Thread: Employees expressed concern that they do not know how to respond to an active shooter

Employees expressed concern that they do not know how to respond to an active shooter

So my employer (which prohibits firearms) sent out this direction on the subject. I can't decide wether I find it sad or amusing.

An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a

confined and populated area. In most cases, active shooters use firearms and there is no pattern

or method to their selection of victims.

Active shooter situations are unpredictable and evolve quickly. Typically, the immediate

deployment of law enforcement is required to stop the shooting and mitigate harm to victims.

Active shooter situations are often over within 10 to 15 minutes before law enforcement arrives

on the scene. It is critical that individuals must be prepared both mentally and physically to deal

with an active shooter situation.

During an active shooter and small arms assault, call 911 at the first safe opportunity and take the

following immediate actions:

1. Shelter-in-place if indoors and not within the immediate vicinity of the shooter; initiate Lock

Down Procedures:

a. Remain inside – do not leave the safety of your shelter

b. Lock all exterior doors and windows

c. Go to a shelter room (preferably without exterior doors or windows) and lock all

interior doors leading to the shelter room

d. If accessible, monitor local announcements or media broadcast for emergency

information and instructions

e. Do not leave the safety of the shelter room until notified that it is safe to do so by law

enforcement personnel

2. If within the immediate vicinity of the shooter:

a. Stay calm and avoid panic

b. If safely possible, get out or away at the earliest opportunity

c. Leave your belongings behind

d. Avoid being seen or heard by the shooter

e. Hide, preferably behind a safe barrier in a place with an alternative escape route

f. If inside a room, lock and/or barricade the door

g. Be still and silent

h. Trust your instincts

3. If safe to do so, contact law enforcement personnel and provide the following information:

a. The shooter’s location

b. Your location

c. Number of shooters

d. Shooter description such as gender, race, height, weight, hair, clothing
    Last edited by t33j; 09-19-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

They forgot the most important one; #4...

An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a

confined and populated area. In most cases, active shooters use firearms and there is no pattern

or method to their selection of victims.

Active shooter situations are unpredictable and evolve quickly. Typically, the immediate

deployment of law enforcement is required to stop the shooting and mitigate harm to victims.

Active shooter situations are often over within 10 to 15 minutes before law enforcement arrives

on the scene. It is critical that individuals must be prepared both mentally and physically to deal

with an active shooter situation.

During an active shooter and small arms assault, call 911 at the first safe opportunity and take the

following immediate actions:

1. Shelter-in-place if indoors and not within the immediate vicinity of the shooter; initiate Lock

Down Procedures:

a. Remain inside – do not leave the safety of your shelter

b. Lock all exterior doors and windows

c. Go to a shelter room (preferably without exterior doors or windows) and lock all

interior doors leading to the shelter room

d. If accessible, monitor local announcements or media broadcast for emergency

information and instructions

e. Do not leave the safety of the shelter room until notified that it is safe to do so by law

enforcement personnel

2. If within the immediate vicinity of the shooter:

a. Stay calm and avoid panic

b. If safely possible, get out or away at the earliest opportunity

c. Leave your belongings behind

d. Avoid being seen or heard by the shooter

e. Hide, preferably behind a safe barrier in a place with an alternative escape route

f. If inside a room, lock and/or barricade the door

g. Be still and silent

h. Trust your instincts

3. If safe to do so, contact law enforcement personnel and provide the following information:

a. The shooter’s location

b. Your location

c. Number of shooters

d. Shooter description such as gender, race, height, weight, hair, clothing

4. Huddle in a corner, place your head between your knees.....and kiss your defenseless @ goodbye
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-20-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: corrected typo at top, 3 = 4

that kind of reminds me of chickens, or what sheep do when they are being slaughtered.

just bunch up and hide your turn will come
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Founder's Club Member
    SECURITY MEMO 0012321

Acme Manufacturing Co.

Distribution: All office personnel

Subject: Active Shooter

In the event of an active shooter situation, the following procedure will apply.

1. Shoot back.

Note: In keeping with this company's standards for quality and excellence, employees are expected to terminate the situation with one magazine or less.
    Last edited by Citizen; 09-19-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Several weeks ago my employer distributed flyers on this subject. I glanced over it and was astounded to find direction to essentially scrounge around to find something you can use as a weapon in case you are directly confronted by the shooter.

Need more duct tape to comprehend that one... if it's OK to scrounge around and find a weapon when confronted, then why won't they let us possess a weapon before we are confronted?

That flyer seems to me like a 6 figure settlement waiting to happen - if you survive the shooter. They acknowledge the need for a weapon, but then deny you the ability to keep one.

TFred

You can bet the CEO and top admins will have some SD options.

Banned
    Self destruct sequence activated .... 10,9,,...

We can't even have firearms in our cars parked in company owned parking lots. My plan is to head for nearest exit. If not possible I will head for the executive offices. If the shooter follows me he will become distracted by the higher value targets I will be shoving in his direction. :>)
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    They forgot the most important one; #3...
    F350 - think you meant " They forgot the most important one; #4..." There was already a #3.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    For companies looking for some help on the subject, we offer consulting services to help businesses find a game plan.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    F350 - think you meant " They forgot the most important one; #4..." There was already a #3.
    Missed that, thanks, corrected

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    h. Trust your instincts
    My instincts are to be properly equipped to defend myself....

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Several weeks ago my employer distributed flyers on this subject. I glanced over it and was astounded to find direction to essentially scrounge around to find something you can use as a weapon in case you are directly confronted by the shooter.

Need more duct tape to comprehend that one... if it's OK to scrounge around and find a weapon when confronted, then why won't they let us possess a weapon before we are confronted?

That flyer seems to me like a 6 figure settlement waiting to happen - if you survive the shooter. They acknowledge the need for a weapon, but then deny you the ability to keep one.

TFred
    Suggest you set up a demonstration. Arm yourself with an airsoft gun, announce that you are simulating an active shooter (drill), remind him that he needs to start scrounging around for a weapon, then pepper him from top to bottom with plastic BBs.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    SECURITY MEMO 0012321

Acme Manufacturing Co.

Distribution: All office personnel

Subject: Active Shooter

In the event of an active shooter situation, the following procedure will apply.

1. Shoot back.

Note: In keeping with this company's standards for quality and excellence, employees are expected to terminate the situation with one magazine or less.
    I thought about replying with, "I'd rather just be able to shoot back." but then thought better about it...
    Last edited by t33j; 09-20-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis