Thread: Printing

Printing

Hi All

New guy here. I know this is an open carry site, but I was curious about Oregon's laws on printing when CC'ing. How do they draw the line?

Thanks.

You have the right to OPENLY Carry a Firearm in Oregon...so if your cover garment doesnt quite cover it, you are openly carrying...or poorly cc'ing it...wait...what was the issue?...printing?....i dont carry a printer...

Open Carry is legal.

Why would you think "printing" to be an issue?

Oregon code 166 section. Read the sections on weapons. Its not long, its straight forward and takes about 30 minutes of your time.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

heh heh...let me explain.

I was having an academic discussion about the printing thing and asked the same question - what's the difference if OC is legal? The only answer I ever get is something along the lines of "concealed means concealed" which really isn't an answer. I've never heard of anyone arrested for printing much less cited a statute saying that you'll be drawn and quartered if you do. It was just a coupla guys having a beer and wondering.

We can't find a specific law that defines it, but I get crosseyed reading those statutes anyway - I may have missed it.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Why would you think "printing" to be an issue?
    Likely because it is in some states, and the OP is here to get information and opinion on the issue?

If you have an Oregon CHL. You can carry your gun however you want.

fully concealed, partly concealed, poorly concealed and printing harder than a fed-ex during the holidays, or strapped to your face if you choose.

having a CHL does not obligate anyone to actually conceal.
    Last edited by catastrophic_success; 09-21-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanWJ View Post
    heh heh...let me explain.

I was having an academic discussion about the printing thing and asked the same question - what's the difference if OC is legal? The only answer I ever get is something along the lines of "concealed means concealed" which really isn't an answer. I've never heard of anyone arrested for printing much less cited a statute saying that you'll be drawn and quartered if you do. It was just a coupla guys having a beer and wondering.

We can't find a specific law that defines it, but I get crosseyed reading those statutes anyway - I may have missed it.

Thanks again.
    Asking the question, "Show me where the statute requires concealment" usually shuts down that ridiculous assertion.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Oregon may be an open carry state, but not in Multnomah County or a few cities like Oregon City, Tigard, and Beaverton. I live in Beaverton where open carry is only allowed if you have a CHL and there is a city employee that carries concealed but prints enough that I can tell he has something with a hand grip similar in shape to a 1911. The guy has been an employee for many years and works in the same building as the city police so clearly a little printing isn't a problem.

Printing is mostly psychological because you know it is there and have been made to feel guilty about it. The only person that will be able to tell is someone else that carries and knows what to look for. If all else fails get one of those shirts that says "Armed with a 9mm", the gun haters will be too flabbergasted to look anywhere else but at the shirt.

Thanks for the input guys.

I carry concealed OWB and have always figured I'd just tuck my shirt in if someone complained about me printing. Don't like a gun outline? Well here's the whole enchilada then.

It's nice to know exactly what the law says though. I swear they leave things ambiguous just for the purpose of busting someone. If we're not armed with both a weapon and a law degree, it seems like we're always a half-step from having a guaranteed right turned into a legal nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Oregon may be an open carry state, but not in Multnomah County or a few cities like Oregon City, Tigard, and Beaverton. I live in Beaverton where open carry is only allowed if you have a CHL ... snip
    Correction (in part): 166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places

(1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015 (General definitions).

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
    (c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

So you can OC in these cities unloaded, or with a CHL OC loaded.

Also note: ORS 166.170 preempts the "unloaded magazine" part that Portland and other cities have inserted into their unloaded carry ordinances, but it has not been officially challenged in court.
    ORS 166.xxx link
    Last edited by Lord Sega; 09-23-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sega View Post
    So you can OC in these cities unloaded
    True. There is a video about that on YouTube by TheYankeeMarshal called "Carry Condition Tactical Butterscotch".

True. There is a video about that on YouTube by TheYankeeMarshal called "Carry Condition Tactical Butterscotch".
    I wouldn't put much stock in what that guy says. He's proven on multiple occasions that he's not a 2nd amendment supporter unless you do it HIS way.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    I wouldn't put much stock in what that guy says. He's proven on multiple occasions that he's not a 2nd amendment supporter unless you do it HIS way.
    I think the same could be said about 90% of people claiming to support the 2A. How many people claiming to support the 2A are foaming at the mouth because Mattimusmaximus exercised his right to walk down the street with a shotgun? I for one try not to berate a fellow 2A advocate in public because my fight is not with them.

I think the same could be said about 90% of people claiming to support the 2A. How many people claiming to support the 2A are foaming at the mouth because Mattimusmaximus exercised his right to walk down the street with a shotgun? I for one try not to berate a fellow 2A advocate in public because my fight is not with them.
    Looking at the outcome of most of Matts intereactions, proves to me his methods don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavtrooper View Post
    Looking at the outcome of most of Matts intereactions, proves to me his methods don't work.
    Does he still have his guns?
    Has he been arrested, charged, and convicted?

Guess he's doing it in accordance with the LAW.

That's all that matters, be law abiding and exercise your rights!
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by catastrophic_success View Post
    If you have an Oregon CHL. You can carry your gun however you want.

I am so sick of this kind of attitude. You keep your freaking PERMISSION SLIP.

I HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT! I CAN CARRY MY GUN HOWEVER I WANT!

Seriously, CCW permits are 100% unconstitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    Does he still have his guns?
    Has he been arrested, charged, and convicted?

Guess he's doing it in accordance with the LAW.

That's all that matters, be law abiding and exercise your rights!
    Really? I thought it was about education

Quote Originally Posted by Cavtrooper View Post
    Really? I thought it was about education
    You want a political agenda, you can have it. In the end, the news medias portrayal of him was as a peaceful, civic minded, law abiding citizen walking down the street; which the school then proceeded to bully by going into lockdown.

I think the only one who is on the wrongside of the fence are those that feel that they alone hold the answer to the question...that or the guys who believe the NRA truly cares about the 2nd Amendment...because to be honest...if the political war ends and the 2A was truly upheld, why would we need the NRA?...
    Last edited by 45 Fan; 09-30-2013 at 06:47 AM.

Banned
    The NRA doesn't give a crap about the 2nd Amendment.

Where are their lawsuits in California alone?????? California has SO MANY infringements, and the NRA has done squat to get them reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. State View Post
    I am so sick of this kind of attitude. You keep your freaking PERMISSION SLIP.

I HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT! I CAN CARRY MY GUN HOWEVER I WANT!

Seriously, CCW permits are 100% unconstitutional.
    It's not an "attitude" it's just a fact. My posts are in accordance with the laws. I wish we didn't need a permit for CCW

If you want to carry concealed without a permit be my guest. Just know that if you are caught you will almost certainly get ass f***ed in court.
    Last edited by catastrophic_success; 10-13-2013 at 03:28 PM.