Thread: Defensive hand-to-hand while OCing

Lightbulb Defensive hand-to-hand while OCing

What sort of tactical moves do you have planned if someone were to try to grab your gun while you are OCing? I know everybody here preaches that that is statistically very unlikely, but I would like to have a plan ready. Of course, having an increased SA level I know is important, but what about defensive moves with a knife, etc.?

I am interested to hear which particular move you would use on someone trying to grab your gun. Have you ever trained on this formally or informally? Have you ever had to use it? I read one thread here where the OCer pulled his weak side knife and it got me thinking...

There is no one move that will cover all possible gun grab attempts. And your holster has a major impact on possible gun grabs. Go take a handgun retention training course and then practice (with all the training safety rules followed as if your life depended on it - which it does.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    There is no one move that will cover all possible gun grab attempts. And your holster has a major impact on possible gun grabs. Go take a handgun retention training course and then practice (with all the training safety rules followed as if your life depended on it - which it does.)

stay safe.
    I don't have Serpa holster or the like. My holster has a medium level of retention and I wear it around 2 o'clock in order to lessen the likelihood that someone could grab it from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post
    I don't have Serpa holster or the like. My holster has a medium level of retention and I wear it around 2 o'clock in order to lessen the likelihood that someone could grab it from behind.
    I'm guessing that you mean that you have a Level 1 retention holster - friction fit only. No thumb-break strap or anything else.

Which has absolutely nothing with the fact that there is no single technique or trick that will protect you from someone pulling a sucessful gun grab. The only magic bullet is to train regularly after having gotten some decent training.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Gouge eyes, kick someone in the yahooies try and break some knees or anything else I can do to either hurt the person for attempting to grab it or to get some distance between them and my gun. But I would not just hand it over like someone did in a resent story.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggabby View Post
    Gouge eyes, kick someone in the yahooies try and break some knees or anything else I can do to either hurt the person for attempting to grab it or to get some distance between them and my gun. But I would not just hand it over like someone did in a resent story.
    All nice for discouraging the attempt, but how do any of those help you retain control of your handgun?

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    All nice for discouraging the attempt, but how do any of those help you retain control of your handgun?

stay safe.
    My answer was good enough. If you want more info then you need to ask better questions.

A lot depends on the angle of attack if you have a idea its coming or totally taken by surprise. The first action a lot of times is to secure the attackers arm and your weapon by clamping down with your weapon side arm. The following through with a counter attack.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by kinggabby View Post
    My answer was good enough. If you want more info then you need to ask better questions.
    Skidmark, feel free to correct me on this one.
    @kinggabby: I think Skidmark was referring to the fact that you say you would try to inflict damage or put distance between you and the BG, but never mention clamping down on your firearm while "blading" away from the BG, and possible diagonal movement TOWARDS BG to destabilize him/her (assuming it is only one assailant, of course).

RYM -

I think you got the essence. The first thing to do is maintain control of your handgun. There are a bazillion ways to do that, from grabbing the hand that is trying to touch it and breaking it into little pieces to running away so the hand cannot reach it.

Once control of the handgun has been secured, it is time to decide what to do about and/or to the person trying to grab it. Again, about a bazillion options.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post
    What sort of tactical moves do you have planned if someone were to try to grab your gun while you are OCing? I know everybody here preaches that that is statistically very unlikely, but I would like to have a plan ready. Of course, having an increased SA level I know is important, but what about defensive moves with a knife, etc.?

I am interested to hear which particular move you would use on someone trying to grab your gun. Have you ever trained on this formally or informally? Have you ever had to use it? I read one thread here where the OCer pulled his weak side knife and it got me thinking...
    Never take a knife to a (potential) gunfight
    The problem with trying to use a knife to fend off a gun grab attempt is that (I believe) most people would instinctively carry their knife strong-side also, which would generally result in removing some amount of physical protection from the pistol/revolver. If you carry anywhere between 2-3:30 your forearm is your best preventative measure (short of a Level II-III holster) against a gun grab. If the perp is successful in extracting your sidearm from it's holster, the best defensive move with your hands is to raise them in the air and get gone. That's my worth. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!