• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Employees expressed concern that they do not know how to respond to an active shooter

t33j

So my employer (which prohibits firearms) sent out this direction on the subject. I can't decide wether I find it sad or amusing.

An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a

confined and populated area. In most cases, active shooters use firearms and there is no pattern

or method to their selection of victims.

Active shooter situations are unpredictable and evolve quickly. Typically, the immediate

deployment of law enforcement is required to stop the shooting and mitigate harm to victims.

Active shooter situations are often over within 10 to 15 minutes before law enforcement arrives

on the scene. It is critical that individuals must be prepared both mentally and physically to deal

with an active shooter situation.

During an active shooter and small arms assault, call 911 at the first safe opportunity and take the

following immediate actions:

1. Shelter-in-place if indoors and not within the immediate vicinity of the shooter; initiate Lock

Down Procedures:

a. Remain inside – do not leave the safety of your shelter

b. Lock all exterior doors and windows

c. Go to a shelter room (preferably without exterior doors or windows) and lock all

interior doors leading to the shelter room

d. If accessible, monitor local announcements or media broadcast for emergency

information and instructions

e. Do not leave the safety of the shelter room until notified that it is safe to do so by law

enforcement personnel

2. If within the immediate vicinity of the shooter:

a. Stay calm and avoid panic

b. If safely possible, get out or away at the earliest opportunity

c. Leave your belongings behind

d. Avoid being seen or heard by the shooter

e. Hide, preferably behind a safe barrier in a place with an alternative escape route

f. If inside a room, lock and/or barricade the door

g. Be still and silent

h. Trust your instincts

3. If safe to do so, contact law enforcement personnel and provide the following information:

a. The shooter’s location

b. Your location

c. Number of shooters

d. Shooter description such as gender, race, height, weight, hair, clothing

Last edited:

F350

They forgot the most important one; #4...

An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a

confined and populated area. In most cases, active shooters use firearms and there is no pattern

or method to their selection of victims.

Active shooter situations are unpredictable and evolve quickly. Typically, the immediate

deployment of law enforcement is required to stop the shooting and mitigate harm to victims.

Active shooter situations are often over within 10 to 15 minutes before law enforcement arrives

on the scene. It is critical that individuals must be prepared both mentally and physically to deal

with an active shooter situation.

During an active shooter and small arms assault, call 911 at the first safe opportunity and take the

following immediate actions:

1. Shelter-in-place if indoors and not within the immediate vicinity of the shooter; initiate Lock

Down Procedures:

a. Remain inside – do not leave the safety of your shelter

b. Lock all exterior doors and windows

c. Go to a shelter room (preferably without exterior doors or windows) and lock all

interior doors leading to the shelter room

d. If accessible, monitor local announcements or media broadcast for emergency

information and instructions

e. Do not leave the safety of the shelter room until notified that it is safe to do so by law

enforcement personnel

2. If within the immediate vicinity of the shooter:

a. Stay calm and avoid panic

b. If safely possible, get out or away at the earliest opportunity

c. Leave your belongings behind

d. Avoid being seen or heard by the shooter

e. Hide, preferably behind a safe barrier in a place with an alternative escape route

f. If inside a room, lock and/or barricade the door

g. Be still and silent

h. Trust your instincts

3. If safe to do so, contact law enforcement personnel and provide the following information:

a. The shooter’s location

b. Your location

c. Number of shooters

d. Shooter description such as gender, race, height, weight, hair, clothing

4. Huddle in a corner, place your head between your knees.....and kiss your defenseless @ goodbye

Last edited by a moderator:

papa bear

that kind of reminds me of chickens, or what sheep do when they are being slaughtered.

just bunch up and hide your turn will come

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SECURITY MEMO 0012321

Acme Manufacturing Co.

Distribution: All office personnel

Subject: Active Shooter

In the event of an active shooter situation, the following procedure will apply.

1. Shoot back.

Note: In keeping with this company's standards for quality and excellence, employees are expected to terminate the situation with one magazine or less.

Last edited:

TFred

Several weeks ago my employer distributed flyers on this subject. I glanced over it and was astounded to find direction to essentially scrounge around to find something you can use as a weapon in case you are directly confronted by the shooter.

Need more duct tape to comprehend that one... if it's OK to scrounge around and find a weapon when confronted, then why won't they let us possess a weapon before we are confronted?

That flyer seems to me like a 6 figure settlement waiting to happen - if you survive the shooter. They acknowledge the need for a weapon, but then deny you the ability to keep one.

TFred

mobeewan

We can't even have firearms in our cars parked in company owned parking lots. My plan is to head for nearest exit. If not possible I will head for the executive offices. If the shooter follows me he will become distracted by the higher value targets I will be shoving in his direction. :>)

paramedic70002

Several weeks ago my employer distributed flyers on this subject. I glanced over it and was astounded to find direction to essentially scrounge around to find something you can use as a weapon in case you are directly confronted by the shooter.

Need more duct tape to comprehend that one... if it's OK to scrounge around and find a weapon when confronted, then why won't they let us possess a weapon before we are confronted?

That flyer seems to me like a 6 figure settlement waiting to happen - if you survive the shooter. They acknowledge the need for a weapon, but then deny you the ability to keep one.

TFred

Suggest you set up a demonstration. Arm yourself with an airsoft gun, announce that you are simulating an active shooter (drill), remind him that he needs to start scrounging around for a weapon, then pepper him from top to bottom with plastic BBs.

t33j

SECURITY MEMO 0012321

Acme Manufacturing Co.

Distribution: All office personnel

Subject: Active Shooter

In the event of an active shooter situation, the following procedure will apply.

1. Shoot back.

Note: In keeping with this company's standards for quality and excellence, employees are expected to terminate the situation with one magazine or less.

I thought about replying with, "I'd rather just be able to shoot back." but then thought better about it...

Last edited: