the built in laser is just to gimmicky.