Thread: Edward Hambrick freed from jail after gun law ruled unconstitutional

Edward Hambrick freed from jail after gun law ruled unconstitutional

By Mike Flannery, FOX 32 News Political Editor

CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) -

Prosecutors say they've dismissed all charges against at least 103 defendants arrested for illegal gun possession in Chicago.

The State Supreme Court recently ruled that part of local gun laws to be unconstitutional. Still, a spokeswoman for State's Attorney Anita Alvarez said that anyone found carrying a firearm could still be charged with a crime.

Since FOX 32 News first reported last Thursday on the Illinois Supreme Court ruling, we've been pressing Alvarez and Chicago Police to explain their policy. On Wednesday night, a spokesperson said, "It would not be prudent for citizens to carry loaded firearms in public, whether they possess a valid Firearm Owners ID card or not. As for whether these cases would result in criminal charges...I would only say that we would evaluate any individual incident on a case-by-case basis."

Complete article at http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/23...#ixzz2fLh1LNsg

Surely it is only a matter of days before someone decides to carry a firearm (taking advantage of this lack of official censure) and has to shoot in self-defense. We may very well see a rapid drop in gun violence in Chicago within weeks. We already know legal carrying will not make it any worse. It might be an interesting year for you guys.
    Last edited by MAC702; 09-20-2013 at 01:16 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Surely it is only a matter of days before someone decides to carry a firearm (taking advantage of this lack of official censure) and has to shoot in self-defense. We may very well see a rapid drop in gun violence in Chicago within weeks. We already know legal carrying will not make it any worse. It might be an interesting year for you guys.
    Days? Maybe milli-seconds.

Go Bears !

Activist Member
    Excellent news. It has been a great year for Illinois. I would like to welcome you all into the land of firearm's freedoms. You still have a long way to go, I know; but, you have made tremendous strides this year and it came all at once it seems. It took a lot of hard work to get to this point and it will take more hard work to get Illinois (Chicago) to abide by the Second Amendment as it should have been.

Enjoy the success and congratulations from Kentucky.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 09-20-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Excellent news. It has been a great year for Illinois. I would like to welcome you all into the land of firearm's freedoms. You still have a long way to go, I know; but, you have made tremendous strides this year and it came all at once it seems. It took a lot of hard work to get to this point and it will take more hard work to get Illinois (Chicago) to abide by the Second Amendment as it should have been.

Enjoy the success and congratulations from Kentucky.
    Well said.

I've avoided many races in Illinois due to the draconian gun laws. Maybe I'll actually get to race in Illinois one day

Allow me to second that. Colorado has backslid some this year (but I am optimistic the damage will all be undone soon); I find myself coming over here to see some good things happen.

People getting out of jail because a bogus-"crime" conviction they never should have been charged on (much less convicted) is a good thing!